Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree168Likes

Thread: Who the fuk is "Sam Gibson" ?

The BSA is a sop that lows journalistc "opinions".
    chainsaw likes this.
    Summer grass
    Of stalwart warriors splendid dreams
    the aftermath.

Matsuo Basho.

Fairly typical of all media these days to find someone with an opinion at odds to what most people would expect them to hold. You could call it cynical attempt to stir up debate (if so, @Philipo took the bait) or you could say they were trying to present an alternative to the unspoken but assumed viewpoint that most hunters would support the idea of a Minister.

It’s a fair point he makes - I fail to see the benefit of having a ministry, or even of changing the status of game animals. Whether we like it or not, hunting doesn’t make a dent in the population of introduced species that competes with natives.

I think the end result will just be a pile of regulation where none is required, and some degree of user-pays to fund it all.

Sam may not speak for all hunters (and the article does not imply that he does) but I, for one, agree with him. In the absence of any major ongoing issues to address or actual policy, it seems like a blatant grab for votes.
    Philipo, Tahr, Brian and 4 others like this.

Sent to TV3 facebook --- Not happy about tonights News. Sam Gibson putting forth biased & political views while making out he represented, all peoples interests in outdoor activities. happy with TV 3 devisive jounalism, You put up a biased view on your News tonight. Sam Gibson pulling a bent & political view making out he represents all the interests of outdoors people.
    Last edited by flock; 23-07-2023 at 10:42 PM.

As soon as I saw ecologist tht was me switched off. He used to be a doc employee FFS. There is not going to be a balanced perspective here sorry.
    chainsaw, outlander and XR500 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Philipo View Post
    Yes was a sadly one sided argument, funny how that happens in todays media aye, seems modern journalism is all about being popular than facts.

PS - This Sam fulla has nothing on you @Rich007 you're a great spokesperson for the Dairy Industry, keep up the good work
    Well there you go, if you look into it you will find it's about pushing an agenda. No tin hat necissary.

It seems that with most people it takes them tramping on you know something about/value for the lights to go on...
    ‘Facts don’t care about your feelings’

Quote Originally Posted by Rich007 View Post
    Thanks Phil,

It really was a poor piece of Journalism
    Par for the course, with the mainstream media. Never let the truth get in the way of a good story.

Quote Originally Posted by flock View Post
    Sent to TV3 facebook --- Not happy about tonights News. Sam Gibson putting forth biased & political views while making out he represented, all peoples interests in outdoor activities. happy with TV 3 devisive jounalism, You put up a biased view on your News tonight. Sam Gibson pulling a bent & political view making out he represents all the interests of outdoors people.
    Standard approach for those with a "liberal" barrow to push. For "The People."

Quote Originally Posted by 300CALMAN View Post
    Well there you go, if you look into it you will find it's about pushing an agenda. No tin hat necissary.

It seems that with most people it takes them tramping on you know something about/value for the lights to go on...
    It seems to me, that a tinfoil hat is safer than a blindfold.

For those who want to see the article....

https://www.newshub.co.nz/home/polit...-as-pests.html
    7mmwsm and Moa Hunter like this.

Quote Originally Posted by mopheadrob View Post
    Fairly typical of all media these days to find someone with an opinion at odds to what most people would expect them to hold. You could call it cynical attempt to stir up debate (if so, @Philipo took the bait) or you could say they were trying to present an alternative to the unspoken but assumed viewpoint that most hunters would support the idea of a Minister.

It’s a fair point he makes - I fail to see the benefit of having a ministry, or even of changing the status of game animals. Whether we like it or not, hunting doesn’t make a dent in the population of introduced species that competes with natives.

I think the end result will just be a pile of regulation where none is required, and some degree of user-pays to fund it all.

Sam may not speak for all hunters (and the article does not imply that he does) but I, for one, agree with him. In the absence of any major ongoing issues to address or actual policy, it seems like a blatant grab for votes.
    Yes, but ii is good to have our interests represented rather than being consulted with every now and then.

A lot of what is to be gained is about the future rather than the present. The idea of reclassifying and recognising the value of 'valued introduced species' is important when you consider the growing call for introduced species to be removed (eg Trout in some waterways) and with the potential for technology in the future to allow this (eg gene editing)
    BSA, Moa Hunter, matagouri and 1 others like this.
    If my work annoys me, I cull them

was the problem the journalism or the content from Sam the Trapman?

Quote Originally Posted by ANTSMAN View Post
    was the problem the journalism or the content from Sam the Trapman?
    Or the journalist who chose Sam, knowing what would be said?
    jackson21 and Moa Hunter like this.

What did the guy say that wasn't actually true? Sage too for that matter. I thought they were good counter points. Good policy ought to be able to stand scrutiny.

You are turning into a cry-baby Philipo
    Eat Meater and BFA like this.
    Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing, and right-doing, there is a field. I will meet you there.
    - Rumi

I wonder what changing the classification of our big game species from the current "pests" would actually mean?

Quote Originally Posted by Sika 8 View Post
    I wonder what changing the classification of our big game species from the current "pests" would actually mean?
    million dollar question - what we dont want is active game management over large areas - some of the early stuff from Game Council they proposed having uniformed Rangers who would advise hunters on what they could shoot - now I agree with some game management as at present with fiordland wapiti blocks - but having someone tell me I cant shoot young stags or whatever no - we have not had that and the whole idea is abhorrent - free and unrestricted access to all Public Conservation estate -thats what the Conservation act promises us and thats what we should get - and shoot any deer without some plonker sitting on his backside in Wellington calling himself a Game Council telling us what we can or cant do -we are not dealing with endemic animals as in other countrys - the Game Council should have no say on private land either - my rant for day
    Slug, BSA, woods223 and 5 others like this.