Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Like Tree168Likes

Thread: Who the fuk is "Sam Gibson" ?

Quote Originally Posted by Philipo View Post
    My whole point n argument of this thread was "who is Sam Gibson" & why has TV3 decided that he was the guy to go too ?

I have no idea who this fulla is, I don't disagree with some of his points, for a start there's an old saying that how do you make issues & things worse - you get politician's involved & start a Ministry ie James Shaw & the idiot posse of man made global warming fuk wits, that righteous cunt does more pointless flying miles n uses more jet fuel than buzz light year.
    As we know many things in theory just don't work in practice, the gun registry is prime example - my prediction is it will blow out to costing 2 billion dollars & then be scrapped in ten years

But getting back to TV3 ( & the even worse TV1 ) funny I used to work with a guy that previously had a lot of responsibility in the Police, he would have the same interview with half a dozen reporters & every story when released was completely different, that was years ago so bring the C19 & govt payment scheme into the aquation & as we know, this is where we are.

So how did old mate Sam the pinko possum trapper end up on the news ?

Why didn't they have someone like the NZDA president on, this is a person with responsibility, Who has been voted into the position by his fellow hunters / shooters / members & has the interest's, rights & well being of all FAL holders of NZ at the top of the agenda oh no that's right it doesn't roll with the current cancel culture / woke agenda of todays media, never mind FAL holders are a dying breed, once 10% of the population sadly probably closer to maybe 3-4 % now ?

PS - I've been round long enough to know how things work & as for my comments not everyone will agree with my point of view, it is what it is, however we are all entitled to have a voice & opinion, healthy discussion ( especially over a beer face - face ) will sort most things pretty quick, legislation & miles of red tape is not the way to go.
    https://www.tvnz.co.nz/shows/wild-ka...episodes/s2-e8

@veitnamcam there is a line in middle of the bit above which might be VERY good to bring up with siad person vying for power and may get you some traction on boatramp issue...... yes its NZDA said access is important in this speil but hopefully this SAM the trapman says it too....
    Last edited by Micky Duck; 25-07-2023 at 10:31 AM.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

Sam's a good guy. Does have a lot of trapping experience, and is involved in a Whio protection programme. Hunts a fair bit in NI but comes south for chammy and tahr too.
    I'd say he's a good guy to cover our sport and hobby.
    Tahr, Nick.m, McNotty and 4 others like this.

I reckon we need to look at and listen to many stories and consider many perspectives before forming an opinion. Rather than simply blasting off.

"Its not that the single story is untrue, it's that it is incomplete".
    Nick.m, McNotty, shift14 and 8 others like this.
    Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing, and right-doing, there is a field. I will meet you there.
    - Rumi

I thought it was an exceptional article. Firstly it started with some facts, National has released what it believes is some new ideas.
    Someone new, that we’ve not heard from before, who has great conservational knowledge pointed out that many of Nationals new ideas were not actually new and that they really didn’t go far enough to address the issues around the loss of Biodiversity and habitat. Sage was also 100% right. We need better wild/pest/game animal control.
    Trophy hunters have basically been using Public Conservation Land to ‘farm’ and ‘harvest’ high value products at the tax payers expense. Our asset has devalued as a result of the overgrazing caused by unacceptable levels of grazing mammals on Public Conservation Land, no farmer would tolerate that situation on their own land, that’s why they sell and buy stock to control the amount of grazing available.

Great stuff Sam, your fresh and knowledgeable approach highlighted an important issue that needs to be addressed.

If it wasn’t for volunteer groups like the one he’s involved in NZ would be in a very sad state as far as biodiversity goes.

There’s like 300,000 licensed firearm owners in NZ isn’t there? Why do we feel so entitled?

Quote Originally Posted by craigc View Post
    I thought it was an exceptional article. Firstly it started with some facts, National has released what it believes is some new ideas.
    Someone new, that we’ve not heard from before, who has great conservational knowledge pointed out that many of Nationals new ideas were not actually new and that they really didn’t go far enough to address the issues around the loss of Biodiversity and habitat. Sage was also 100% right. We need better wild/pest/game animal control.
    Trophy hunters have basically been using Public Conservation Land to ‘farm’ and ‘harvest’ high value products at the tax payers expense. Our asset has devalued as a result of the overgrazing caused by unacceptable levels of grazing mammals on Public Conservation Land, no farmer would tolerate that situation on their own land, that’s why they sell and buy stock to control the amount of grazing available.

Great stuff Sam, your fresh and knowledgeable approach highlighted an important issue that needs to be addressed.

If it wasn’t for volunteer groups like the one he’s involved in NZ would be in a very sad state as far as biodiversity goes.

There’s like 300,000 licensed firearm owners in NZ isn’t there? Why do we feel so entitled?
    Howdy Craig
    Could you please clarify your paragraph on trophy hunting being the cause of the problem. And do you mean high end guided hunting, or anyone who targets antler/horn over meat?
    It just appears to me that the deer issue is far more wide spread than the areas with animals with trophy potential.
    Regarding Sam, he is a top guy, and those who know him would probably agree that he is totally conservation orientated, but not over the top like Sage etc.
    And who knows how long his interview was to get those few cherry picked comments.
    Personally I think that if anyone is ever asked to partake in an interview such as that, they should hold a watch close to their face (so it can't be cropped out of the picture) so the viewers can see how much of the interview has beeb cut or rearranged.
    RV1 likes this.
    Overkill is still dead.

Banned
    I submitted to the review of Doc Waro operations in Feb. Also copying my submission to the Ministers of Tourism and Conservation
    The following is one of the reply letters I received 12 July:
    National WARO – New Land Schedule Key Points

Over the last day some misunderstanding has arisen regarding the new WARO land schedule and the scale of changes from the last permit in 2015.

The Department would like to highlight the following key points in relation to the new WARO land schedule:

· There are 8.7 million hectares of public conservation land. Of this, 6.4 million hectares is accessible to WARO at some time annually (76.2%). This is only 0.1% higher than the total accessible to WARO since the last change in 2015.

· The conservation land within the schedule is designated either Permitted (accessible to WARO all year except for Christmas and the roar exclusion periods); Restricted (accessible to WARO only during certain seasons or periods) and Not Permitted (national WARO isn’t allowed at any time during the year).

· Within the 6.4 million hectares accessible to WARO, just over 4 million hectares is Permitted all year (but for Christmas and the roar). This is a 2.3% reduction since 2015. 2.4 million hectares is Restricted to part of a year (a 4.2% increase). This reflects our desire to facilitate appropriate WARO access whilst considering the role of recreational hunters.

· The land schedule review forms part of the processing of applications for new WARO permits, many of which have been around since 2018. Applicants have an expectation that their applications will be decided in a reasonable time.

Within this overview, there will be some local changes at place that both recreational hunters and WARO operators may not be happy about. While some stakeholders may feel that their feedback was not taken into consideration, it has but could only be accepted where it was consistent with the legislation, conservation management plans and the deer control policy, within which the Department is bound to operate legally, and the purpose of the consultation.

Having been considered, the Department needed to make decisions and move forward with processing the WARO applications.

Your feedback however has also provided useful views and data around WARO that has contributed to the independent systems analysis of WARO currently underway to define problems that might merit work on improvements. The aim of this work is to provide a comprehensive understanding of issues and identify opportunities to improve wild animal management throughout New Zealand.

This system analysis is a longer-term piece of work and there will be further communications about any potential changes or further consultation related to this.

Please note that whilst this is a separate process from the Department’s consideration of applications for new WARO permits, it could influence the potential term offered, for example.

We thank you for your continued engagement, further information can be found at National wild animal recovery operations (doc.govt.nz)

Nāku noa, nā/Yours sincerely

A picture containing tool Description automatically generated

Carl Jones

Senior Permissions Advisor

Hokitika Service Centre

There has been basically no change, meaning that Alpine helicopters will do their annual stag runs through the Ashburton, Rakaia, Mathias and Wanaka headwater catchments - being the best trophy stag producing areas in the country. Other companies will shoot the Hokitika etc.
    They will leave the hinds and take the big fat stags from the open basins.
    It is clear to me that this only discourages recreational hunting and achieves little for conservation. Sam does not speak for me.
    tetawa, blake, Woody and 3 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by craigc View Post

Can you please explain what it is that trophy hunters do that has cost taxpayer? And are you suggesting that trophy hunters ( or anyone, for that matter) have a greater responsibility to anything than the average citizen?