Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Winter 1080 drops

For current submissions and how to write - type 'submissions' on the DOC website.
    For 1080 matters, there is a '1080' heading on the DOC website. Note deer repellant has a budget for use from DOC - not sure how much they budget for but probably a question to be asked? Currently the repellant is sprayed onto the green carrots (pig guts if i am correct?) by a person with back pack, so time consuming which makes it expensive. What they are working on the last year or so is how to mix the repellant when the 1080 is applied which will be cheaper overall. So using deer repellant is on a case by case situation not mandatory due to funding. To know if repellant is used DOC advise such groups as NZDA/GAC because it is a two way street (NZDA are generally always asking for it to be used) and if you ask at your local DOC office/Field Centre i would expect them to provide update.
    On your 4 monthly hunting permit online they talk away getting updates via the pesticides summary for the area you wish to hunt.
    Dev likes this.

There will be more poison than listed there thrown about by OSPRI. Also, in reading that list it apoears much of the kilking will be timed for spring. Lots of young vulnerable animals just after winter ay.
    Last edited by Woody; 08-03-2019 at 08:12 AM.

Don't forget another section of molesworth will be getting done...

Quote Originally Posted by Boaraxa View Post
    In some instances Deer repellent has been used that could be worth pushing for seen as how they are RHA areas
    Thought it was a requirement in an RHA no?

I’ve tried looking as well but not luck. It’s buried in there somewhere, I think?
    Interesting that the 1080 doesn’t kill fresh water crayfish page has disappeared?!
    I wander what the levels are in freshwater shell fish, not that you eat them but still would be interesting.
    It's all fun and games till Darthvader comes along
    I respect your beliefs but don't impose them on me.

It's all fun and games till Darthvader comes along
    I respect your beliefs but don't impose them on me.

Link to DOC site page:

https://www.doc.govt.nz/news/media-r...st-management/

Quote from this page:
    "
    * DOC has been working with the Game Animal Council and New Zealand Deerstalkers' Association to address their concerns about the impact of 1080 use on deer in areas of particular value for hunting.

* DOC will use deer repellent in 1080 cereal bait at three Battle for our Birds pest contol sites this year to mitigate the risk to deer in valued hunting areas in the Cobb valley in Kahurangi National Park, Dart and Caples valleys in Mount Aspiring National Park and Blue Mountains in Southland.
    "