Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 LastLast
Like Tree200Likes

Thread: World Record Red Deer!!!!......according to an American

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    Quote Originally Posted by Toby View Post
    Does the enviroment do much to the head.
    Hell yes.
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

A thought relating to toby's. Obviously the gene pool would have somethin to do with it too, but I wonder if part of the reason kaimai heads are so small is to do with the thick bush. Whether by natural selection (big heads were a survival disadvantage because they get tangled in suple jack) or by something else like the response of the antler to stunt growth in velvet when it gets battered around in the thick stuff so much.

Sent from my MB525 using Tapatalk 2
    graham99 and Toby like this.
    Yeah nah bro

Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt.

Hey guys i am new to the form, as well as deer hunting but just wanted to share my unique perspective on what a "trophy stag" is. In my opinion measuring the trophy value of a stag through the length and arrangement of the two bones poking out of its skull is a very primitive method of judging the true value of the animal. Instead i believe that the success of a particular hunt should be judged on the experience the hunter gains, and enjoyment of the meat he/ she harvests.

It seems Alien to me why many American hunters would want to come to a country that they probably would otherwise never have visited, to be lead up to and knock over a "trophy stag" that in my opinion has been breed solely for this purpose. Whats more is that they would then go and use a mathematical equation to measure the animals worth , before taking it home and dangling it off there wall in memory of a great "hunt".

Just my personal opinion...
    veitnamcam and JP100 like this.

I guess, Dawg, it all pretty much remains the individual's choices in the matter...I agree with you, any edible animal is a trophy with regard to sustenance. Some hunters prefer animals with a rack that has great symmetry, not necessarily the measurations of it. But we humans will collect articles that have meaning to us and if that includes taxidermy of every species of deer in the country, then so be it...to my eye, there is nothing quite as handsome as a very nicely mounted eight point Sika head...whether or not the oven was grateful! And we can have a nonchalant view on the collection of trophies but when you bring down a stag with a head of great symmetry, you do feel greatly inclined to have it as an ornament on the wall. And if you have hauled that animal out of rough country, and just about blown a gasket through your endeavour, after an exciting hunt where all your senses are on red alert, those eight points do really mean something...
    Dawg likes this.
    ...amitie, respect mutuel et amour...

...le beau et le bon, cela rime avec Breton!...

EeeBees, i absolutely agree with you that a hard earned stag that you have stalked, cleanly killed and carried out of the bush personally will have great sentimental value, and by all means have the head mounted and hung from your wall if you are so inclined. However what i find frustrating is when people, like this American woman and many others for that matter pay huge money to come to New Zealand solely to bring a massive stag head home to hang as an ornamental "hunting" trophy when i suspect very little hunting was actually involved. Personally the primary motive to go hunting is to hopefully harvest meat, after all ammunition and firearms aren't free and there has to be some economic return. If the animal that you happen to shoot is of trophy potential then that's a bonus, however i highly doubt that meat is the primary motivation for international trophy hunters travelling to New Zealand.

No meat is not the motive. Hyperthetically, if you were given an opportunity to hunt Reds on an estate in Scotland would you decline?

God damn. At what point does it become animal cruelty making the things walk around with fucking trees on their heads?

I'm not against anyone making a buck or ripping some yanks off, but anyone ever worn even an older style (heavier) headlamp all night? Can be amazingly tough on the neck just a little bit more weight.

Pretty new to hunting and no trophy inclination. Any trophy I ever take will be something I did all on my own. Don't understand paying tens of thousands and having your hand held the whole way. Mind you, I guess it's not too different from feeders and tree stands so maybe that's where it stems from.
    veitnamcam likes this.

EeeBees, Hypothetically if i was given the chance to hunt anywhere new i would take up the opportunity to gain experience and meet new hunters, however i would not be interested in paying money to be guided up to some animal regardless of its trophy potential, to shoot and hang on my wall whether it be in an operation run here in New Zealand or in Scotland.

'Free Range' the term is used as loosley as the writing you see on egg cartons..

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Tapatalk
    username likes this.

Sorry but if i won $1m bucks i would be on the next flight to the states to hunt moose, bear, caribou, Dall sheep, mountain goat. I hope to hunt at least one of them before my time is up. Same diff! None of you want to do this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    EeeBees likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by username View Post
    Sorry but if i won $1m bucks i would be on the next flight to the states to hunt moose, bear, caribou, Dall sheep, mountain goat. I hope to hunt at least one of them before my time is up. Same diff! None of you want to do this?

I'd like to go shooting pigs from a helicopter in Texas that looks fun
    username likes this.
    VIVA LA HOWA

shit yea thats the dream. but those animals are wild. not breed in pens.

Would you want to "hunt" any of the above that had been farmed and let out of the enclosure the day before just for you to shoot?
    Dawg likes this.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

I was more getting at the guided part. My understanding is that you can only hunt these animals through outfitters

Quote Originally Posted by MattyP View Post
    God damn. At what point does it become animal cruelty making the things walk around with fucking trees on their heads?

I'm not against anyone making a buck or ripping some yanks off, but anyone ever worn even an older style (heavier) headlamp all night? Can be amazingly tough on the neck just a little bit more weight.

Pretty new to hunting and no trophy inclination. Any trophy I ever take will be something I did all on my own. Don't understand paying tens of thousands and having your hand held the whole way. Mind you, I guess it's not too different from feeders and tree stands so maybe that's where it stems from.
    MattyP, you write you have no trophy inclination but you are ok with people 'ripping yanks off' as you put it...