Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree54Likes

Thread: 1970s police issue AOS rifle

I found the Vixens mag could hold six rounds - and you could still fit one ‘up the spout’.
    caberslash likes this.
    ‘Many of my bullets have died in vain’

Quote Originally Posted by csmiffy View Post
    @grandpamac 8 shots. Geez that would be a great little gun for that sort of work. @gundoc hard to believe that the cops actually wouldnt want advice to be better especially in a situation where firearms are involved.
    Ah wait, sorry. That sounds exactly like the coppers
    Greetings Csmiffy,
    The action was intended for the .308, .243 and the like plus is had a dropped mag. I think this is the right term where the floor plate is part way down the front of the trigger guard. You see this on African rifles for the big fat cartridges. It might have been 7 but it was more than the 5 for my VSSF and 4 in the T3. It was a nice rifle but not up to the NZDA target shooting I was doing when I sold it and got the VSSF.
    Regards Grandpamac.
    csmiffy and caberslash like this.

Would an ex-police rifle qualify for classic service rifle class��

Probably not as fun as the Enfield but certainly cheaper to feed and more shoulder friendly.
    40mm likes this.

I also have one of these that was used by a country cop that had approximately 50-100 rounds max through it when purchased.Still has the pop up sight.
    Lovely little rifle thats accounted for a few thousand goats and the odd deer. Other than a a couple of boxs of military solids its lived most of its life being feed hornady 60gr SP reloads, Now days its on 64 grain federals for ease of buying. One rifle i'd never sell for sentimental reasons plus shoots better still than i can hold it.

My mate had one of the Brno's. His was a 222 even though the plate in the magazine was stamped 223. Was an accurate rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by Swanny View Post
    My mate had one of the Brno's. His was a 222 even though the plate in the magazine was stamped 223. Was an accurate rifle.
    I too have one in that configuration. Not sure what the deal is.

Quote Originally Posted by Trissaayne View Post
    I also have one of these that was used by a country cop that had approximately 50-100 rounds max through it when purchased.Still has the pop up sight.
    Lovely little rifle thats accounted for a few thousand goats and the odd deer. Other than a a couple of boxs of military solids its lived most of its life being feed hornady 60gr SP reloads, Now days its on 64 grain federals for ease of buying. One rifle i'd never sell for sentimental reasons plus shoots better still than i can hold it.
    I will be trying those today then! Thanks.

Did yours have any optics mounted to it?

I understan that feeling of sentiment. This one had too is an heirloom. Odd, coz i dont have kids!

Quote Originally Posted by PeteD View Post
    Would an ex-police rifle qualify for classic service rifle class��

Probably not as fun as the Enfield but certainly cheaper to feed and more shoulder friendly.
    Interesting point there.
    Dont know. I should really find out

Quote Originally Posted by grandpamac View Post
    Greetings All,
    I had one of the Brno .223 rifles in the 1980's and 1990,s. Mine had the non cheek piece stock and a standard trigger. It also had seen quite a bit of use with a long throat and a burn ring on the bolt face. My rifle had the number 10 stamped under the fore end and still had its pop up aperture sight. I was told at the time that the police had used 5.56 military ammo which is too hot for the .223 chamber and caused problems. I used mine for shooting targets, hares and a lot of goats. Accuracy was reasonable but nowhere as good as the two .223 rifles that replaced it.
    Regards Grandpamac.
    Thanks for that

I was hoping to get it shooting through the same hole at 100m but I doubt it could do that no matter how hard someone, that can actually shoot, tried.

Quote Originally Posted by DCN808T View Post
    Thanks for that

I was hoping to get it shooting through the same hole at 100m but I doubt it could do that no matter how hard someone, that can actually shoot, tried.
    Try and slide a business card under the barrel all the way along to the receiver ring.

I have come across 3 Brno 601s that had high spots on the inletting for the barrel channel. 5 minutes with some sand paper would fix that problem
    "Sixty percent of the time,it works every time"

This was my first rifle given to me by my father for my 17th birthday, had a hair trigger and I loved the 8 shot mag. In the 10yrs I had it I probably shot in excess of 400 deer with it selling most of them to mair venison, years later for mainly sentimental reasons I often regret getting rid of it

I will be trying those today then! Thanks.

Did yours have any optics mounted to it?

I understan that feeling of sentiment. This one had too is an heirloom. Odd, coz i dont have kids!
    Mine came without optics, i think all/most of them were sold bare of optics. Was my first centrefire and been on so many memorable trips now its like one of the family. It was when we first had it able to do multiple touching shots down at the range with the right shooter. No that shooter wasnt me but a old now deceased friend that used to target shoot and who did all the reloading for it.

I stand to be corrected, but pretty damn sure the AOS Brno 601's were never issued with optics, just the factory pop up peep.Similarly the successor vixens issued with rear tangent sights.Seem to recall the Head Office rationale circa early 1970,s with the then general poor quality of scopes, was that irons were more reliable.

Quote Originally Posted by norsk View Post
    Try and slide a business card under the barrel all the way along to the receiver ring.

I have come across 3 Brno 601s that had high spots on the inletting for the barrel channel. 5 minutes with some sand paper would fix that problem
    Yeah there is no gap between forestock and barrel. Best i get that sorted ey?!

Yeah there is no gap between forestock and barrel. Best i get that sorted ey?!
    Would double check it first, some of the older rifles were stocked with a deliberate bump to put upwards pressure on the barrel.

Have seen this myself on an old Sako and due to the location and size of the bump I suspect they used a 'one size fits all' approach to barrel harmonics, might have actually worked with a particular factory loading which the rifle was sold with at the time.

Lee Enfields were mostly stocked with upward pressure on the barrel and they seem to shoot OK...ish...
    zimmer likes this.