Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree54Likes

Thread: 1970s police issue AOS rifle

Quote Originally Posted by caberslash View Post
    Would double check it first, some of the older rifles were stocked with a deliberate bump to put upwards pressure on the barrel.

Have seen this myself on an old Sako and due to the location and size of the bump I suspect they used a 'one size fits all' approach to barrel harmonics, might have actually worked with a particular factory loading which the rifle was sold with at the time.

Lee Enfields were mostly stocked with upward pressure on the barrel and they seem to shoot OK...ish...
    Yep, my old Sako Forester when new had a sharpish ridge of wood under the barrel in the fore end. I glass bedded the action and free floated the barrel.
    caberslash likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by zimmer View Post
    Yep, my old Sako Forester when new had a sharpish ridge of wood under the barrel in the fore end. I glass bedded the action and free floated the barrel.
    Did that improve it noticeably?

Quote Originally Posted by DCN808T View Post
    Yeah there is no gap between forestock and barrel. Best i get that sorted ey?!
    They were designed that way , the pressure under the barrel at the fore stock is to make up for the poor bedding of the action . Free floating the barrel and bedding the action can show better results? , but there is no guarantee it will shoot better than as it is now .
    zimmer and caberslash like this.