Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: 22 Semi Auto

MB
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben Waimata View Post
    Yeah, it's amazing. I like mine, but so many people on this forum appear to hate 10/22s with a deranged passion.
    I did until I put 10 shots through the same hole at 50m with my mates rusted and abused 10/22. If I wanted a semi-auto, I'd definitely consider the 10/22 Target/Competition versions.

10/22 , I trash mine here in Central Otago, super reliable and very accurate.
    Not ammo fussy and comfortable to carry for hours.
    Mine shoots very tight little groups and there's probably not a rifle out there that is more customizable.

Stupidly I sold my 10/22 that I purchased in the late 1970's. It shot accurately and dependably during the hey day of possum shooting for good coin. Thousands of rounds through it and it just kept going...In stock form.

When I was in a more financial place I purchased a new one in the early 2000's and it has been a piece of crap. Had to spend $$ getting a decent barrel and a decent trigger and a better extractor. It now shoots accurately....when it decides to shoot. If I could afford to, I would drive over it in the bulldozer and do a zero turn on it, it fucks me off that much.

For hares bothering my tree plantations, I much prefer the .223. Its just so much more...efficient

Quote Originally Posted by MB View Post
    I did until I put 10 shots through the same hole at 50m with my mates rusted and abused 10/22. If I wanted a semi-auto, I'd definitely consider the 10/22 Target/Competition versions.
    Did you have bad experiences with them, or just a general dislike?

I find the only problem with my 10/22 is I need to clean and retension the rotary magazine occaisonally. Once ever 3 or 4 years seems to do the trick.

10/22.

MB
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben Waimata View Post
    Did you have bad experiences with them, or just a general dislike?
    My starting point was that I didn't like semi-autos. Just personal preference. Another mate's 10/22 jammed every time at exactly the wrong time.

Used a mates 10/22 for a while. Didn’t mind it. Was quite a few fan boys of 10/22s back then.

Me being me bought a Marlin 795.

Picked up wood/blue used 10/22 coupe of weeks ago in a shop….now I have a hankering for a wood/blue 10/22. Don’t want a plastic one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    zimmer likes this.

Tiro - are you selling that 795 - may be in the market for one.

Had a 10/22 but sold it due to jamming and the plastic stock was too small, felt like a toy. Got a Toz, agricultural but works ok and cleanings a breeze.
    timattalon likes this.

Actually if I was in the market for a new semi auot 22lr I'd be seriously considering the new Winchester wildcat, I held one at guncity and it seemed an ideal lightweight farm option. I liked the iron sights as well, but inbuilt rail for those who prefer scopes.

Quote Originally Posted by mudgripz View Post
    I like small game shooting with a mate with a 10/22, ... means there are more for me to shoot with the 795. If mate has a 795 too there is a bit more competition. Marlin the biggest selling semi 22lr worldwide.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

Quote Originally Posted by XR500 View Post
    Stupidly I sold my 10/22 that I purchased in the late 1970's. It shot accurately and dependably during the hey day of possum shooting for good coin. Thousands of rounds through it and it just kept going...In stock form.

When I was in a more financial place I purchased a new one in the early 2000's and it has been a piece of crap. Had to spend $$ getting a decent barrel and a decent trigger and a better extractor. It now shoots accurately....when it decides to shoot. If I could afford to, I would drive over it in the bulldozer and do a zero turn on it, it fucks me off that much.

For hares bothering my tree plantations, I much prefer the .223. Its just so much more...efficient
    @XR500 therein lies the issue with Ruger 10/22s in my view. I love the design and in the hey days of the 70s and early 80s they were made with pride and care- meaning Ruger actually wanted to make decent quality firearms. After that, the beancounters took over and processes were changes and QC suffered. The one I had was circa early 90s. I got it because I was so impressed with the older ones I had used as a kid (under supervision of course) but was horribly disappointed with the one I got. I was lucky to get less than a 4 or 5 inch group at 50 metres- certainly could not consistently hit a rabbit. Some of the later ones shoot like lasers- others seem to shoot lie they were made for a storm trooper. (Could not hit a barn door from inside a barn made of doors...) If you find or have a good one- hang onto it- if you have a rubbish one either start replacing bits or get rid of it. My experience soured me to them and I have only ever bought another one and it was a take down version....And I still preferred the papoose. Sold both- only regret selling the papoose.
    Intelligence has its limits, but it appears that Stupidity knows no bounds......

Quote Originally Posted by mudgripz View Post
    Wasn’t gonna sell it….I just have a hankering for a wood/blue 10/22….. bastard of a disease to have…

Quote Originally Posted by timattalon View Post
    @XR500 therein lies the issue with Ruger 10/22s in my view. I love the design and in the hey days of the 70s and early 80s they were made with pride and care- meaning Ruger actually wanted to make decent quality firearms. After that, the beancounters took over and processes were changes and QC suffered. The one I had was circa early 90s. I got it because I was so impressed with the older ones I had used as a kid (under supervision of course) but was horribly disappointed with the one I got. I was lucky to get less than a 4 or 5 inch group at 50 metres- certainly could not consistently hit a rabbit. Some of the later ones shoot like lasers- others seem to shoot lie they were made for a storm trooper. (Could not hit a barn door from inside a barn made of doors...) If you find or have a good one- hang onto it- if you have a rubbish one either start replacing bits or get rid of it. My experience soured me to them and I have only ever bought another one and it was a take down version....And I still preferred the papoose. Sold both- only regret selling the papoose.
    Yes I would certainly be looking for a older serial number one..

rugerman likes this.

10/ 22,mine is stainless so I used camo tape,scope silencer anything upto 80m spot on
    Cci sub s it loves best
    rugerman likes this.