Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: .22 semi-auto. Remington 597 or?

.22 semi-auto. Remington 597 or?

I've recently started looking for a semi-auto .22 to complement my bolt action Jw15. I had my eye on a 10/22, but they're mostly out of my price range (I'm looking at $400 max).

I've just become aware of the Remington 597 as a 10/22 competitor. I've seen (and missed!) a few 597s on trademe recently, so have an eye out for one at the moment. However, I'm slightly concerned about parts availability going forward, with Remington having discontinued the rifle and seemingly all of their 22LR range. I presume this has crossed the mind of a few 597 owners?

Alternatively, my friends have pointed me towards the Rossi 7022. I had a play with one today. Extremely light. Seems to have good reviews and it's hard to argue with the price. It does feel a little cheap (not a great trigger).

Interested to hear from Remington and Rossi owners about the pros/cons.

I had a 597 for a while. they can be a bit problematic the mags had a problem if you loaded more than 8 in it from memory. Id look at a marlin..

I would leave the Remmy 597 - yes they could be quite problematic. I recall speaking to Remington importer a few years back and the 597 was not a success for them.

For your budget I would get a Marlin 795. Much more reliable than Rem 597, and Marlin 22s have good barrels. My present 795SS will average - that's average - under 0.5" at 50m with CCI minimag in 3 consecutive groups. That's good - and much better than our stock Ruger 10/22s.

Rossis are another entry-level CBC Brazilian product and quality is variable - can be ok but many are not. Very light, somewhat flimsy. You'd be much better off with Marlin 795 and they pop up quite often on trademe for $$350 or so. Two on tme now...one in Guncity Akld for $349..
    Last edited by mudgripz; 30-09-2023 at 11:49 PM.
    Micky Duck, blip and 11mms like this.

I've got a 597 I've had since 2006 and it's a great wee rifle.
    You need to buy a volqurtsen extractor otherwise the reliability is iffy. I had some ammo that would jam 7/10 round from a mag, since changing the extractor it runs almost flawless.

If you want to be able to buy accessories then get a 10/22, otherwise the 597 is a pretty good option.

I had a 597 that's was a great rifle. It was picky on ammo, but very accurate for a semi. Using sk subsonic ammo it ran flawlessly. There is a lot of info on how to make them cycle well out there, I regret selling mine. But it was horrible with ammo it didn't like.
    Last edited by Nathanfish; 01-10-2023 at 06:01 AM. Reason: Shit spelling

Mine was very accurate and was reliable after a bit of work. But if your not good at sorting out problem rifles that 795 would be a better option. What are you going to use it for?

I had one and didnt have problems, but i didnt use it much.
    I pulled it apart and it seemed cheap and nasty to me.

Sold it.

Go without for longer while you save for a good used 10/22
    Bill999 likes this.
    Use enough gun

Thanks all for the feedback. I had a look at the Gun City Marlin 795 this morning, alongside another Rossi. The differences are barely discernable.

I'll keep an eye on trademe for a week or two. Might grab the Rossi, unless a 597 or Marlin shows up for the right price.

just get a 10/22 and be done with it, preferable one of the older ones with the alloy trigger housing
    40mm and witchcraft like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Magua View Post
    Thanks all for the feedback. I had a look at the Gun City Marlin 795 this morning, alongside another Rossi. The differences are barely discernable.

I'll keep an eye on trademe for a week or two. Might grab the Rossi, unless a 597 or Marlin shows up for the right price.
    The differences between them may be hard to spot but the marlin would be a better buy than the rossi hands down
    mudgripz and zimmer like this.

The little Marlin may not look a lot different to the Rossi but it has way better tolerances, barrel and manufacture.
    It will prove to be a more accurate and reliable hunting rifle over the years.
    mudgripz and short swede like this.

As above, have 2 Marlin 795s both great accurate 22.

Having owened a few different semis 1022 597 walther stirling mossberg sportco etc if I was looking for a modern semi Id go for the marlin, but for the time being the sportco is accurate and reliable..

Banned
    Nothing wrong with many of those older , walnut-and- blued steel semis - made back when rifle companies took pride in their products.
    norsk and blip like this.

see if the stirling that was up for sale on here in last month...
    75/15/10 black powder matters