Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: .22 semi-auto. Remington 597 or?

I would sit tight and wait for a good deal on an old 1022, The one with the alloy trigger housing is best and I often see them come up for $350-$400 as people sell them thinking they are old and tatty looking. Best way to pick the alloy trigger model from photos is that the paint is often chipped away a little bit around the trigger. In your budget the 1022 is the best pick for aftermarket parts availability and modularity, and the old ones are usually fairly accurate and cycle well.
    40mm likes this.

I've got a pair of Marlin 795's and apart from a fairly heavy trigger I can't fault them. They cycle everything with and without a suppressor, can't comment on the grouping as I'm the shit component. If you're interested in trying them sometime send me a PM once you're able.
    I'm not planning on selling but they do hit the market quite cheap sometimes, it may be nice to see how you like them first.
    Magua likes this.

I've spent a bit of time on youtube over the last week (reckon I've gone down the rabbit hole with this new rifle search). The 795 does get a lot of praise for its accuracy.

Looks like you can still get some great results from the Rossi with a bit of tweaking.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uAlj...b_channel=STKO

I'm not in a rush, so will keep an eye out. I appreciate all the advice everyone is chipping in.

Have you looked into The Manukau Sporting Rifle Club. Based in Howick they shoot Wednesday nights. It's a good place to meet others that enjoy .22 rimfires
    https://msrc.co.nz/
    Magua likes this.

I can’t offer advice re the Rossi or 597 but do have a couple of 10/22s: 1 about 50 years old and a fairly new 10/22 competition as well as having a Marlin 7000 which is a heavy barrel version of the 795. The 7000 is as accurate as my 10/22 competition and is far less fussy with different ammo. My old 10/22 doesn’t mind what ammo is used but I did put a BX trigger in it to improve the accuracy a bit. Sounds like the 795 can be just as accurate as the 7000 and the last shot bolt hold open on the Marlins is a great feature that the 10/22 doesn’t have. My only reservations with the Marlins are the heavy trigger which takes a bit to reduce and scarcity of parts like the bolt buffer - I got the last one that Reloaders had. I’m also a member at MSRC - great bunch of guys and yes, a wide variety of rifles and scopes being used. The website No good names left mentioned has all the contact details. Good luck with your search

Lol those Stirlings can be bloody good buys, but the looks with the case deflector like an afterthought
    Had a lil laser beam till they decided any semi will make u a mass murderer in oz

I had a stirling that was the same with any ammo you fed it

Had a 597 and they just jam…….tried
    Various mags

Go for the Marlin or a tippman - incredibly accurate

Where do you get a tippman for $400?

STC
    Stay away from the 597

The design is absolute rubbish, barrel-receiver connection is flimsy as and the trigger is atrocious.

Feeding is proiblematic at best and the magazine is not too flash either.

Whoever designed this piece of crap should stick to toilet paper holders.

at least with the 10/22 it was supposed to compete with replacement triggers and other parts are readily available.

Question for the 795 owners. With Marlin now owned by Ruger, are 795 parts also going to be hard to come by? Seems the collapse of Remington is narrowing the semi auto 22 market a bit.

I had a 597 in 22mag. Didn't feed that well and the trigger was like trying to snap a popsicle stick. Had my son lined up on his first hare and said squeeze nice and gently...the hare ran away before he was able to fire, he even had me check the safety was off again as he thought it was jammed.

This conversation seems familiar.
    Welcome to Sako club.