Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: .223 Rounds

Ejected
    Quote Originally Posted by gimp View Post
    Reloading is bugger all cheaper, brass and bullets cost a fucking fortune. Can't reload for the price I paid for Hornady steel cased training ammo.
    60c a round without brass as opposed to $1+ and that's not using the cheap components. Looks cheaper to me gimp.
    Dillion 650 and reloading is no problem. In fact it would take a lot longer to drive to the shop than it would to knock a few hundred rounds up.....

im reloading .223 vmax at about .60c ea compared to $2 ea off the shelf. might not be cheaper than steel cased ammo but at least this way I get a better round for the same price

I paid from memory 61 cents per round for the steel cased hornady, and try find any quantity of .223 brass for less than about 25 cents per case (if you can I'll buy 1000)

cheapest cases ~25c cheapest projectile ~20-25c. The absolute cheapest projectile I've found is 18 cents per, for Barnaul projectiles. Even the "cheap" Nosler 55gr SP is ~$130/500 = 26 cents per, Hornady 55sp are all ~25c.

You can't get it cheaper than just buying the steel cased hornady, not to a degree that it's worth the mucking around. Of course the steel cased hornady doesn't exist anymore.

If we could get bulk cheap projectiles and bulk once fired .mil brass it would be a different story.

there's a guy selling mixed used .223 brass of unknown history on trademe for 22 cents per case but... not super keen on using range pickup mixed brass

Ejected
    I don't like the military cases, can't be arsed swagging etc to get them to work, and then only sort of. My prefered method is pay the money and get good brass that's hassle free. Then make sure I recover it. Once you get into the groove of that it's autopilot and doesn't slow you down at all.

I doubt we'll ever see the hornady training ammo again, and if we do it will have priced itself off the it works, we need it market. Dumbarses are paying way too much for what's left now.

Sellier & Bellot is the best quality I have used so far. More expensive than Hornady etc but the better out of the more commercial brands.

The steel case Hornady training stuff is just as good as the brass case, and a fair bit cheaper.
    Haven't seen it for a long time though.

I found no noticeable difference between the steel and brass hornady in both accuracy and chrony speed. I can swap between the two without re-zeroing.

Quote Originally Posted by gimp View Post
    I paid from memory 61 cents per round for the steel cased hornady, and try find any quantity of .223 brass for less than about 25 cents per case (if you can I'll buy 1000)

cheapest cases ~25c cheapest projectile ~20-25c. The absolute cheapest projectile I've found is 18 cents per, for Barnaul projectiles. Even the "cheap" Nosler 55gr SP is ~$130/500 = 26 cents per, Hornady 55sp are all ~25c.

You can't get it cheaper than just buying the steel cased hornady, not to a degree that it's worth the mucking around. Of course the steel cased hornady doesn't exist anymore.

If we could get bulk cheap projectiles and bulk once fired .mil brass it would be a different story.
    Gunworks were selling ex military RG brass at from memory $14/100. I grabbed 400, should have grabbed more.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

The cheapest way to reload, is buy factory cases and reload .When you buy second hand cases, there is to much work on the cases to do before you start to reload. If you take into account all the work to reload it works out around $1.35/ round for 223 .Using reloads you have the options of the best products and powder available.

Quote Originally Posted by gadgetman View Post
    Gunworks were selling ex military RG brass at from memory $14/100. I grabbed 400, should have grabbed more.
    $80/500, I bought 500, should have gotten as many as possible

Fuck buying new brass for a semi, it's pretty much one firing and gone

I try to visit the local range our lads in blue use, after they have finished their training. Best brass is FREE.
    With the AR I clean it, load it, shoot it, reload it again, shoot it and leave it. Cases failures in ARs cause kaos and not worth the risk.
    All those with dogs waiting no longer fear death. Those with many dogs waiting even welcome it in it's time.

Keep safe in the hills! Gunzrrr's Avatar
    Sportways seem to be closing down and they might have some of that cheap American Eagle branded stuff. 50gr was all they had when I was there a coupe of weeks ago.

Is anyone stocking the steel cased training ammo yet? I had to head out and purchase 4 boxes of brass ones for a service rifle shoot this weekend. It's going to be an expensive weekend me thinks

Quote Originally Posted by James J. View Post
    Is there a chance that all this panic in the states will calm down? Or will it only get worse?
    It won't calm down until that piece of shit Marxist is out of the White House.If Hillary gets in forget it.They'll be a civil war.
    The takers outnumber the makers now.Plus a million turd world immigrants per year. If I go to Sportsmans Warehouse when it opens theres 20 guys waiting at the door.Theres plenty of shotgun shells and non military caliber ammo.No .22lr.At the gunshow they sold 4 tractor trailer loads of ammo.The ammo hoard in this country is phenomenal.i myself have @18,000 rds plus 1500 percussion caps and 5lbs of triple seven.Plenty of 777,so I'll get more of that too.Sorry guys,we need it worse than you,WOT !