Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: 243 vs 30.06

Re: 243 vs 30.06

Iv had 2 dinner plate sized wounds on a stag at 50ish yards that failed to reach the vitals. He wasn't a big red either. Launched from a 308 at around 2850fps.
    They do drop lung shot deer like the hammer of Thor out at 2or3 hundred tho. But then so do Barnes and they don't blow up up close

Sent from my GT-S5360T using Tapatalk 2
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

243 vs 30.06

...try substituting the 150 grain Nosler ballistic tips for 150 grain Accubonds and you will have a suitable, flat shooting round with controlled expansion for anything your likely to hunt in NZ.

It still cracks me up the way people on this forum (and others) refer to a 150gr 30-06 as flat shooting and a 150gr 308 as throwing a brick. A whole 50-100fps difference (in factory ammo at least, dunno about handloads).
    Last edited by GravelBen; 10-12-2012 at 06:50 PM.
    veitnamcam and Savage1 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    Iv had 2 dinner plate sized wounds on a stag at 50ish yards that failed to reach the vitals. He wasn't a big red either. Launched from a 308 at around 2850fps.
    They do drop lung shot deer like the hammer of Thor out at 2or3 hundred tho. But then so do Barnes and they don't blow up up close

That's unreal, the stag I shot with them last year was a fair hefty size and it blew his holder to bits, hart hunter and I were picking bits of bone out of the exit wound from the other shoulder.
    Always thought its funny how different some Opinions on things can be - neither having to be right or wrong just different, I guess it only takes a small variable to completely change how a bullet reacts hey!

Quote Originally Posted by Hart hunter View Post
    I'm hoping to chase reds or tahr. Yer I do most of my shooting with the 243 and it shoots under an inch at hundred and the 30.06 does a inch. I think it's more realistic to take the 30.06 so I might load the hornady sst 150s rather then the nosler ballistic tip. Thanks guys for all your feed back
    Hart Hunter check this website out plenty to ready and watch Terminal Ballistics Research

Re: 243 vs 30.06

Quote Originally Posted by Jackp. View Post
    That's unreal, the stag I shot with them last year was a fair hefty size and it blew his holder to bits, hart hunter and I were picking bits of bone out of the exit wound from the other shoulder.
    Always thought its funny how different some Opinions on things can be - neither having to be right or wrong just different, I guess it only takes a small variable to completely change how a bullet reacts hey!
    Yep i had shot around 15 deer with them and thought they were the ducks nuts then that happens.

"Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.