Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree85Likes

Thread: .270WSM Experiences?

Haha sorry Danny, my bad.
    dannyb likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by dannyb View Post
    I don't think 15 yards would be ethical
    I'm bored. Let's head off topic with a debate on what "ethical" means in a hunting context.
    dannyb likes this.
    Just...say...the...word

I have had limited experience with the 270 WSM, mine was only used in Canada at my son's place. The load we used was the Barnes XLC 130 gr at over 3200 fps. I shot two Mule Deer Bucks with that load, one at 298 yards and the other at 70 yards. Performance was good but I would have liked to try the ELD X in it if they were around back then.
    My son shot a Black Bear with it at around 300 yards if my memory is right dropping it on the spot.
    For NZ I think it has a lot of merit, it would be a good allrounder like the 270 Win but on steroids. ( although my 270 Win load with the 145 gr ELD X is encroaching on 270 WSM territory)
    They are nice to shoot , not to heavy a recoil and accurate. The one I had was a Browning A Bolt with a Bushnell 3x 9 x 3200 on it. ( be fore dial up took off)
    I wouldn't hesitate to use it on Elk or Moose size animals with the right bullets at sensible ranges.
    A much underrated one of the WSM family especially now as we have better projectiles now days.
    Tahr and dannyb like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Mooseman View Post
    I have had limited experience with the 270 WSM, mine was only used in Canada at my son's place. The load we used was the Barnes XLC 130 gr at over 3200 fps. I shot two Mule Deer Bucks with that load, one at 298 yards and the other at 70 yards. Performance was good but I would have liked to try the ELD X in it if they were around back then.
    My son shot a Black Bear with it at around 300 yards if my memory is right dropping it on the spot.
    For NZ I think it has a lot of merit, it would be a good allrounder like the 270 Win but on steroids. ( although my 270 Win load with the 145 gr ELD X is encroaching on 270 WSM territory)
    They are nice to shoot , not to heavy a recoil and accurate. The one I had was a Browning A Bolt with a Bushnell 3x 9 x 3200 on it. ( be fore dial up took off)
    I wouldn't hesitate to use it on Elk or Moose size animals with the right bullets at sensible ranges.
    A much underrated one of the WSM family especially now as we have better projectiles now days.
    Yup one of the reasons I went from win to wsm my win load was doing 2950fps no pressure and probably could've stoked it up hotter but the wsm should be comfortable good for 3200fps with the same 145g eldx, very flat shooting hard hitting caliber
    Tahr and Mooseman like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Flyblown View Post
    I'm bored. Let's head off topic with a debate on what "ethical" means in a hunting context.
    Aye aye captain. Speak your mind..

now you fellas saying there is no suitable softy projectiles.....now a 150grn partition is pretty darn good in the std .270 winchester...its just got to be better in the faster case....or maybe the 160grn might hold up better...to my mind you get best of both worlds with a partition..soft enough to open up and solid shank to power through.

Quote Originally Posted by Flyblown View Post
    Aye aye captain. Speak your mind..

Actually, this deserves a separate thread.

My first WSM was a 270. My main load was a Nosler 140gr BT doing a mild 3100fps which was superbly accurate. I really wanted to use the 150gr BT but at the time there were none around so tried 150gr SST's....although they were accurate, i wasnt getting the bang flops i was acustomed to so went back to the 140's.
    Tahr likes this.

I have a Weatherby 270wsm and have shot chamois,thar,goats and fallow with the hornady 150g sst works well for me longest shot only 300m though
    Tahr likes this.

Everything I have pointed my 270wsm at has died on the spot from 0-600+yds, I have used a few different loads, starting with the 150LRAB doing 3280fps, the 150gr Berger VLD hunting using the exact same load and again doing 3280fps and at the moment since having the proof barrel put on it I have been using factory Norma 150gr Oryx, this is reasonably mild at 3100fps and both the deer I have shot with it have been pretty close (87yds and 10yds) but I was really impressed with the performance of the projectile at that range, even the 10 yard shot didnt exit, shot in the chest head on and it turned all the vitals to a bloody soup then exited through the ribs and found it behind the skin near back leg, perfectly mushroomed, similar story with the other deer at 87yds, couldnt ask for better than that and it just shows all the idiots that say "270s just drill holes in things" obviously never actually had a 270 or have nothing better to do than recycle some story some guy told back in 1971 about some poor deer he probably gut shot at 15yds.
    I had Greg (Kiwi Greg) develop a load for it using the 145 Eldx and its pushing them along at 3300 but i am yet to use them on game. The caliber is easy to load for, brass is easy to find and the last few years has seen a good slection of 277 cal projectiles become available which has really made redundant the old gripes against the 27cal. There is a good selection of factory ammunition available for the wsm, although this can be reasonably pricey but all the wsm/magnum calibers are expensive if you want premium ammunition, the only reason I am shooting factory ammunition at the moment is because I was between houses at the time I got my rifle back from the build and didnt have access to my reloading gear, the two boxes of Norma Oryx (20 per box) cost me $108 each! ouch! but I used three shots to sight in/chrono the load, and have fired two more shots both resulting in a deer so the meat so far has paid back that cost anyhow, plus I will have some good brass to use once im done with both boxes. I wouldnt mind developing a 150gr partition load for mine to see how it goes.
    I run a brake on mine (terminator t3) as its a reasonably light rifle and it makes it beautiful to shoot, but in general a 270wsm without a brake is "lively" but is not outside the shooting capabilities of the average joe with some practice, I have shot a few 300wsm and even a couple of 7mm Saum all on tikka actions/stocks and found a 270wsm in the same setup much nicer/easier to shoot, running a lighter projectile whilst still being "heavy for caliber" probably helps with this, most NZ hunters would run a brake or suppressor anyhow.
    270 is a harmonic divisor number[1]
    270 is the fourth number that is divisible by its average integer divisor[2]
    270 is a practical number, by the second definition
    The sum of the coprime counts for the first 29 integers is 270
    270 is a sparsely totient number, the largest integer with 72 as its totient
    Given 6 elements, there are 270 square permutations[3]
    10! has 270 divisors
    270 is the smallest positive integer that has divisors ending by digits 1, 2, …, 9.

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    now you fellas saying there is no suitable softy projectiles.....now a 150grn partition is pretty darn good in the std .270 winchester...its just got to be better in the faster case....or maybe the 160grn might hold up better...to my mind you get best of both worlds with a partition..soft enough to open up and solid shank to power through.
    Yeah... but... I said "high BC but soft bullet options". So the Partition doesn't count!
    dannyb likes this.
    Just...say...the...word

Read this and got inspired to order a box of fusion 150's.
    Usually use 150 sst"s
    Tahr, Ryan_Songhurst and dannyb like this.

Not used 270wsm but did own 2 300wsm, i was only using 150gr BT's and 180gr accubond handloads. They worked well , all one shot bang flop kills out to 600m. After running 150gr LRAB's in standard 270win i would be more than happy using those in a 270wsm with devastating effect much like the hornady ELD's in the other cals I've tried.
    Tahr likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by tikka View Post
    Not used 270wsm but did own 2 300wsm, i was only using 150gr BT's and 180gr accubond handloads. They worked well , all one shot bang flop kills out to 600m. After running 150gr LRAB's in standard 270win i would be more than happy using those in a 270wsm with devastating effect much like the hornady ELD's in the other cals I've tried.
    @tikka I haven't been able to get the LRAB to shoot in this Xbolt 270wsm. They shot well in my last one (an A7 that I re barrelled to 300saum). What jump did you give them or are then any tricks?

Quote Originally Posted by Tahr View Post
    @tikka I haven't been able to get the LRAB to shoot in this Xbolt 270wsm. They shot well in my last one (an A7 that I re barrelled to 300saum). What jump did you give them or are then any tricks?
    Have been told that some rifles like the LRAB bullets others don't, luck of the draw I suppose.