Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree86Likes

Thread: .300 WinMag Break vs Suppressor

Just my opinion.
    Get DPT's magnum modular suppressor for the 300WM and reduce both recoil and save your hearing.
    That way you can use it for both tops and bush hunting and not have to worry about getting muffs on.

Its not cool being young/middle aged/old and deaf, so look after your hearing, both with muffs or a suppressor.
    HUNTY and DanS like this.
    Welcome to Sako club.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidGunn View Post
    Did you let your mate take a shot using your shoulder for a rest? One usually only gets to do this once. If it happened at the range, you should have been muffed and glassed up anyway.
    Yes it was at a range guy turns up sets up targets after asking if he could do so and fails to warn me that he was going to use a brake on his rifle all i had was earplugs because I was not banking on being blasted by a friggin muzzle brake, to assume I had no hearing protection is stupid, only a friggin moron turns up with no hearing protection.
    RULE 4: IDENTIFY YOUR TARGET BEYOND ALL DOUBT

To be a Human is to be an Alien, ask the animals, We invade this world and we are killing it, we are destroying the earth and nobody gives a fuck except for the animals

I have three 300 win mags, all are braked and one can be fitted with a suppressor that I have but generally leave it at home as I prefer the brakes.

The one that gets hammered the most is my Tikka s/s lite, fitted a B & C stock 18 months ago with AI bottom metal and 180gr accubonds doing 3040fps or a second handload doing around 2750.

Can shoot it all day long with no shoulder problems. When at a range Im mindful of other shooters and always try to find a spot at the end of the line, havnt had any complaints.
    Kiwi Greg and DanS like this.

Quote Originally Posted by hunter308 View Post
    Yes it was at a range guy turns up sets up targets after asking if he could do so and fails to warn me that he was going to use a brake on his rifle all i had was earplugs because I was not banking on being blasted by a friggin muzzle brake, to assume I had no hearing protection is stupid, only a friggin moron turns up with no hearing protection.
    Never been to a public range, but i sure as shit wouldn't take just plugs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    DanS likes this.

Lovin Facebook for hunters kiwijames's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BRADS View Post
    Never been to a public range, but i sure as shit wouldn't take just plugs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    The best noise reduction I have found is plugs. Howard Leight NRR32dB. The best 5+ muffs do not even reach that level. The biggest problem I see is that people often do not know how to PROPERLY use plugs.
    IIRC muffs and plugs do SFA to improve your protection? Couldn't hurt I suppose? I have little faith in the electronic/noise cancelling ones. A least in my industry where we are subject to high noise over long terms. Unsure of the effectiveness over short exposures to higher impulse sounds like a rifle shot.
    That reminds me I need to get my hearing checks up to date.
    veitnamcam likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post
    I've got a 300 mag with hardy suppressor if you get down this way your welcome to try it with and without suppressor
    Thank you thats a kind offer will be sure to hit you up if I venture south

Thanks guys has given me alot to work with , I really appreciate all the advice

Lovin Facebook for hunters kiwijames's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DanS View Post
    Thanks guys has given me alot to work with , I really appreciate all the advice
    Any reason why the 300? Nothing wrong with it but its a lot of gun and something more vanilla like an Xx08, Xx55, Xx57 will kill any game animal in NZ. The 300 Win Mag certainly will have the extra legs but do you need them?

MSL
    Plugs used properly are enough for using braked rifles, not sure why a 243requires a brake
    mikee likes this.

MSL
    Like I said, "used properly"

Quote Originally Posted by kiwijames View Post
    Any reason why the 300? Nothing wrong with it but its a lot of gun and something more vanilla like an Xx08, Xx55, Xx57 will kill any game animal in NZ. The 300 Win Mag certainly will have the extra legs but do you need them?
    This will stir up a debate but here I go,

I have currently a .243 which is my bush rifle but I have always seen animals at the 350m + distance on the tops over ridges which take hours to get round which for my setup and myself personally to shoot with I do not feel confident enough to take the shot.

So I have been saving $$ for a while now with the end goal of creating a set-up for tops/open hunting, i.e a long range setup.
    I have always been fascinated about hitting paper at 1000 so that was a reason for a new rifle and the I chose the .300 win mag caliber passed on a couple of things

Obviously magnum caliber to shoot higher fps
    I was tossing up between a 6.5mm and a .300 for a while and chose the .300
    I know the 6.5mm is an extremely accurate caliber but felt the heavier round coupled with the advantages it gives for wind drift as I will be estimating at best would better suit my needs.
    Shearer likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by MSL View Post
    Plugs used properly are enough for using braked rifles, not sure why a 243requires a brake
    Not going on the .243 going on a .300winmag as per thread title

MSL
    I was referring to someone else's post

MSL
    Obviously if you are not using the appropriate grade then you are a muppet.

I'm not sure why you'd want a muzzle break?

Name:  Split-Barrel-3.jpg
Views: 773
Size:  221.1 KB
    Spudattack, Toby and steven like this.