Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree86Likes

Thread: .300 WinMag Break vs Suppressor

last time I looked you could buy the SL7 for around 500-550 NZD from Reloaders , thats with out the borelock mech etc , just the straight can , thats if you wanted to do it a bit cheaper.
    When you look at the pressure & the amount of gasses you are dealing with , when you run a suppressor on a magnum rifle , I can see that unless you use some metal thats is strong & resists gas cutting , your can will NOT last long .
    So when running a 300WM & up I want something MORE than high grade Aluminium , either steel , SS or Ti .
    I have a SL7 and its a good solid can , rated for 300WM in 30 cal , and 338LM in 338 cal .

The Alloy can made by AI for the 338LM , only lasts for a few hundred rds before its toast from what I hear from UK users .
    BRADS likes this.

I haven't read this entire thread, so i apologise if this has already been discussed, if you are looking at a remington surrendo , i would highly recommend looking the new Sako A7 roughtec. They are a A7 action, with a longer, fully fluted factory barrel, with their own bell and carlson like stock. Have heard they shoot exceptionally well and are not too heavy either. As for brake vs suppressor, suppressor all the way
    DanS likes this.

I have my non magnum rifles supressed. Magnums have brakes. Had suppressed mag and got sick of dragging big suppressor around and it getting hot so quickly. For 0-600 a short suppressed 284 would work for you, I would consider a 300 more of a 400-1k rifle and set it up for those purposes more specifically. This is me though and everyone does things differently. Really what I'm attempting to provide you is an excuse to buy two rifle and set them up very differently rather than being stuck with the one...
    DanS likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by mcche171 View Post
    I haven't read this entire thread, so i apologise if this has already been discussed, if you are looking at a remington surrendo , i would highly recommend looking the new Sako A7 roughtec. They are a A7 action, with a longer, fully fluted factory barrel, with their own bell and carlson like stock. Have heard they shoot exceptionally well and are not too heavy either. As for brake vs suppressor, suppressor all the way
    Thanks very much, will have a look now

For ChrisF: I have not heard of many failures of the mag suppressors from dpt with a 300win mag so far.
    But as you say it is your choice to go with other materials.

For distant stalker: usually it should not take you more than one or two rounds to kill a deer,we can't really call that overheating a suppressor ,can we? :-) ( punt intended)

Quote Originally Posted by Friwi View Post
    For ChrisF: I have not heard of many failures of the mag suppressors from dpt with a 300win mag so far.

For distant stalker: usually it should not take you more than one or two rounds to kill a deer,we can't really call that overheating a suppressor ,can we? :-) ( punt intended)
    I think you'll find that Chris was talking bigger than 300wm, as was I, talked to dpt about my 300 blaser, it is to big for one of his cans unfortunately as that was my first choice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Alloy can made by AI in the UK is rated for their 338LM cal rifle , its all aluminium , BUT mounts over a steel muzzle brake that acts as the 1st 2 baffles when the can is over top of it , I have used it , and its OK , no buggles etc , but have not put much thru the can , talking to guys in the UK/soldiers , they say the can is toast in several hundred rds , ie the internal baffles shot out , not the supprssor tube blown .
    A alloy can with out steel blast baffles will wear out even quicker .
    BT in europe use steel and SS in their 338LM cans , Canadians use a large TI welded can , anything less will not last very long , I have a ATEC strippable can , its 1st 2 baffles are SS and then aluminium , and even at the 3rd baffle spacing on a 308win cal rifle , its getting gas cut in less than 300rds .

All will wear , BUT some materails much quicker than others , ME I like my stuff to last more than a couple hundred rds , I like thousands of rds before replacement .

DPT
    Quote Originally Posted by Friwi View Post

You have not heard of "many"? I havnt heard of any...
    veitnamcam, kiwijames and Toby like this.

Quote Originally Posted by DanS View Post
    I have my .243 for my bush hunting but was after a tops rifle, so was pretty keen on the .300winmag as I've read alot of good stuff on it out to longer distances but that doesnt mean when you pop your head over a ridge or into a gully there isnt an animal standing there looking at you. I was looking at Senderos but will probably pass as they would be the best part of a 20lb rifle all set up and thats way to heavy for me, so was now looking at Tikkas.
    I have a 25/06 on a Rem 700 action with a 26.5" fluted No4 barrel in a wooden stock with a Leupold 6.5-20 x 50mm LR scope weighs in at a shade under 10Lb, loaded with Berger 115 VLDs at 3100fps it is still doing 2100fps at 500 metres 1800fps is need to get reliable expansion so this would
    probably be ok at 600 yds, I have shot a lot of 300WM's they are pigs of things especially in synthetic T3"s the magazine is too short to load 180 grain bullets the barrel is too short should be 26" take a look at the standard Rem 700 BDL if you want a 300WM a better choice would be one in 7mm Mag or get a 280 AI built almost the same ballistics, only sissies use brakes if you can't handle the recoil get a calibre you can and some decent ear protection there is plenty of time to deploy them when sniping deer at over 300 metres if they can't smell you they just stand there,

DPT
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisF View Post
    The Alloy can made by AI in the UK is rated for their 338LM cal rifle , its all aluminium , BUT mounts over a steel muzzle brake that acts as the 1st 2 baffles when the can is over top of it , I have used it , and its OK , no buggles etc , but have not put much thru the can , talking to guys in the UK/soldiers , they say the can is toast in several hundred rds , ie the internal baffles shot out , not the supprssor tube blown .
    A alloy can with out steel blast baffles will wear out even quicker .
    BT in europe use steel and SS in their 338LM cans , Canadians use a large TI welded can , anything less will not last very long , I have a ATEC strippable can , its 1st 2 baffles are SS and then aluminium , and even at the 3rd baffle spacing on a 308win cal rifle , its getting gas cut in less than 300rds .

All will wear , BUT some materails much quicker than others , ME I like my stuff to last more than a couple hundred rds , I like thousands of rds before replacement .
    The DPT suppressor has replaceable baffles so if they do wear, its only. $45 to replace each one.

MSL
    I want to see a suppressor worn out in a couple hundred rounds, not doubting just never seen any photos
    Blaser likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by DPT View Post
    The DPT suppressor has replaceable baffles so if they do wear, its only. $45 to replace each one.
    Me and my mates bought DPT suppressors because of the LIFETIME WARRANTY and because they are cheap. If the baffles are blasted out in only 200-300 rounds, then i would consider that premature product failure, and would expect the baffles to be replaced under warranty for FREE for my lifetime or as long as i own the suppressor as that is what was advertised. I will not be paying $45 ever time a baffle needs to be replaced, especially if its only a done few hundred rounds.

DPT
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaimai Views View Post
    Me and my mates bought DPT suppressors because of the LIFETIME WARRANTY and because they are cheap. If the baffles are blasted out in only 200-300 rounds, then i would consider that premature product failure, and would expect the baffles to be replaced under warranty for FREE for my lifetime or as long as i own the suppressor as that is what was advertised. I will not be paying $45 ever time a baffle needs to be replaced, especially if its only a done few hundred rounds.
    Baffles worn out in 200 rounds is premature failure and will be replaced as long as the suppressor is cared for as per instructions, if someone is going to put 200 rounds out of a 300 win mag through it in 20minutes then don't be surprised if the baffles don't last so long as the suppressor was not designed for that, if a 10 inch 243 is going to be shot through the suppressor don't expect the baffles to last as long as they should. The baffles have roughly a 2000 round lifespan and are not covered by a lifetime warranty but will be covered if they fail prematurely. They do wear out and this is pointed out in the instructions.

If someone does get carried away with the suppressor and does wear out a baffle or two then its quite cheap to replace them, where other suppressors that you cant pull apart have to be fully replaced.

Short barrels (bush pigs), lots of powder (magnums) coupled with plenty of rounds in a short space of time, create heat & lots of it, alloy suppressors really don't appreciate that sort of abuse & won't last as long.

The only way around that is using a harder material in the suppressor & more volume, which usually means bigger & heavier, exactly the opposite what the general market demands...

A suppressor hates high gas pressure, velocity & volume, a brake loves them.

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi Greg View Post
    Short barrels (bush pigs), lots of powder (magnums) coupled with plenty of rounds in a short space of time, create heat & lots of it, alloy suppressors really don't appreciate that sort of abuse & won't last as long.

The only way around that is using a harder material in the suppressor & more volume, which usually means bigger & heavier, exactly the opposite what the general market demands...

A suppressor hates high gas pressure, velocity & volume, a brake loves them.
    Exactly, I used ot have the steel reflex T8 cans on my .223 and .270.
    They are designed for full automatic use on military weapons.

But I got sick of carrying them around, as they were an overkill on bolt action hunting rifles and went DPT and can't be a happier.
    Welcome to Sako club.