Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: 338 Edge repeater

338 Edge repeater

got a stock lined up for the .338 edge, problem is it only takes Accuracy international 338 lapua magazines but will these fit the 300 grain berger OTM's seated out or am I stuck with 300smks? if it doesnt, will the wyatts magazine take them? no real advantage loading from the magazine other then functionality but would like to if i could. anyone got an OAL on some edge loads or advice? (kiwigreg..?) cheer

Impure Lead Flinger
    101mm 300 gen II OTM

Hi Dave my reamer is a little long.
    I have access too a shorter one but it would be a close run thing, I guess it would still be too long.
    I have a 700p bottom metal & believe it or not they are longer by about 1mm.
    Funny that Rem has it's shit together better than AI
    Mags are made by the same people, Badger I believe.
    They will be too short thinking about it.
    I have built a 338 Norma mag using the 700P mag & it works mint, my reamer sits the 300 Berger out where it should be.
    If you go down the Edge route with that mag you might consider using the new Berger 250s they will go very well I would think & will have a better chance of fitting in the mag.

ebf
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi Greg View Post
    Hi Dave my reamer is a little long.
    Can we move this to "quote of the day" pls ?

Quote Originally Posted by ebf View Post
    Can we move this to "quote of the day" pls ?

Post of the day
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

haha im not even going there ebf....great observation though..... hey greg cheers heaps for that advice. I have a jae-700 stock lined up from america (not sure if youve seen them but theyre awesome and different) and it only take the AI mags, was wondering if indeed it would fit the gen II 300s. mite have to rethink stock choice though to get a mag fed edge or experiment with the 250s as you say. Loving the T2 brake on my 300 rum by the way greg, works magic!!!

Impure Lead Flinger
    WTF do you need to magfeed for? singlefeeding is more than sufficent for something of that degree! What are you gonna take it closerange goatslaying????
    just make it singlefeed and use the few extra $$$ you save on a better again scope
    7mmsaum likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by baldbob View Post
    WTF do you need to magfeed for? singlefeeding is more than sufficent for something of that degree! What are you gonna take it closerange goatslaying????
    just make it singlefeed and use the few extra $$$ you save on a better again scope
    Yea I know what your saying , and the correct answer is i dont need magfeed, but Id like it to if it could at all, just coz the magazines sitting there redundant otherwise, seems wasteful having a bit of kit on the rifle that you cant use even if it offers no practical advantage. haha yea gota nightforce 5.5-22 that im pretty happy so upgrading on that would be hard without getting the mrs to work the streets again

Caretaker

338 Edge repeater

Ditch the magfeed idea ARdave, every time you fire that rifle with a loaded round in the magazine its going to flatten/munt the projectiles tip/ meplat with a resulting change in BC, and potentially change seating depth.

Firing ammo with multiple BC's and over all lengths wouldnt be fun.

You have chosen the 338 edge no doubt due to its exceptional barrel life and accuracy, mag battered ammo wont help.
    Last edited by 7mmsaum; 15-11-2012 at 06:54 AM.
    A big fast bullet beats a little fast bullet every time

Also the rounds in the magazine will heat up after the first shot, increasing velocity and opening up your group at distance.

And it will be a pain I the arse to carry.

Link
    Quote Originally Posted by 7mmsaum View Post
    Ditch the magfeed idea ARdave, every time you fire that rifle with a loaded round in the magazine its going to flatten/munt the projectiles tip/ meplat with a resulting change in BC, and potentially change seating depth.

Firing ammo with multiple BC's and over all lengths wouldnt be fun.

You have chosen the 338 edge no doubt due to its exceptional barrel life and accuracy, mag battered ammo wont help.
    Just out of curiosity are you still going to have this problem if you are utilising a decent brake or suppressor? Haven't noticed this issue before, but then again I haven't exactly been looking for it...

Ejected
    My standard Savage .338LM has this issue. Just the normal brake on it though.

Ejected
    Quote Originally Posted by Tussock View Post
    I looked at this on the off chance you were building an actual repeater (auto) in 338 Edge.
    Put me down for one!

Quote Originally Posted by Nibblet View Post
    My standard Savage .338LM has this issue. Just the normal brake on it though.
    Know a guy that had the same problem with a 270wsm Tikka T3, think in the end he got a refund as not being fit for purpose.