Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree57Likes

Thread: 6.5 06

If those are your options go 280 or 280ai

Quote Originally Posted by Shearer View Post
    Ok. I thought the 270 would outnumber the 280 10:1 but there you go.
    Isn't a .280 a 7mm? Genuine question as iv never looked into them but I'd understand 7mm is more popular than .277 barrel twist seems to be niggly as well most being 1-10 and Berger have a stunning looking 175gn elite hunter but I think it requires 1-8 twist

Bos
    Yip - 280 was originally known as 7mm Rem Express.
    1:10 will handle 140s and 150s generally pretty well, but struggle with anything heavier(in my experience)

Quote Originally Posted by Kelton View Post
    Isn't a .280 a 7mm? Genuine question as iv never looked into them but I'd understand 7mm is more popular than .277 barrel twist seems to be niggly as well most being 1-10 and Berger have a stunning looking 175gn elite hunter but I think it requires 1-8 twist
    correct sort of Kelton

the 270 winchester and .280 are both based on .30/06 case the .280 has a following especially when in AI form.... the .277 is mighty poohseventy a TRUE 7MM
    the .280 is .284 and thats just CALLED a 7mm when its actually a little bit bigger than 7mm.....
    Kelton likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Kelton View Post
    Yeah. You are dead right. I was thinking cartridge rather than caliber.
    Experience. What you get just after you needed it.

Bos my bog std poohseventy with 1;10 twist LOVES 160 grn lapua megas and the speer 170grns too....absolutely loves the things...so a 1;10 will handle higher weights IF projectiles are in a game unfriendly shape and not all sleak and stretched like a pop stars limo.

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    Bos my bog std poohseventy with 1;10 twist LOVES 160 grn lapua megas and the speer 170grns too....absolutely loves the things...so a 1;10 will handle higher weights IF projectiles are in a game unfriendly shape and not all sleak and stretched like a pop stars limo.
    How have you found the 161 Lapuas? I wasn't that impressed with them on game.

used a single box of them years ago...shot one big red hind in shoulder and found bits of bone up into neck....they sat around in mates wagon for years and fired the last 7 off for new brass...when saw how tighly they had grouped I shouldve kept them to use instead.
    the 170 speers are primo performance wise...150 partitions are the ducks nuts...just a little costly.

Lots of good performers listed. You need to make a call as to whether you want something a bit different and are prepared to pay the price for that, or something more common. To be frank it does take a lot to outperform a 270 as much as the haters will kick and scream. Difference between many calibres is splitting hairs a bit. Most people will never need the difference either. But you might just want to let your heart rule your head for a project..................

Banned
    Exiting. That RPM that @nor-west mentioned sounds like a rare treat. Between a 6.5-06 and 6.5-284 id prolly go for the 6.5-284.

Both these are a step up from the Swede,260 and creedmore. ~2750 v ~2950fps.
    Sure, you can stand on the smaller cartridges to get more out of them but you can do it easy with a variety of powders in a larger Cartridge.

Banned
    280rem is what the 270win always should have been

Quote Originally Posted by johnd View Post
    Its the barrel life that bothers me, or lack of compared to other 6.5's

And as had been said 6.8 06 ( aka .270 ) or 6.5 / tomatoe, potato
    Barrel life shouldn’t be a big concern. The good old .25-06 is essentially the same case with a smaller projectile and is good for 1500+ rounds.

Quote Originally Posted by stevodog View Post
    280rem is what the 270win always should have been
    6.8mm is surely the best compromise between 6.5mm and 7mm?

Banned
    Yep, if it was supported by high bc bullets.

for ranges under 400 yards YOU DONT NEED high B C bullets and if you going to shoot past that you will be using rangefinder and twiddling and fiddlin anyway so could use .45/70 with flat nosed projectiles and still hit your target provided you had enough elevation.....as said before the commercial buffalo hunters were doing it without any of the modern gear ,what is it now???100?? years ago,so we dont really have any excuse with all the modern shit .
    look up what them fellas did,it was amazing feats of marksmanship and wholesale slaughter if they kept clean killing,wound one and herd stampeded.