Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree58Likes

Thread: 6.5 PRC itch

It’s an itch you can’t scratch…. As others have stated, no ammo, projectiles, powder, brass ??! And when it does come in it’s going to be farkn expensive. And at the end of the day it’s really just 6.5 SAUM in an expensive frock.

If any of you need brass, buy this and I'll send it onto you https://www.cdsgltd.co.uk/lapua-brass-65prc-100.html
    jakewire, veitnamcam and Kelton like this.

Quote Originally Posted by chainsaw View Post
    It’s an itch you can’t scratch…. As others have stated, no ammo, projectiles, powder, brass ??! And when it does come in it’s going to be farkn expensive. And at the end of the day it’s really just 6.5 SAUM in an expensive frock.
    And not as grunty
    GWH, Moa Hunter and Flax like this.

Yeah nah don’t do it I reckon! Cost you a bomb to source components if you can find them and after all that just go 6.5 saum instead haha.
    25 /08 IMP likes this.

GWH
    Cartridge evolution should have stopped at the 7mm SAUM.
    Tahr, Beetroot, chainsaw and 5 others like this.

Caretaker
    Quote Originally Posted by GWH View Post
    Cartridge evolution should have stopped at the 7mm SAUM.
    It did
    Tahr, GWH, Moa Hunter and 4 others like this.
    A big fast bullet beats a little fast bullet every time

6.5 swedish ammunition still seems to be freely available and not massively expensive.

Banned
    I dont have one, but comparing at all the modern chamberings for accuracy, performance and least recoil / powder use vs efficiency, the ability to build on a light but manageable platform, 7mmsaum comes out the best as a longer range cartridge IMO.
    6.5 saum is very very good on paper, but those long heavy projectiles that produce the good numbers on paper seem to pencil / slow kill on game at range and defeat the purpose of an accurate long range rifle according to blokes I know who have tried one
    stagstalker likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Moa Hunter View Post
    I dont have one, but comparing at all the modern chamberings for accuracy, performance and least recoil / powder use vs efficiency, the ability to build on a light but manageable platform, 7mmsaum comes out the best as a longer range cartridge IMO.
    6.5 saum is very very good on paper, but those long heavy projectiles that produce the good numbers on paper seem to pencil / slow kill on game at range and defeat the purpose of an accurate long range rifle according to blokes I know who have tried one
    Yip mine was destructive but lacked that smash it over effect with the 156 Berger at 3080fps
    Moa Hunter likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Kelton View Post
    And not as grunty
    Which is why my 6.5Saum is now a gong gun only, I found it a poor killer. 300wsm that replaced it as my hunting rifle is a better killer, well at least it is for me
    Had the PRC been available when I got my SAUM I would have brought that so at least I could buy a factory gun (and factory ammo at some point). In reality there is bugger all difference between the 2.

If you have a 6.5 anything then stockpile is the only way to keep shooting currently.

Quote Originally Posted by mikee View Post
    I was looking at one today at the local. I did a double take as I thought they only came in 6.5 Creedmore and 308
    6.5PRC (at least I think it was) 24 inch Bergara Extreme Hunter?? Stainless and Cerekote. Had floorplate and no threaded barrel. Looked nice
    However I already have 2 6.5 Somethings with case capacity either side of it and bugger all projectiles so....................... it stayed there
    That one nearly came home with me last weekend, it was only the ammunition supply shortage that stopped me. Nicely balanced rifle, fitted well too.
    I have 7mmRM already so it was only a want.
    mikee likes this.

Thats one of the dramas i have for my long suffering 264 win mag.
    Finding a projectile that does the jobbies up close and far away.
    mostly hampered by 1-9 twist so a lot of the new long range pills can be touch and go.
    Bullets like the partition are meant to work really well with the accubonds also good. LRABS fall into the touch and go category.
    If only going to 400ish meters they work well, if you are trying to stretch the legs then it becomes a conundrum.
    400m is a long way for me so not worrying about more than the ones I mentioned although I do have continuing thoughts about the federal edge/tlr etc etc projectiles.
    Solid copper back/jacket with lead front.

GWH
    Quote Originally Posted by Moa Hunter View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelton View Post
    Yip mine was destructive but lacked that smash it over effect with the 156 Berger at 3080fps
    Quote Originally Posted by mikee View Post
    Which is why my 6.5Saum is now a gong gun only, I found it a poor killer. 300wsm that replaced it as my hunting rifle is a better killer, well at least it is for me
    Had the PRC been available when I got my SAUM I would have brought that so at least I could buy a factory gun (and factory ammo at some point). In reality there is bugger all difference between the 2.

If you have a 6.5 anything then stockpile is the only way to keep shooting currently.

Thats interesting eh, so it seems the SD of the long heavy for cal 6.5 bullets is actually too high and they are not frangible enough. Ive been doing most of my hunting with my 7mm SAUM for a few years now, im still using the old 162gr Amax as i stock pilled about 700 of them when i heard they were being discontinued.

It's rare for me to shoot deer under 400 yards these days, most are 500 to 600 with some others around 700 and one out to 994 yards. I must say, the deer seldom go far, with more than 50% of them dropping on the spot. The 162 Amax works damn well. When im out of them i'll go to the 162 eldm. I'm pushing the 162 at 3,050 fps from a 22" barrel.

The 7mm Saum with the right bullet, is a wicked little cartridge. It's like the perfect balance of enough bullet weight at a decent velocity, minimal recoil with a suppressor or brake.

It's just a shame that you can no longer buy a rifle off the shelf chambered in it. Hell i don't know why? It seems more efficient than the Rem mag and WSM.
    Fisherman likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by GWH View Post
    Thats interesting eh, so it seems the SD of the long heavy for cal 6.5 bullets is actually too high and they are not frangible enough. Ive been doing most of my hunting with my 7mm SAUM for a few years now, im still using the old 162gr Amax as i stock pilled about 700 of them when i heard they were being discontinued.

It's rare for me to shoot deer under 400 yards these days, most are 500 to 600 with some others around 700 and one out to 994 yards. I must say, the deer seldom go far, with more than 50% of them dropping on the spot. The 162 Amax works damn well. When im out of them i'll go to the 162 eldm. I'm pushing the 162 at 3,050 fps from a 22" barrel.

The 7mm Saum with the right bullet, is a wicked little cartridge. It's like the perfect balance of enough bullet weight at a decent velocity, minimal recoil with a suppressor or brake.

It's just a shame that you can no longer buy a rifle off the shelf chambered in it. Hell i don't know why? It seems more efficient than the Rem mag and WSM.
    I did a fair bit of research into the 6.5 PRC (and 6.5 Saum) and came to the same conclusion the the 7SAUM was all round a better cartridge.
    Unless you are using factory ammo the 6.5 PRC doesn't seem to give enough extra velocity over other 6.5 cartridges to be worth it.

Obviously not being able to buy a rifle in 7SAUM is a big problem but it seems like the cartridge is making a come back, like 284win has so maybe it'll return at some stage.
    GWH likes this.

You could grab @Beavis howa 6.5creedmore barreled action and re chamber it to 6.5PRC ?