Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree38Likes

Thread: 6.5 PRC in Tikka T3X lite or Bergara B14 Extreme Hunter

Name:  IMG20230113174414.jpg
Views: 688
Size:  2.92 MB
    DBD likes this.

DBD
    It's very early, wait for the 100 mark to pass on round count and she'll be flying
    It takes 20 barrels of water to make 1 barrel of beer...

The Norma is doing 2700fps in my 20” PRC…… (Labradar)
    Rated M for Magnum likes this.
    Shut up, get out & start pushing!

Christensen Arms rifle with a mild load of AR2213sc with Hornady ELD-x 143grn at 2820 fps. More than enough for a bang flop tonight on a fallow buck at 300m. Farmer wants them shot so no leaving for the antlers to harden up here, might keep the head and preserve the velvet anyway.
    If Tikka had the 6.5PRC available when I brought this, I would of brought a Tikka and popped a carbon stock on it. Just can't go past the consistently accurate Tikkas for a practical rifle.

Name:  P1130823.JPG
Views: 588
Size:  4.98 MB

I’ve got a custom build 6.5 prc on a tikka action from a rem mag and have no issues at all with the 156 Berger’s in the mag. Heaps of room and feeds without issue.
    DBD and 25/08 IMP like this.

DBD
    Quote Originally Posted by Kramed69 View Post
    I’ve got a custom build 6.5 prc on a tikka action from a rem mag and have no issues at all with the 156 Berger’s in the mag. Heaps of room and feeds without issue.
    Can you share the rifle specs with us?

I have had the bergara 6.5PRC extreme hunter for 2 years. Very accurate. .75" 5 shot groups with factory norma ammo which is readily available. It is definitely heavier but it felt much better balanced in my hand. The extra weight makes it a dream to shoot. Crisp trigger. Cerakoting is good. Nice stock.
    The only downside is that it can some times struggle to pick up the first round out of the mag.

Cant really go wrong with either option tbh. You will end up with a nice rifle either way.

Quote Originally Posted by Kramed69 View Post
    Yip will fit easy in the rem mag mag. What have they done for a mag in the prc?

Quote Originally Posted by Kelton View Post
    Yip will fit easy in the rem mag mag. What have they done for a mag in the prc?
    It's like a WSM mag I think but it looks they made a specific mag for it, even says 6.5 PRC on the side.

Name:  IMG20230114235536.jpg
Views: 633
Size:  2.17 MB

That's a 147 ELD-M seated out to 3 inches.

Name:  IMG20230114235657.jpg
Views: 642
Size:  2.95 MB

And here's a 7mm rem mag case in it.

Name:  IMG20230114235621.jpg
Views: 632
Size:  2.66 MB

I see three inches would be more than long enough wouldnt it?

Quote Originally Posted by Kelton View Post
    I see three inches would be more than long enough wouldnt it?
    That's what she said should be plenty, I haven't measured the jump or anything.
    DBD likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Rated M for Magnum View Post
    It's like a WSM mag I think but it looks they made a specific mag for it, even says 6.5 PRC on the side.

Attachment 214559

That's a 147 ELD-M seated out to 3 inches.

Attachment 214560

And here's a 7mm rem mag case in it.

Attachment 214561
    Yeah they have done. A medium action length for the short mags. If you ended up needing more space you can just get a long action mag and a long action bolt stop.

Quote Originally Posted by Rated M for Magnum View Post
    Update time, had the rifle threaded and shortened to 20 inches, suppressor fitted, looks great, points well, balances nicely, very happy with all that.

Needed zeroing again with all the changes so I got out for a bit of 100 yards target, chronicgraph action and validation today.

Now I have been told that the Norma Bondstrike ammo was slow, now brace yourself, through a 20 inch barrel they are going an average of 2520fps. Yes that's right, 2520 said the chroni, I thought surely they're not that slow

They are that slow. All good though, factory ammo and all that. What I can say is they are accurate and consistent which is good. Running the numbers through strelok I've still got 1000 foot pounds at 600 yards at 1777fps. They handled the wind very well, it was gisty and swirling to probably 15mph and I hit the clump of dirt I was aiming at at 620 yards twice so really can't complain there.
    I chronod some Norma and hornady 143 out of my new 22 inch suppressed custom today. The Norma were doing 2700 on the button. Shot well enough printing between 3/4 of an inch and an inch. Very consistent though ex over 5 rounds was 7fps. Pretty impressive.

The hornady chronod much faster at around 2830. Tighter groups in my gun printing 1/2 to 3/4 moa but a larger es of around 30.

If it prints close enough to either berger 140 vld hunters or hornady 147 eld m in hand load development ill probably use it for an up close load.

DBD
    I see the 143 Norma projectiles are available but at a very stonch price, heard good terminal reviews on them @2950
    Carbine likes this.

Its weird that the Norma ammo is so pedestrian - Ive been shooting Norma 130 gn 6.5x284 target ammo and it honks, over 3100fps from a 24". You'd think that they'd be similar given they are ballistically ide tical . . .