Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree143Likes

Thread: 6mm Creedmoor vs 243

Do a custom build 243 with a 8 twist or faster barrel from a local manufacturer.
    I run 108 gr ELD-M's in mine with great effect.
    You can run more velocity with a 243 having a slightly larger case volume or back it off a little to match the 6mm CM.
    257weatherby likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Rated M for Magnum View Post
    I have been and still couldn't decide, finding a rifle to start with would be the challenge for the 6 man bun, then brass and dies.
    @Rated M for Magnum , i have 200(maybe 201) once fired starline 6mm creedmoor brass here you czn have for cheap if you go that route. Plus its small rifle primer so it doesnt eat away at the large rifle stocks
    Rated M for Magnum likes this.

The 6mm creedmoor makes a lot of sense ballistically but the lack of factory rifles and ammo is enough to put me off. This could also make the rifle difficult to sell if you decide to flick it off at some stage

I have a 243 with a 1/10 twist and it is a very effective little meat harvester. I generally don’t shoot beyond 300yd so a 6mmCM offers no real advantage for me, it wouldn’t put any additional meat in the freezer. There’s plenty of good bullets that work in a 1/10 (90eldx, 95 fusion, 95 nosler BT, 95sst etc.) and will serve you well
    Carbine, 257weatherby and ZQLewis like this.

Quote Originally Posted by 7.62 View Post
    The 6mm creedmoor makes a lot of sense ballistically but the lack of factory rifles and ammo is enough to put me off. This could also make the rifle difficult to sell if you decide to flick it off at some stage

I have a 243 with a 1/10 twist and it is a very effective little meat harvester. I generally don’t shoot beyond 300yd so a 6mmCM offers no real advantage for me, it wouldn’t put any additional meat in the freezer. There’s plenty of good bullets that work in a 1/10 (90eldx, 95 fusion, 95 nosler BT, 95sst etc.) and will serve you well
    Yeah that's good to hear, it's pretty much where my thinking is at now.

Quote Originally Posted by keengunNic View Post
    @Rated M for Magnum , i have 200(maybe 201) once fired starline 6mm creedmoor brass here you czn have for cheap if you go that route. Plus its small rifle primer so it doesnt eat away at the large rifle stocks
    Thanks I'll keep that in mind, if I could get hold of a Tikka pre fit barrel and a set of dies I'd be laughing. Hopefully have something sorted in the next few days either way.

Have a look at the Seekins pro hunter 2 in 6cm. Essentially a custom rem700 footprint rifle that retains its value if you ever decide to sell it.

If your keeping everything factory then i would go 6.5cm. the factory ammo when available is great, Kills well and is gay as fuck but dose the job and dose it well. i run the factory hornady ammo in mine been very impressed so far.
    Huntn likes this.
    Konus binoculars " The power to imagine"

If you have a space limited magizine and you want to run long sleek projectiles you will be better with the 6 creed
    all things outside of that are two parallel lines its the same case with the shoulder bumped back and the angle changed
    one sells in shops, the other you need to make every shot yourself

Right I've made the call, 243 it is.

I'm sure Targex was making a 105gn 6mm projectile suited to 1:10 twists if that helps with the heavier projectile issue
    Rated M for Magnum likes this.
    The Biggest Room is the Room for Improvement

Quote Originally Posted by Barefoot View Post
    I'm sure Targex was making a 105gn 6mm projectile suited to 1:10 twists if that helps with the heavier projectile issue
    You're right that he used to make the short 105, but since introducing the 95g VLD style with the same BC he ditched the 'short' 105g as it didn't provide anything the 95 couldn't do, and with more velocity. The 95 seems to stabilise well in most if not all factory 243 barrels.
    Barefoot, Bill999 and ZQLewis like this.

Quote Originally Posted by 55six View Post
    Have a look at the Seekins pro hunter 2 in 6cm. Essentially a custom rem700 footprint rifle that retains its value if you ever decide to sell it.
    Thanks @55six that would be an amazing rifle but with my Scottish heritage shining through I'm looking to spend as little as possible
    Bill999 likes this.

I'll start getting some components together once I've got dies sorted, that may not be for a week or two though. Once I pay for the barrel and then later it arrives, I'll get some photos of the process and put it in the home projects section.

so here is a question out of left field for you (or should that be right field if I am as been told a right wing red neck??) you asked about heavier projectiles...was this for bigger whallop on animals at bush ranges out to say 150 yards??? or were you hopeing for slightly heavier to try to stretch the range out a bit more????

because if its the first....there are actually some very very effective 100grn offerings out there in round nose form.... Tony Orman was a EBRG fan and his theory was smash the shoulders to anchor animal and allow that little pill to dump all its energy inside animal.....nearly 40 years of shooting stuff I cannot in anyway fault his logic.
    I dont use an EBRG but do use the mighty .270winchester......using 130grn loadings the ONLY time animals have moved after being shot is when Ive failed to take out the front wheels...... we live and learn,and hopefully dont repeat same mistake twice...other learned folks will slip explosive projectile in tight to shoulder into "the crease" area pulping lungs and damaging less meat....great when angle of animal is slightly away from you and you have patience to make it happen right or let animal walk....same as using .223 pick your shots if using fragile projectile....or neck shoot.
    257weatherby likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Rated M for Magnum View Post
    I'll start getting some components together once I've got dies sorted, that may not be for a week or two though. Once I pay for the barrel and then later it arrives, I'll get some photos of the process and put it in the home projects section.
    I’ll throw some Winchester cases and some of the 95gr targex for you to try mate
    Get you going at least

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk