Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Advice for a new scope for my safe Queen...

steven, matai and Carpe Diem like this.

Quote Originally Posted by 199p View Post
    I have the MOA and find it useful especially for correcting windage
    The one I have shot is 1/4MOA clicks, however if I read right 1/10th mil = 1/3inch MOA at 100yds so I dont see how its a biggee? its just a different factor?

One thing I do recall however is the std lens caps were utter crap, and fell off and then apart.
    "I do not wish to be a pawn or canon fodder on the whims of MY Government"

the sightron flip caps are shit, despite the salesman going on how great they were.

and no , mils or moa click make no difference for correcting windage as long as you know how to do it properly

Hi Scoped,

Interested also in your rings and bases are they Optilocks and if so Hi ones or those burris Zee ones with the rubber inserts that give you a bit of wiggle room to play with? Interested as I'd thought I'd need to go down the road of a 20moa rail or similar on my Tikka ??

Cheers for the pic's Vnice!!!

ahhhh..... not sure what height in terms of medium/high but the distance between the action and the bottom of the scope is 10mm.

they are 30mm sako optilocks though, I was thinking of a rail but if you have a tikka I would get talleys. with a rail you have more opportunity for things to move, but in some cases your only option. luckily the scope fitted with those optilocks as you can see the front bell is fairly close to the barrel with the scope caps on!
    Carpe Diem likes this.

Went and had a play with the Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50 yesterday at Reloaders. And I have to say impressed! Glass looks about the same as the Sightron (which makes sense both being sourced from Japan).

Interestingly was really taken with the Illum provided on the Reticule and that they have a first and second focal plane option in both EBR 1 and EBR 2c in MilR and MOA options.
    Nice!!!

The eye relief seemed a bit more in the Vortex than the Sightron and my eye seemed to adjust to it a bit quicker (But, maybe thats 'cause I already have a similar Crossfire on my 22lr) and I understand the AO minimum is a bit further out by 10yards (at 50) in the Vortex.

The other thing is a ability to shim to create effectively a Zero stop for the scope (and shim is included). Drawback they still persist with those naff plastic covers in the box (not a biggie) and comes in or under the magic $1300 of the Sightron. Why the hell don't they just change it to a branded neoprene cover - so much easier!!!

Anyway interested as I know there are a few of you out there with this scope for your feedback - thoughts?? It's become such a toss up...

Cheers

Carpe Diem.
    I have a tikka 7mm RM and should have my s3 6-24 in a few days (a mate brought it back from the states for me)

Plan A is to put some 30mm optilocks on, so will let you know how I get on. If not it looks like I'll be getting some talleys
    Carpe Diem likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by matai View Post
    Carpe Diem.
    I have a tikka 7mm RM and should have my s3 6-24 in a few days (a mate brought it back from the states for me)

Plan A is to put some 30mm optilocks on, so will let you know how I get on. If not it looks like I'll be getting some talleys
    Thanks Matai - Would appreciate that and also any teething or learnings you have getting used to it. Did you go MilR like Steven's looking at or MOA?

Thanks for the heads up!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Carpe Diem View Post
    Thanks Matai - Would appreciate that and also any teething or learnings you have getting used to it. Did you go MilR like Steven's looking at or MOA?

Thanks for the heads up!!!
    I went with the MOA reticle with MOA clicks. Thought long and hard about getting a MilDot with MRAD clicks, but stuck to what I am more familiar with

Quote Originally Posted by matai View Post
    Thought long and hard about getting a MilDot with MRAD clicks, but stuck to what I am more familiar with
    MILs is pretty easy to get used to. I run both MILs and MOA on two different rifles (not ideal) but it doesn't present too much difficulty to swap between them. Next scope will continue to be MILs from now on I think though.

BTW, Are there any issues with importing scopes from the USA?
    "I do not wish to be a pawn or canon fodder on the whims of MY Government"

Quote Originally Posted by steven View Post
    I believe the biggest issue is high magnification scopes fail the export criteria - I remember seeing it somewhere (I think the conditions of sale for US auction sites and was it Optics planet?)

we should be fine with 24x I think it was the really big stuff.

P.

Quote Originally Posted by steven View Post
    No. Done it plenty.
    Dan M

Advice for a new scope for my safe Queen...

Unless your matching the power with the quality(money) I don't think it's a wise buy.
    At 16 power the vortex is ok but not as great as it could be. But then again it's not a nightforce or a Swaro or a Leica.
    But for shooting paper it is plenty and for shooting deer it is too much which is toooo much for me. 2c.
    Dan M

Was interesting talking to a couple of the competitors last weekend. A couple of them mentioned they never got their scope above about 12x for the medium range shoot (targets from 100m to 600m). Personally I shoot a 6-24x56mm scope and I have mine on about 10x unless in a solid supported prone shot then It gets cranked up to about 18x. Only really use the 24x at the longer ranges where I have a good solid shooting position (i.e. target never leaves the scope under recoil) and I won't have to transition to another target quickly.