Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: Anyone ever traded in a rifle before?

If a shop buys a rifle for $1000 from a wholesaler and sells it for $1300 retail, the moment it goes out the door it is second-hand and has a trade-in value slightly less than the cost of a new replacement from the wholesaler. It is only after a few years of inflation that your trade-in value will exceed the price you paid, and that only applies if you have looked after it. Standard business practice. No shop is going to do a trade-in for more than the cost of buying a new item at the wholesale price.

Quote Originally Posted by Frodo View Post
    I could have single fed it...there are many things I could have done (better) on that miserable day. Lol
    Ah well you live and learn. Certainly not going to do that mistake twice.

Quote Originally Posted by gundoc View Post
    If a shop buys a rifle for $1000 from a wholesaler and sells it for $1300 retail, the moment it goes out the door it is second-hand and has a trade-in value slightly less than the cost of a new replacement from the wholesaler. It is only after a few years of inflation that your trade-in value will exceed the price you paid, and that only applies if you have looked after it. Standard business practice. No shop is going to do a trade-in for more than the cost of buying a new item at the wholesale price.
    Thanks for clearing that up

northdude
    Ive also taken stuff in to see if it could be traded and the shop didnt want it as it wasnt anything he would be be able to sell for profit and i have a good relationship with him and i dont think he wants to give me nothing tor it which is fair enough ro me
    Russian 22. likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by gundoc View Post
    Quite right .The dealer isn't going to pay more than 80% of the new wholesale price , then he will take the offer down again for wear and tear . Then he will claim back gst , add on his margin and gst . Also the dealer would take the firearm being traded into consideration , is it new ?, has it been in stock for ages ?, is it rare / collectable and an easy sale , etc . Second hand firearms that are still in production will have a higher margin on them than new ones , so do collectable ones , and therefor can be haggled down . Make sure the firearm you want to trade is as clean as you can make it before you attempt the trade .
    Get as close as you can then six feet closer