Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree38Likes

Thread: ar15 or howa etc package?

Quote Originally Posted by Spudattack View Post
    Much of a muchness really, both very good first rifles, the tikka will be lighter, both are as accurate as each other, both have average at best factory stocks although I prefer the hogue on the howa to the Tikkas.

The bonus with the Howa is that if you speak to your local gunshop they can get just a bare barrelled action from Cameron sports, you can then fit and bed it in whichever stock you prefer, Boyds, McMillan, b&c, whatever and have a great little rifle.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    The tikka factory plastic stock is much stiffer than the howa houge, so if you are working of a bipod the tikka will be the better shooter, the howa feels nicer in hand though. I think I prefer drop plate over a dbm, especially the tikka DBM as you cant top load it, so have to take out the mag and refil every time you want to empty the chamber

Quote Originally Posted by anderset20 View Post
    Plus I personally find it much nicer to shoot with and great for follow up shots since there is so little recoil.
    The lack of recoil goes for any 223, not just an AR.

Quote Originally Posted by GravelBen View Post
    The lack of recoil goes for any 223, not just an AR.
    Yeah true, should have worded it better. I find the AR sits more stable between shots which I find easier if shooting at a group of wallabys etc but again personal preference

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can you run a standard .22 through the ar? Approximate cost? I only plan on using a 223 and 22 so if i could get both through an ar at a similar cost of a howa and 10/22 i would lean that way

Quote Originally Posted by matto1234 View Post
    Can you run a standard .22 through the ar? Approximate cost? I only plan on using a 223 and 22 so if i could get both through an ar at a similar cost of a howa and 10/22 i would lean that way
    Can with $400 conversion kit, but I don't have one yet to tell you how well they work

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by matto1234 View Post
    Get yourself a .22 Dedicated upper like mine ,you can swap upper from .22lr , .223 & 300BLK all using the same Lower if you wish.
    My N.E.A Dedicated Upper shots like a dream all day
    Name:  .22 AR NEA.jpg
Views: 1291
Size:  599.6 KB
    Gerbs and grunzter like this.

Quote Originally Posted by seano View Post
    Get yourself a .22 Dedicated upper like mine ,you can swap upper from .22lr , .223 & 300BLK all using the same Lower if you wish.
    My N.E.A Dedicated Upper shots like a dream all day
    Attachment 37441
    What would a setup like that cost? I think that is what he is wondering?

"Here's the deal I'm the best there is. Plain and simple. I wake up in the morning and I piss excellence."

I'd just get a conversion kit. They're really handy. You can have the kit a mag and box of bullets in your pocket and chuck it in if you want to have a go at some rabbits and possums. Accuracy tends to range from acceptable to shit but still good enough for 25yd shooting. I've witnessed a friend of mine make consistent hits on 6" steel plates at 150m with a conversion kit, so they can work well.

cost to do so? i have just been to my local and i can get a howa 223 with a 3-9-40 for $1000 and a scoped 22 for $400. they have tikka t3 lite for 1500 scoped and i don't think an ar15 would shoot any where near as well?

Quote Originally Posted by GravelBen View Post
    The advantage of an AR15 (or other semi-auto) is being able to fire several shots quickly. I can't think of any other advantages, and most people don't need rapid fire for hunting anyway.
    This sums it up really. Extra uppers are worth just as much as an entire rifle.

If you're not needing quick follow up shot then I'd personally go with the Howa and spend the left over on a Marlin 795 .22. The Howa will do everything the Tikka does for 30%, less. Ruger 10/22 are over rated/priced in my opinion, but that's a whole other argument.

AR's are as accurate as any hunting rifle needs to be, problem is that they're harder to shoot accurately in their standard form.

Quote Originally Posted by Savage1 View Post
    If you're not needing quick follow up shot then I'd personally go with the Howa and spend the left over on a Marlin 795 .22. The Howa will do everything the Tikka does for 30%, less. Ruger 10/22 are over rated/priced in my opinion, but that's a whole other argument.
    +1 on flagging the 10/22 for something accurate.

Howa and Tikka are by no means the only good centrefire options either - Savage, Remington, Marlin, Ruger, the list goes on... they all make accurate reliable rifles, handle as many options as you can at gun shops and choose the one that fits you best and you like the feel of.
    Savage1, gadgetman and Spudattack like this.

And don't forget second hand, you can pick up some great deals on used premium rifles for much the same money as an entry level new one.

My Brno ZKK600 only cost me $700 and she is mint.

No issue if you go new but your money can often go further buying used.

steven likes this.
    "Here's the deal I'm the best there is. Plain and simple. I wake up in the morning and I piss excellence."

Well I bought an Ar15 just over 6months ago and I have not had so much fun in a long while. Thing is its expensive....in ammo. I go up to the range with 400rounds have a great time wacking steel plates and come back with maybe 40, being $200 odd the poorer but wearing a huge grin.

$1900 should get you a pretty decent AR, but if you want to wack goats dont go to short a barrel.

Name:  ar15-stag-mdel-4-001-29-5-15.jpg
Views: 387
Size:  979.1 KB
    "I do not wish to be a pawn or canon fodder on the whims of MY Government"

Quote Originally Posted by grunzter View Post
    The problem with the AR is you will want another one once you have your first!
    Not sure why this is, but it happens to most of us...

Long one, short one, mid length one, suppressed one, FDE one, black one, A-cat one, E-cat one, pink one (not for me mind you), other one...
    amen to that
    steven likes this.

You probably won't get a decent AR for anywhere close to what you will pay for a Howa. However when you get the Howa, you will want to to replace the shit stock and shit scope that comes with the Howa, so budget perhaps another $500 at least.