Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree38Likes

Thread: ar15 or howa etc package?

Be better off with a scoped tikka package in that case?

ar15 or howa etc package?

Depends on the scope, stock is not much better.

Look, the stock and scope they come with are perfectly functional but not the best, I stayed with the Nikko and hogue for 2 years before I changed them, they were fine and I won a few deer stalkers club days with them on, so they aren't that bad.

It's just that if you get serious you probably will want to change them.

Even shooting off a bipod with the hogue is ok as long as you load it forward so it is being pulled away from the barrel and not pushed down.

Go and handle as many rifle brands as you can and decide for yourself which one you like, rule of thumb, basically anything over $800 will serve you very well, just decide which one you like!

If you making the jump to the tikka you may as well look at a CZ527, Winnie mod70 and Browning x-bolt too.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Spudattack; 12-06-2015 at 11:39 PM.
    "Here's the deal I'm the best there is. Plain and simple. I wake up in the morning and I piss excellence."

https://trademe.co.nz/899390678
    CZ 527 American (222 Rem)

"Here's the deal I'm the best there is. Plain and simple. I wake up in the morning and I piss excellence."

The tikka Comes with a burris fullfield 11 ballistic plex 3-9-40 if that makes any difference. Im getting the feeling it is just about getting what i want , a tikka or upgraded howa will end up being the same price as a second hand ar15

Don't forget to allow for a scope on the AR as well when you think about costs

Like others have said, you don't have to upgrade an $800 rifle for hunting. Just get out there and use it, if you're not already an experienced shooter (which I'm guessing you aren't, or you wouldn't be asking this question) then the main limiting factor for a long time will be you rather than the rifle anyway.
    Last edited by GravelBen; 13-06-2015 at 12:24 AM.

1400ish second hand plus a scope is not too much more in price when comparing to a tikka etc. i think i will just go to my local gunshop and find something to my liking and give it a whirl

I think you will battle to find a decent ar for $1400ish.

Be careful, take someone who knows what they are doing to look at a second hand ar, you don't want to spend that money and find that it has been "modified" by some cowboy and is rooted.

Also remember a cheap Chinese made ar is probably going to disappoint you accuracy and fit and finish wise.

But you have got it, buy what you like!

Beaker likes this.

I saw a NEA ar with 2-300 rounds through it sold on hear recently for 1400. Is that not reasonable?

Yep, sounds like a bargain! If you can find one like that and it is what you want then go for it!

Do you want to eradicate goats or shoot a couple every second weekend for meat and sport? Id go a bolt .223 with a suppressor.

Howa 1500 .308 $800 ish without scope. +$450 for vx1 and rings and youll be happy as larry. Ive got a 1500 , feels great and shoots better than me.
    308 likes this.
    If god didn't want us to eat animals he wouldn't have made them out of food.

Brought a near new tikka t3 223 with burris 3-9x40 for 900 so will see how that goes , thanks for the input guys
    308, Beaker and Nick-D like this.

Quote Originally Posted by matto1234 View Post
    1400ish second hand plus a scope is not too much more in price when comparing to a tikka etc. i think i will just go to my local gunshop and find something to my liking and give it a whirl
    $1325 will get you a Howa, threaded, suppressed and scoped from Gunworks. You could easily ask to upgrade the scope. They would certainly be worth talking to. I use the Nikko Night eater and have no issues. I know he carries Leupold too.

Gunworks Ltd - Suppressed Howa 1500 rifle 223, 243, 6.5x55, 7mm-08, 270, 308

Unsuppressed is $1025 and still a good deal.

...Don't worry, you will still get an AR, we all do eventually.

No we don't. (well not unless the type of shooting I do changes a lot )
    Savage1 likes this.