Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree35Likes

Thread: believe it or not?

Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    Rimfire?

i think you can get SOME speed back with faster powder optimum powder.

Sent from my GT-S5360T using Tapatalk 2
    . The problem with verifying this is identifying max pressure with either powder. While someone may appear to get some velocity back its most likely they are just running at a higher pressure. Or didnt have the best powder to begin with
    Last edited by sneeze; 05-05-2014 at 06:43 PM.
    "You'll never find a rainbow if you're looking down" Charlie Chaplin

In my experience I have been able to gain some velocity back by changing to a faster powder after shortening the barrel but I have never gained it all back. Close in a couple of instances although, whether thats increased pressure or a real gain for same pressure I couldnt say.

However, the longest barrel will pretty much always win the velocity battle. Unless of course you go stupid long and friction comes into play.

res
    I personally have never measured pressure,only projectile speed. And have kept things safe.

To me it's just about wether it works as needed,or not
    Using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Proudkiwi View Post
    In my experience I have been able to gain some velocity back by changing to a faster powder after shortening the barrel but I have never gained it all back. Close in a couple of instances although, whether thats increased pressure or a real gain for same pressure I couldnt say.

However, the longest barrel will pretty much always win the velocity battle. Unless of course you go stupid long and friction comes into play.
    No debate about velocity and barrel length. The longer the barrel the longer the bullet is exposed to the pressure so the longer it will keep accelerating.
    the discussion is really about optimum burn rate and barrel length.

Quote Originally Posted by sneeze View Post
    . The problem with verifying this is identifying max pressure with either powder. While someone may appear to get some velocity back its most likely they are just running at a higher pressure. Or didnt have the best powder to begin with
    No debate about velocity and barrel length. The longer the barrel the longer the bullet is exposed to the pressure so the longer it will keep accelerating.
    the discussion is really about optimum burn rate and barrel length.
    Both good points.

If you think of a pistol length barrel at one extreme and a 30 inch in something a bit over bore like 243AI with 105s requiring a slower powder like N165 or whatever.

With the slow powder in lets say a 4" barrel with the same load as the optimum 30'', that optimum powder for the long barell may not even reach peak pressure until the projectile is 6" down the bore.(a figure plucked out of my arse)

So in this made up situation, faster powder would almost certainly yield more velocity for the same peak pressure in the 4'' barrel but still be a long way short of 30'' velocity.

The best speed will always be from whatever powder has the highest average pressure for the projectiles full travel of the bore while staying under max pressure.

What is max? Well that is entirely up to the individual re loader but with the same components other than powder a reasonable comparison should be able to be made( 1 pound vs 6pound hammer to open bolt)

So If you are already getting the best velocity possible from "X" length and whack 6 inches of the barrel faster powder will not get back your velocity,but it may minimize your losses.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Both good points.

If you think of a pistol length barrel at one extreme and a 30 inch in something a bit over bore like 243AI with 105s requiring a slower powder like N165 or whatever.

With the slow powder in lets say a 4" barrel with the same load as the optimum 30'', that optimum powder for the long barell may not even reach peak pressure until the projectile is 6" down the bore.(a figure plucked out of my arse)

So in this made up situation, faster powder would almost certainly yield more velocity for the same peak pressure in the 4'' barrel but still be a long way short of 30'' velocity.

The best speed will always be from whatever powder has the highest average pressure for the projectiles full travel of the bore while staying under max pressure.

What is max? Well that is entirely up to the individual re loader but with the same components other than powder a reasonable comparison should be able to be made( 1 pound vs 6pound hammer to open bolt)

So If you are already getting the best velocity possible from "X" length and whack 6 inches of the barrel faster powder will not get back your velocity,but it may minimize your losses.
    Thats pretty close. If its graphed then its area under curve that will increase velocity. Area under cure is usually best with the slowest powder that can give max pressure for the longest time ( flattest curve peak) but when the bullet is 4(ave) inches down the barrel the pressure is already dropping and acceleration is slowing. Using your pistol/ rifle example if you check reloading data given same chamber and bullet its powders from a similar burn rate recommended for both.
    veitnamcam likes this.

Graphs please
    Gibo likes this.

Graphs please
    Dammit, .....searches for the dont like button..

Ill see if I can pull one off QL

Everyone likes graphs.
    mikee likes this.

Everyone likes graphs.
    Not pro 1080 people opps thats Grafs
    veitnamcam, Toby and Micky Duck like this.

Hopefully below is a chamber pressure graph for a 7mmsaum . All things being equal if a faster powder was used the curve would be more of a spike and the area under curve would decrease

Name:  Pressure Graph7mmSAUM.png
Views: 437
Size:  16.5 KB
    veitnamcam likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Spook View Post
    Firearm manufactures all over the world spend mega dollars on engineers and their reports before they build a rifle and yet there are DIY's who attack these rifles with hacksaws at every opportunity because they know best.
    Hi all , there is a good article which appeared some time a go about a guy that built a huge warehouse and did a lot of rifle and ammo testing in it he found that the best accuracy in all of the guns that he tested came from 21 and 3/4 inch lond tubes and as these were all custom guns it would seem that the manufactures dont know it all . 22 rimfire guns suffer from friction slowing the bullet down in long barrels the 30 odd inch target guns just use the extra length for more precise aiming .with a scope they could get the same results from 16 inch barrels the length needed to properly burn the current standard rimfire load

sneakywaza I got
    So, the point of the thread is......?I am easily confused

I have a 700 Rem tac (or it started out that way once upon a time), 20" barrel, just for shots and giggles, at the range friday arvo gone, loaded up some 165 SST's, got them doing 2980 average at the point I was blowing the primers clean out.Was shooting half inch doing it too!(certain precautions had been taken by the way)

Clearly not recommended, but, that is faster than factory? yes?. Got there using a really fast powder, so, fast powder and stiff load, and the bullet goes faster. There is a point at which a barrel is too short, but you can get velocity back if you are prepared to raise pressure, safe or not.
    Micky Duck likes this.

Yikes!

yep each to their own........was that a 1 pound or 6 pound hammer to open the bolt?
    sneeze and Micky Duck like this.

Hopefully below is a chamber pressure graph for a 7mmsaum . All things being equal if a faster powder was used the curve would be more of a spike and the area under curve would decrease

Attachment 23922
    Would be interesting to compare quick load to strain gauge graphs.
    Especially in a few different rifles.