Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree8Likes
  • 2 Post By MB
  • 1 Post By Micky Duck
  • 1 Post By Bagheera
  • 1 Post By viper
  • 1 Post By viper
  • 2 Post By Brakelie

Thread: Bergera take down 223 opinions

Bergera take down 223 opinions

Has anyone had any experience with the 223 single shot? I know a lot of people rate the 308 version apart from the weight.

I am considering selling my howa mini in 223 to get one of the single shots as it would better suit my circumstances so would appreciate any opinions or even if anyone wants to swap?

MB
    I have the same rifle in 300BLK. I think it's great apart from the weight. I did Loctite the factory rail down when I first got it as heard some stories about loose rails. Nothing else not to like. I would also recommend the calibre for bush/close range shooting. Recoil is almost imperceptible and it's relatively quiet. Makes a bigger hole than .223! Downside is that decent ammunition can be hard to track down, .223 would win in this respect.

Brakelie and Micky Duck like this.

plenty of them in .44magnum being abused by pighunters around the country..and they dont seem to be breaking..... mate did have oh shit moment the other day by placing round into chamber and somehow pushed extracter down at same time so had round in and extracter still out..no biggie, flicked round out with knife...would be a right bitch if did it out in boonies..no you cant get enough breath blow down barrel to remove it..I tried. piece of piss to pop round back out if have cleaning rod on hand.
    Brakelie likes this.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

..no you cant get enough breath blow down barrel to remove it..I tried. .

Micky Duck likes this.

I have the 308 version, great rifle, safe and very accurate.
    I don't find it heavy at all.
    Highly recommended.
    Micky Duck likes this.

great gun if you dont mind the weight, personally a single shot 223 doesn't make sense to me but the gun itself is great

Know a couple of people with them in 308 and I have the Rossi version in 308 nothing wrong with single shots.
    Happy Jack.

Quote Originally Posted by Howa1500 View Post
    great gun if you dont mind the weight, personally a single shot 223 doesn't make sense to me but the gun itself is great
    fired 6 rounds out of my single shot.222 yesterday and killed 5 wallabies....
    75/15/10 black powder matters

Quote Originally Posted by Howa1500 View Post
    3kg isn't heavy bud, why a single shot makes sense, cause if you can shoot then one shot is all you need and nothing makes you focus when you have a shot. 9mm at 100mtrs. Name:  20220731_112929.jpg
Views: 136
Size:  1.35 MB
    Micky Duck likes this.

Thanks for the feedback, for context I have a bolt action 308 as my main deer hunting rifle and a howa mini in 223 for anything else and the occasional deer. At the moment I'm liking the idea of having a handy 223 I can carry broken down in a day pack on motorbikes etc as my howa isn't getting a lot of use now. I am torn between 308 and 223 for a single shot, 223 is pretty versatile, I cant envisage shooting beyond 100m with it, 308 is certainly more emphatic on big things but a bit of overkill for rabbits and magpies
    viper and Micky Duck like this.