Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Like Tree107Likes

Thread: Best $1000 budget rifle ??

Canterbury, home of the big Rakaia Red Stag
    Quote Originally Posted by gadgetman View Post
    That will be when they bring it out in the non mini action I'd say.
    Apparently the Aussies love the kidney crusher mags on them Their market is larger for the Yanks than ours, so I too see little hope of a flush mag. Pretty sure @stug has had ago at a different mag box for these...?

GWH
    Id would recommend going 2nd hand, ive purchased several like new rifles 2nd hand for super good deals, rifles were basically brand new.

You will get something decent for your money then, rather than a 'cheap' brand new rifle.
    Ryan_Songhurst likes this.

That 2nd link i put up is a goody. 7mm08 already suppressed 2ith a DPT and a $500~ scope

Thompson centre, Howa, ruger American , handle all three and see which you like best, that's the most important thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Mathias View Post
    Apparently the Aussies love the kidney crusher mags on them Their market is larger for the Yanks than ours, so I too see little hope of a flush mag. Pretty sure @stug has had ago at a different mag box for these...?
    I tried but it didn't work. The action is set up for a centre feed. Going to a staggered box and feeding from the sides was causing issues. Also with the action being so small trying to load the mag from the top was too tight once a scope was put on.
    Mathias likes this.

Yes the old 270 may not be the flavor of the month these days but it will certainly hold it's own against many of the 6.5's and a lot of other standard calibers. If you want real long range performance you may need to go bigger.
    Have a look at my post "More 270 Loads" I put up the other day.
    That load with the 145 gr ELD-X and Superformance powder has opened my eyes up on the old war horse. That load is travelling at 3114 fps Av and has a muzzle energy of 3122 ft ld .
    I had a 270 WSM which I left in Canada for my son to use and that used to push the 130 Barnes XLC at 3240 fps so this new load for my Tikka 270 with a 22 inch barrel is close on the heals of the WSM. My new load is a tack driver with 3 shots into one slightly enlarged hole at 100yds.
    The 270 Win with a load like that will out do many of those standard calibers and with manageable recoil.
    You could pick up a good second hand Tikka for around a $ 1000 so it would be a good option.
    Ryan_Songhurst likes this.

New, howa 1500 or savage 16 trophy hunter. Second hand there heaps come up for a grand, from model 7s to tikkas

Sideshow likes this.

My vote for what it's worth. Based on being a very happy owner of a Howa in 223 1-9 amazed at the accuracy out of the box with what ever I've fed it.

Howa 6.5 creedmoor plenty of range and youtube will show you it's got some serious legs and is bringing down some big animals

Both Shooter Supplies (my preferred seller) and GC sell them in Christchurch and by the way they disappear out the doors ammo supplies should come right.

Otherwise a Lee 50th anniversary kit and you'll be into loading your own (you know you want to) when you start down the long range path you'll be looking to reloading anyway.

P.S. I'm travelling between CHC and DUD reasonably regularly so If you need I can drop something off on the way.
    Last edited by spada; 04-09-2017 at 10:05 PM. Reason: fat fingers
    gadgetman and viper like this.

Quote Originally Posted by spada View Post
    My vote for what it's worth. Based on being a very happy owner of a Howa in 223 1-9 amazed at the accuracy out of the box with what ever I've fed it.

Howa 6.5 creedmoor plenty of range and youtube will show you it's got some serious legs and is bringing down some big animals

Both Shooter Supplies (my preferred seller) and GC sell them in Christchurch and by the way they disappear out the doors ammo supplies should come right.

Otherwise a Lee 50th anniversary kit and you'll be into loading your own (you know you want to) when you start down the long range path you'll be looking to reloading anyway.

P.S. I'm travelling between CHC and DUD reasonably regularly so If you need I can drop something off on the way.
    Cheers mate, thanks for the kind offer.
    Marty Henry likes this.

I have a brand new Howa 6.5x55 Blued steel bare rifle with the Hogue stock for $860. this is with the flush metal plate 5 round internal mag. (Not the plastic "kidney crusher") I think there is a 7mm08 Ranchland here somewhere as well. And I have a Zastava 308 with a synthetic stock for a similar price. Also brand new, in the box and unfired. (Pretty sure its a 308 but there was a 270 and if it is one of those I apologise as I know you dont want one).

Then look at a scope. I have some 3-9x 40 Nikkos but our current selection of scopes is limited so I dont usually do packages as you may want a scope we dont have.

Howa 1500 without houge stock or a as new t3 2nd hand would be my picks

I have never seen a houge stock howa shoot well without modification to stiffen up the stock my mate ant has a howa ranchland in 7mm-08 and that is a tackdriver but waighs a ton due to all the risen he had to fill the barrel channel in with my brothers 270 was the same and my neighbour came to me with his one he can't get to shoot just yesterday
    However my plane jane synthetic one is an absolute tack driver out the box
    So are the wood ones ive seen so seems to be something to do with the houge stocks

I do have some of the original "plain jane" stocks at the same price as the Hogue.. and if you want to source a wooden one form somewhere like Boyds I can do the barrelled action (Rifle without a stock) for $699.

Quote Originally Posted by Mooseman View Post
    Yes the old 270 may not be the flavor of the month these days but it will certainly hold it's own against many of the 6.5's and a lot of other standard calibers. If you want real long range performance you may need to go bigger.
    Have a look at my post "More 270 Loads" I put up the other day.
    That load with the 145 gr ELD-X and Superformance powder has opened my eyes up on the old war horse. That load is travelling at 3114 fps Av and has a muzzle energy of 3122 ft ld .
    I had a 270 WSM which I left in Canada for my son to use and that used to push the 130 Barnes XLC at 3240 fps so this new load for my Tikka 270 with a 22 inch barrel is close on the heals of the WSM. My new load is a tack driver with 3 shots into one slightly enlarged hole at 100yds.
    The 270 Win with a load like that will out do many of those standard calibers and with manageable recoil.
    You could pick up a good second hand Tikka for around a $ 1000 so it would be a good option.
    @Mooseman is my favourite person this week.
    Tahr, Dreamer and Shearer like this.

Canterbury, home of the big Rakaia Red Stag
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan_Songhurst View Post
    @Mooseman is my favourite person this week.
    And I bet you have a framed picture of Jack O'Connor above your bed
    Tahr, Dreamer, Shearer and 3 others like this.