Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678
Like Tree107Likes

Thread: Best $1000 budget rifle ??

Quote Originally Posted by tommygun View Post
    That said, most factory rifles will do 1 MOA.
    Quite true and often forgotten, some people think a 1 MOA guarantee is more meaningful than it really is. With modern rifles its basically just a guarantee that it will be at least average (with a good shooter and ammo it likes).

The 783, Savages Axis, and Ruger American all probably shoot well in reality, but they feel flimsy as anything. The big rubber Hogue stock on the Howa feels chunky, but i'm betting it'll be easier to hold when you get mud, blood, or anything else that's slippery on your rifle, whereas regular plastic is probably not so good in that regard.
    The hogue stock was actually one of the things I didn't like about the Howas I've handled - the grippyness was nice, but the fore-end was so soft and flexible that I could push it against the barrel easily with light finger pressure. Doesn't worry some people, but it would annoy me if I owned one.

What about a Bergara take-down .308? Fits in the budget as the take-down version is $999, stainless steel, picatinny rail, and factory threaded. 16" barrel, which, in a single shot, makes it very short, but plenty of potential for accuracy, and it's a Bergara, they make excellent barrels.
    Had a good play with one of these in the weekend, although it was the 20", 1-12 twist version. I was just running in the barrel for a mate, so I didn't do any real accuracy testing. Quite impressed really. Not as light as you would think but the weight is in the barrel where it should be. Trigger was way better than I expected, the hammer pull click, while there, was quiet enough. Being a quick take-down it will be real handy for those who have to walk a long way or for what ever reason don't want people to know they have a rifle with them. I'm going to have to give it serious consideration.

As an aside, it had a Dean Maisey suppressor on it, again heavier than other models but very well made. Whether is quieter than say my HRE I couldn't say.

Quote Originally Posted by GravelBen View Post
    Quite true and often forgotten, some people think a 1 MOA guarantee is more meaningful than it really is. With modern rifles its basically just a guarantee that it will be at least average (with a good shooter and ammo it likes).

The hogue stock was actually one of the things I didn't like about the Howas I've handled - the grippyness was nice, but the fore-end was so soft and flexible that I could push it against the barrel easily with light finger pressure. Doesn't worry some people, but it would annoy me if I owned one.
    True, I've also found that if you push the fore-end to the left or right before you tighten the action screws, it'll more or less stay in that position. Easy to avoid, and even if you rest the fore-end on a bipod or tree branch etc it won't touch the barrel through the sheer weight of the rifle. There are niggly things yes, but we are talking a sub $1k rifle, $899 without the scope usually

I was in the local H & F recently while a guy was umming and arring about a brand new Howa 1500 in a houge stock, with Nicko diamond scope and a DPT can, in 243, all for $999
    He decided to phone a friend, and was told not to touch it as they are a POS.
    He walked away
    Forgotmaboltagain+1

Quote Originally Posted by Pengy View Post
    I was in the local H & F recently while a guy was umming and arring about a brand new Howa 1500 in a houge stock, with Nicko diamond scope and a DPT can, in 243, all for $999
    He decided to phone a friend, and was told not to touch it as they are a POS.
    He walked away
    Well I will go on the record as calling him foolish (I will stop short of calling him an idiot...) The Diamond range of scopes are very under rated even for the 3-9x40. And with a DPT can (Or any new can for that matter - Gunworks, Greystone, DPT , MAE) for new even if it is 243 that is a bloody good deal. The actions alone cost us near 3/4 of that without the scope let alone the suppressor....I am tempted to ask which H&F and send a mate up rather than sell him one of ours.....

I got this Howa 1500 .308 for $750 new at Shooters supplies.Thepurists would probably suggest a flasher scope, but I am on a budget and it is a 1-3 times a year rifle.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by Growlybear View Post
    I got this Howa 1500 .308 for $750 new at Shooters supplies.Thepurists would probably suggest a flasher scope, but I am on a budget and it is a 1-3 times a year rifle.Attachment 76008
    Huh?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Here's the deal I'm the best there is. Plain and simple. I wake up in the morning and I piss excellence."

sorry. Got click happy. Have corrected the photo.
    Spudattack likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by berg243 View Post
    good price and as long as it holds its accuracy to the range you want to shoot then its a good buy.everyone is different and its good to have choices otherwise we all would have a tikka and drive a crappy hilux.
    I have Tikkas and a hilux.
    the hilux (1989) gets me where I want to go and when I get there I miss fuck all with my Tikkas!
    go figure.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
    SlimySquirrel and BRADS like this.
    My favorite sentences i like to hear are - I suppose so. and Send It!

Quote Originally Posted by berg243 View Post
    good price and as long as it holds its accuracy to the range you want to shoot then its a good buy.everyone is different and its good to have choices otherwise we all would have a tikka and drive a crappy hilux.
    I have tikkas, they haven't left my safe, I also have a crappy Hilux and it's sitting on my driveway with a buggered alternator. So I shoot my Sako and drive the wife's mini.....
    gadgetman, BRADS, Gibo and 2 others like this.

[QUOTE=Ryan_Songhurst;640548 and drive the wife's mini.....[/QUOTE]
    SlimySquirrel likes this.
    It's all fun and games till Darthvader comes along
    I respect your beliefs but don't impose them on me.