Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By rupert

Thread: Binocular cleaning

Binocular cleaning

We recently were given a zeiss 8x30 set if oldish binoculars. When I had a look thru them they gave a very poor detail somewhat dim and poor light detail. The exterior lenses look ok but looking from objective to ocular I can see dust etc inside. The clarity does not equal even a basic scope. Can these be restored or are they not worth the effort? I am guessing about 30 years old but outwardly in very good condition. If they can be retored optically then by whom and at what cost? Would they ever be as good as more modern steiners etc?
    Summer grass
    Of stalwart warriors splendid dreams
    the aftermath.

Matsuo Basho.

Send them back to Zeiss for cleaning via the agent. Don't send without the factory support. I sent a Zeiss scope back for repair and they refused to accept it and it got lost in the post coming back to NZ and NZ Post refused to honour the insurance claim because it was outside 30 days. About 5 years ago, I sent in a scope to Zeiss for a reticle change and this time I followed the complicated process they required (there is no postal agreement between NZ and Germany) and it took about 6 months and cost about $500 (but it did get back to me). I had a pair of Swarovski 8x30 (1997 model) cleaned at the factory a couple of years ago. The cost was around $450 and it took about 9 months. So, it is a rigmarole, and it takes quite a while, and it is expensive.
    Moa Hunter likes this.

Thanks for that info @rupert. Sounds like it's probably not worth the hassle for an older set.
    Summer grass
    the aftermath.

Matsuo Basho.

Camera workshops may be able to help. They clean fungus spots out of lenses all the time. Zeiss do not have a lifetime warranty that can be voided, so taking a punt might pay off.

Yes. Will have a yarn with camera shop
    Summer grass
    the aftermath.

Matsuo Basho.