Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree32Likes

Thread: Browning BLR Takedown

So the modern blr have an aluminium receiver and they have a steel insert pressed in. The barrel screws on one side and the bolt lock in the opposite side:
    Name:  IMG_2505.JPG
Views: 687
Size:  1.71 MB
    jakewire likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by GDMP View Post
    As near as I can tell it came from you.
    Must not of read much of the thread then. It's mentioned in the first response regarding Tommy talking to a gunsmith as well as numerous American forums saying can rebarrel pre81s but not any of the alloy receiver models. ALthough they seem to think they are unable to be rebarrelled 90% of the time although there is the odd person vaguely saying it can be done then not commenting again. I was also told by 2 smiths they are press fit and one the actual barrel Is machined to take the bolt lugs when I called and asked. Evidently the press fit barrel extension is confused for a press fit barrel. Have you ever rebarrelled takedown model by removing the barrel from extension?

Quote Originally Posted by timattalon View Post
    Its a shame you did not start looking 18 months ago when I had my one for sale....https://www.nzhuntingandshooting.co....pressed-46532/ I sold something else instead to buy the motorbike...which ironically is the bike I have listed on here now...having had 18 months of an affair with it.....(my other bike was getting jealous but it does not know I have my eye on a sporty wee number now...)
    Handled a 300 win mag blr in the states and really didn't feel it handled as nice as the 308 model (both steel receiver non takedowns). So never really looked at any long actions. Plus I'm a stainless rifle type love the look of blued but just know I'll mess it up.

Quote Originally Posted by GDMP View Post
    Probably because my eyes tend to glaze over when I see people posting stuff as fact that that is absolutely incorrect,and I see it over and over again when it comes to gunsmithing.No I have never rebarrelled a takedown model.But as far as the non-takedown alloy receiver BLR it is no different to re-barrel than a steel receiver rifle the barrel screws in and out exactly the same and the process to machine and fit a new barrel is exactly the same.
    Genuinely trying to engage here with you and learn as you seem as far as I know the most knowledgable person I've seen on the modern BLR's. I'm sorry if I've somehow pissed you off wasn't the intention.

Quote Originally Posted by Stocky View Post
    Handled a 300 win mag blr in the states and really didn't feel it handled as nice as the 308 model (both steel receiver non takedowns). So never really looked at any long actions. Plus I'm a stainless rifle type love the look of blued but just know I'll mess it up.
    I have a brand new 357 Marlin M1894 which I have shot once. Brought it as a knock about handy gun but its too nice to wreck. I should have brought the stainless synthetic one!!
    Stocky likes this.

Name:  Screenshot_20201211-072528.jpg
Views: 662
Size:  514.0 KB

That looks like a thread. End of thread discussion. I love my blr. Biggest negative is it can be cold under the hand when it's freezing. Biggest positive. You can fast reload with out your eye coming of the crosshairs.

Quote Originally Posted by Cowboy View Post
    Attachment 155807

That looks like a thread. End of thread discussion. I love my blr. Biggest negative is it can be cold under the hand when it's freezing. Biggest positive. You can fast reload with out your eye coming of the crosshairs.
    Don't think there was any argument anymore about whether they are threaded. As it seems they are threaded to a barrel extension which which is press fit to a aluminium receiver. Again it's kind of an off topic as the thread was supposed to be about the takedowns. Good point about the cold is it the trigger hand or rifle hand that gets cold?

I often use my trigger hand to carry when moving quick. It's no buggy tho. I've gone through a couple of lefty bolts and have come back to the blr. I also love that the rolling hammer head on half cock, perfect to roll my finger round when the front stock sits in the crook of my arm. It's comfy and still quick to engage an animal.
    Got-ya and Stocky like this.

Ahh yes good point cheers

Any comments from owners about how accurately these takedowns shoot?

NRT
    Yeah groups well enough for a hunting rifle ,three shot groups at hundred inch to inch and half with handloads nice rifles

Sent from my Nokia 7 plus using Tapatalk
    Strummer likes this.

ablakebrown
    Just purchased one of these, the BLR Lightweight Stainless Takedown in 7mm-08 that I'm hoping to bring with me from the US when I move over in August - NZ police approved by 30-06 bolt action, let's see what they say about another request. Taken it to the range twice, still only with iron sights but plinking soda cans at 100yds with consistency...that's about as much as I can say for the accuracy without putting a scope on there. TBH it's fun as hell shooting the open sights, I might leave it that way for a while as an encouragement to make me get close to animals before shots. The takedown mechanism is super easy and feels very stable, doesn't seem to budge the point of aim but again I am only iron sighting at this stage. The laminated wood is nice looking and feels sturdy to hand, overall a very fun and comfortable rifle. I have only ever shot 308 and 30-06 before this and the 7-08 feels super nice and easy to shoot.

Name:  BLR 1.JPG
Views: 572
Size:  1.76 MB Name:  BLR2.JPG
Views: 553
Size:  1.55 MB
    Last edited by ablakebrown; 11-06-2021 at 11:12 AM.
    NRT, Micky Duck, 30late and 5 others like this.

NRT
    Get the trigger work done by a gunsmith there before bringing it back,in the process of getting mine down now will cost me $120 in couriers a lone because of the fucking knee jerk reaction Christchurch caused ,yet know one is accountable except my fucking wallet,,,

Sent from my Nokia 7 plus using Tapatalk

ablakebrown
    Definitely, thanks for the heads up. It’s weird how hotly/creaky the trigger is, but I’ve read they’re all like that. What are you having yours adjusted to, and how complicated did they say it would be?