Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
Like Tree103Likes

Thread: Is buying 69 firearms from GunCity in 18 months signs of an addiction ?

Quote Originally Posted by hamsav View Post
    Your forgetting one thing .....the agenda is to disarm the people, crims or otherwise, and while you and I can see that further legislation ( applied to the wrong sector of the community ) is going to do nothing to stop crims , but as I say that aint the end goal.
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisF View Post
    You donot need to raid them to stop firearm miss use , simply puish firearm miss use harshly .
    By all means raid them to seize drugs & take the ill gotten gains OFF them & imprison them etc .

To me the easiest & most elegant solution , is the one , I out lined , simply multiply the std sentence by a factor or 2,3 or 4x , so if robbery is 10yrs say , with a firearm its say 40yrs , or if murder is say 15yrs , its now 60yrs , or if thats too DIFFICULT , and you need to make it simplier for Judges & Lawers, as maybe they cannot do the maths or own/use a calculator , THEN just convert it to a std LIFE sentence ( ie real life , ie never to be released , and imprisoned for ever until their die in place ) .

So in short , JUST make it LIFE for using a firearm in the commission of a crime .

And when it gets too hard because we the counrty cannot afford IT , 2 options , either export them to Indo & pay them to hold them , or bring in the death penility , and sell that as not the GovT getting harsh or dacronian , but as a simple cost saving measure/budget in true GoVt style , that would work , as it makes bean counter sense .

Lets simply make people accountable for their actions , and rewarded approperiatly ( punished ) , Opps , I know the Lawers wont like that , do them out of a lot of earnings .
    And lets stop punishing good people for the acts of a few wrong ins , opps , I better stop , now as I seem to be making sense again .

Later Chris
    I don't think the agenda is to disarm people in NZ. That's a conspiracists view and a bit extreme. Good management and robust systems can prevent a lot of this and preserve the longevity of good citizens being able to own and use firearms in NZ.

Chris - what you say is good and I agree but in nz that is exceedingly expensive and a bit idealistic. Not playing devils advocate but finding good management in the early stages ie. a central registry, would prevent a good chunk of this stuff at no real inconvenience to us as law abiding citizens. Slamming the real crims does need to be stepped up to a degree though so I'm not at all disagreeing. Prevention is a great medicine.

Sent from my Browning

Quote Originally Posted by hamsav View Post
    pretty much what we had prior to 82 , and all without computers, Im not that keen . The 1st step in disarmament is to find out where all the guns are , and I don't believe that it would help reduce gun crime .... crims don't register guns , and I wouldn't want to see the private sale of guns restricted or made difficult ( coz then people wouldn't bother ). I could almost accept a system similar to the private sale of cars , where you do what you want and just advise the relevant authorities later
    It wouldn't restrict or make anything more difficult at all? Filling out another few words at the gun shop takes a good 45 seconds...or they do it for you... it's not restricting anything....it would however pick up when one man buys sixty fuckin nine firearms and alert someone.

Disarmament...really? This isn't North Korea. Whether you're left or right I don't think any government in the forseeable future would drive that home at all - seems out of touch to be quite honest...we are talking New Zealand here...

And private sale - same as a car is a good idea yes.

Quote Originally Posted by jord View Post
    Having a centralised registry of firearms, owners and addresses would be piss easy to set up these days.

Sent from my Browning
    Your kidding right? The police struggle to maintain accurate records of MSSA ownership, how will they fare trying to do the same with everything?
    dogmatix, veitnamcam and scaggly like this.

Who the fuck is going to pay for it. Look at Canada's registry. What do you think it's possibly going to achieve? Compliance will be hilariously low, particularly amongst criminals
    dogmatix, Bryan, Steveh054 and 2 others like this.

At least they will know who the honest people are

res
    Having a centralised registry of firearms, owners and addresses would be piss easy to set up these days.

Sent from my Browning

No so, do you realise that Canada very recently scraped one as it was unworkable-even after throwing unlimited $ at it
    dogmatix and scaggly like this.
    Using Tapatalk

The point everyone seems to be missing is that the guy was caught and has been convicted and will be sentenced, the system works as is

Model it of our car ownership system...that works fine. VIN/rego, name address. It shouldn't get to that stage though. That's 69 firearms unaccounted for and that's a huge failing.

Sent from my Browning

Good shit hamsav. There are exceptions always, I just think the system needs a wee tidy up to at least try and prevent some of the extreme cases from happening. It's a minor inconvenience to us normal folk really.

Sent from my Browning

maby he had a inside guy at gun city

being in a sales enviroment you quicky learn who your regulars are and who one of people are

and he would have been in there shit loads
    OPCz

If in doubt double tap

Quote Originally Posted by gimp View Post
    Who the fuck is going to pay for it. Look at Canada's registry. What do you think it's possibly going to achieve? Compliance will be hilariously low, particularly amongst criminals
    If online based it will cost bugger all. Seriously bugger all. Can't compare to Canada - different population, different country.

What will it achieve? It will achieve a record of all firearms in NZ...which we currently don't have and the above incident is exactly why we need one.

Compliance low? It should be mandatory then there won't be an option - especially for new rifles from dealers, that's easy to enforce through them just as showing your license when you buy new now. Private sales will be different yes but like car ownership the seller will want to make it happen....just as seeing the buyers license now.

[QUOTE=jord;242565]Having a centralised registry of firearms, owners and addresses would be piss easy to set up these days.

You reckon? When I purchased my first firearm I went to the local police station to register it and the answer I got was " we don't register firearms anymore" I was floored couldn't believe their attitude..Regards Mohawk

[QUOTE=Mohawk660;242604]

You reckon? When I purchased my first firearm I went to the local police station to register it and the answer I got was " we don't register firearms anymore" I was floored couldn't believe their attitude..Regards Mohawk
    Good on you. I agree - it's the wrong attitude. It needs to be backed across the board though which is always hard ebcuase not many like change.

I can't stress how easy it is to do this sort of thing online now - just as car rego, ownership and even the mechanic doing your WOF is all done online etc

If the dealer does that when you buy new or second hand from them, then the work is done for you - instead of writing in their book under the counter they just wack in a few details onto the system and bang it's done and with the internet now days it can be centralised very very easily. As for private sales....over the internet when the deal is taking place at the buyer/sellers home or go down to the post office like you do with car ownership but instead of the VIN you have a firearm serial number. The only thing that will stop it working is the anti brigade. I'm not for disarmament or anything rediculous like that but for shit sake look at what has just happened as the result - yes he got caught....after 69 firearms had passed through unnoticed! It didn't work and was removed in 82 because in my opinion the technology wasn't there - not saying it can't be done but it is really not that hard to set up and run these days.

Registering firearms does not stop them from getting into the wrong hands. I experienced the Canadian gun registry first hand while working in a hunting shop over there. It was completely flawed, the public and police knew it, it just took a few billion dollars and a lot of head scratching by the politicians to realize it. Also any online database/registry is at risk of being hacked or compromised, which also occurred with the Canadian registry.

I agree that harsher penalties for firearm related crime is a better option.

Gimp is also correct in stating that the current system obviously worked, otherwise the guy would not have been caught.
    Hunting is not a hobby.....its an addiction