Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
Like Tree103Likes

Thread: Is buying 69 firearms from GunCity in 18 months signs of an addiction ?

Not that I am arguing the point but how is one lethal injection more expensive than food housing health care etc for 60 odd years?
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    Not that I am arguing the point but how is one lethal injection more expensive than food housing health care etc for 60 odd years?
    appeals process etc. and you HAVE to have an appeals process and a muuuuch higher standard of proof, to prevent innocent people getting put to death. Make it cheaper, more innocent people WILL be killed by the state.

Yes Tipple got in the shit for breaching ITAR basically, as I understand it.

I can understand hunters and casual shooters thinking "whats wrong with registration? It isn't that big of an inconvenience". My answer to that is it would be a huge inconvenience for guys like me and some of my friends who buy, sell and trade firearms often. It is enough of a pain in the ass having to get mail order forms and import permits, if the AO isn't in, I'm shit out of luck. I recently tried to jack up custody of an AR from gimp, by the time I got the permit to procure, he was leaving the country, the P2P expires next month so it has basically torpedoed our plans. FUCK having to deal with crap like that for every gun I sell or take possession of. That is the number one reason I am against universal registration. All good if you buy a rifle once a year...or a decade.

I hate to be the wank that points it out, but where are all the AR's and AK's in this? The way they bang on about them being assault weapons and desirable for undesirables, you would think he would be palming those off in mass.
    Trevs likes this.

Turns out that's a load of unsubstantiated bullshit

Quote Originally Posted by Toby View Post
    Capital punishment would probably stop a few people. But if someone is set on being a fuck face they're gonna be a fuck face. Only postive for the death sentence is at least theres no more fuck face, why'd they stop the death sentence again jks
    Toby, I might be a redneck hick from the south but I don't and would not support captial punishment. Being dead is not a punishment its just being dead. the perpetrators family end up being punished, and they may have done nothing and also there is too much room for error. Look at all the police "opps we got it wrong"s lately.

I would pay more tax if they were sentenced to the rest of their natural lives and it meant it
    jakewire likes this.
    All those with dogs waiting no longer fear death. Those with many dogs waiting even welcome it in it's time.

Quote Originally Posted by Beavis View Post
    I hate to be the wank that points it out, but where are all the AR's and AK's in this? The way they bang on about them being assault weapons and desirable for undesirables, you would think he would be palming those off in mass.
    Wonder if it is because you can't just take a hacksaw to an AR or AK and cut it down to pistol length without turning them into an awkward single shot? Shortening any sort of gas system requires a bit more know how than hacking an old sxs, 303, or 10/22 off short.

I thought I'd try find out what this guy is looking at for his trouble, the firearms stuff is pretty petty compared to Class A drug dealing. Supplying a firearm to an unlicensed person carries a smack on the wrist as per the Police Firearms Manual 2002: 1.12 Every person commits an offence who sells or supplies a firearm (other than a pistol, MSSA, or restricted weapon) to any person who is not the holder of a Firearms Licence or Dealers Licence. Section 43, Arms Act 1983. Penalty: 3 months - $1000 or both. (Will that be 3 months per unit sold? I would be very surprised...)

Supplying meth will be the real clincher here:

Some drug offences and maximum penalties

In the following list, 'indictment' refers to a conviction dealt with in a Crown Court (with a jury); 'summarily' refers to a conviction in a Magistrates Court.

Possession

Class A 6 months imprisonment and/or $1,000 fine
    Class B 3 months imprisonment and/or $500 fine
    Class C 3 months imprisonment and/or $500 fine
    Supply or manufacture

Class A Life imprisonment
    Class B 14 years imprisonment
    Class C Indictment – 8 years imprisonment. Summarily – 1 year jail and/or $1,000 fine

I wonder if it will be treated like this one: 'Methamphetamine queen' appeals 20-year sentence - National - NZ Herald News I am interested to see how the courts deal with this guy.

Quote Originally Posted by mikee View Post
    Toby, I might be a redneck hick from the south but I don't and would not support captial punishment. Being dead is not a punishment its just being dead. the perpetrators family end up being punished, and they may have done nothing and also there is too much room for error. Look at all the police "opps we got it wrong"s lately.

I would pay more tax if they were sentenced to the rest of their natural lives and it meant it
    I'm with mikee on this, but I would prefer to see prisons downgraded a little in lieu of a tax hike. Not necessarily medieval, but it doesn't need to be anywhere near as nice as it is.
    Savage1 likes this.

44Selling or supplying pistol, military style semi-automatic firearm, or restricted weapon to person who does not hold permit to import or to procure
    (1)Every person commits an offence and is liable on conviction to imprisonment for a term not exceeding 3 years or to a fine not exceeding $4,000 or to both who sells or supplies a pistol, military style semi-automatic firearm, or restricted weapon to any person other than a person who is authorised
    (a)by a permit issued for the purposes of section 16(1) to bring or cause to be brought or sent into New Zealand that pistol, military style semi-automatic firearm, or restricted weapon; or
    (b)by a permit issued under section 35 to procure that pistol, military style semi-automatic firearm, or restricted weapon.
    section 44
    square1 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by square1 View Post
    I'm with mikee on this, but I would prefer to see prisons downgraded a little in lieu of a tax hike. Not necessarily medieval, but it doesn't need to be anywhere near as nice as it is.
    I would rather see the money spent on positive results-focussed rehabilitation and prevention programs rather than emotive "punish them!!" mentality. Stop crime before it happens through reducing poverty etc maybe, cos GETTING TOUGH ON CRIME pretty much hasn't worked awesome ever

Quote Originally Posted by scaggly View Post
    Wonder if it is because you can't just take a hacksaw to an AR or AK and cut it down to pistol length without turning them into an awkward single shot? Shortening any sort of gas system requires a bit more know how than hacking an old sxs, 303, or 10/22 off short.

Possibly a combination of that + an AR is $2000+ and this dudes average gun price is like $675 ish

Would have thought "69" would have rung bells
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

Quote Originally Posted by gimp View Post
    I would rather see the money spent on positive results-focussed rehabilitation and prevention programs rather than emotive "punish them!!" mentality. Stop crime before it happens through reducing poverty etc maybe, cos GETTING TOUGH ON CRIME pretty much hasn't worked awesome ever
    It's not an 'emotive "punish them!!"', I think generally it's a little comfortable in there. What sort of prevention programs do you think could be implemented? Do convicts generally have a desire to be rehabilitated?
    veitnamcam and Savage1 like this.

It doesn't really matter if they have a desire to be rehabilitated, the focus for spending should 100% be on finding out what is actually effective at reducing crime, and doing that.