Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Like Tree161Likes

Thread: calibre advice

Lovin Facebook for hunters kiwijames's Avatar
    Having a sulk isn't going to get you far and your assessment of the forum as a whole is pretty much wrong.
    First time posters wanting to shoot animals @ 1600y are most likely to be
    A. Full of shit
    B. Kids with no idea
    C. Naive
    D. All of the above
    Post 2 (hey no introduction or anything, fancy that) has our OP already shooting animals at 800y with 270s, 308s, and a 7-08. I'm going to file that straight into category B.
    Toby likes this.
    The range of what we think and do is limited by what we fail to notice. And because we fail to notice that we fail to notice, there is little we can do to change; until we notice how failing to notice shapes our thoughts and deeds

Quote Originally Posted by kiwijames View Post
    Having a sulk isn't going to get you far and your assessment of the forum as a whole is pretty much wrong.
    A. Full of shit
    B. Kids with no idea
    C. Naive
    D. All of the above
    Post 2 (hey no introduction or anything, fancy that) has our OP already shooting animals at 800y with 270s, 308s, and a 7-08. I'm going to file that straight into category B.
    Are you suggesting we sign up to the forum the same day we buy a gun?

Quote Originally Posted by kiwijames View Post
    A. Full of shit
    B. Kids with no idea
    C. Naive
    D. All of the above
    Guys need to remember that some guys are way more knowledgeable that their username or post count suggests & as they use different usernames they may have been here or other pubs before.

I prefer to use the same username everywhere & every now & again the same old trolls will poke shit my way, it is just how it is.....

Quote Originally Posted by Bugger That View Post
    Why not? Another good idea would be to introduce ones self in the Introduction section, so people at least have idea of who or what you are, and answer your questions accordingly.
    Toby likes this.
    Forgotmaboltagain+1

Quote Originally Posted by Gillie View Post
    When i was shooting my .260 a little past 1200m it should have been well and truly subsonic by then but the bloody thing was still grouping awesome... I was expecting the accuracy to go to sh#t - maybe my 130gr projectiles were holding up better than the balistic program says?
    I was shooting the 140gr amax pills Gillie from memory they where right in the edge of transonic?
    Maybe they where under? Unsure I don't have the data anymore.
    But it was easily grouping moa which I found amazing.
    You had time to pull the trigger, lift your head and remove airmuffs in time to hair a faint ding

Quote Originally Posted by BRADS View Post
    You had time to pull the trigger, lift your head and remove airmuffs in time to hair a faint ding
    Yep pretty cool, when shooting those sort of distances i have to remind myself to squeeze then "thousand one, thousand two" and then look for the impact! Otherwise i am generally too quick to cycle the bolt and miss seeing the impact through the scope.
    You cannot miss fast enough!
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/GPREventsNZ
    Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/sgil045

We are asked to introduce ourselves...no biggy.
    Without trying to sound condescending @Bugger That; the ops initial post smells much like someone taking the piss. I have shot all my life, longest shooting at 1000yards, but I would never, ever, even with something like a 338 LM consider shooting at animals over 1000yds. This sort of thread needs to be pulled, idiots who read such talk then head out and buy a Tikka 708 and try shooting deer at600m+...please.
    Dan M

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    We are asked to introduce ourselves...no biggy.
    Without trying to sound condescending @Bugger That; the ops initial post smells much like someone taking the piss. I have shot all my life, longest shooting at 1000yards, but I would never, ever, even with something like a 338 LM consider shooting at animals over 1000yds. This sort of thread needs to be pulled, idiots who read such talk then head out and buy a Tikka 708 and try shooting deer at600m+...please.
    So the NZ Hunter mags etc should be pulled from the shops then....

Lol. There is plenty of showboating to be sure, but much of it is done by experienced individuals...big diff. To the many, I would go on record to say that 600 + yards is far to far to shoot at deer without a decent powered scope and a decent loaded rifle. Not to mention plenty of range time....otherwise Mr Deery is limping off into the sunset.
    Dan M

Quote Originally Posted by Gillie View Post
    Yep pretty cool, when shooting those sort of distances i have to remind myself to squeeze then "thousand one, thousand two" and then look for the impact! Otherwise i am generally too quick to cycle the bolt and miss seeing the impact through the scope.
    one thousand one, one thousand two, you should try one thousand five & a half

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi Greg View Post
    So the NZ Hunter mags etc should be pulled from the shops then....
    well it's all photoshopped anyway

Quote Originally Posted by Bugger That View Post
    I don't think he's suggesting that at all.

I'm in no way qualified to comment on how to shoot 1600yds, and happy to admit it. However, I do know that it takes a lot of knowledge to shoot that kind of distance. That knowledge is in no way evident in the question he posted. He wasn't asking what peoples thoughts were on a couple of calibers he was tossing and turning over. It was like one of the typical, "what caliber is best," threads we see all the time, but with the added bonus of wanting to shoot at 1600yds. That's why the peanut gallery was attracted to watch the show.

I would think that someone who knows what they're talking about and is asking a question like that should know the kind of response they're going to get unless they provide a lot more information than they did. He didn't, which has led most people to assume (rightly or wrongly) that he doesn't have a clue.
    Toby likes this.

Popcorn....Not peanut
    257weatherby likes this.
    Forgotmaboltagain+1

Quote Originally Posted by Pengy View Post
    Why not? Another good idea would be to introduce ones self in the Introduction section, so people at least have idea of who or what you are, and answer your questions accordingly.
    Hi Guys, I live in Auckland, 57 Latte Street, I earn $345000 a year, I'm 43 years old, my missus has a blonde bob & wears a 12 DD bra, we have two holiday homes & just got back from a quick jaunt to Monaco, in my gun safe I have 4 Tikka 7-08s in different pastel shades to suit my many hunting ensembles & accessories, can I please join your forum & post accordingly please Sir .... Yeah right....

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi Greg View Post
    Hi Guys, I live in Auckland, 57 Latte Street, I earn $345000 a year, I'm 43 years old, my missus has a blonde bob & wears a 12 DD bra, we have two holiday homes & just got back from a quick jaunt to Monaco, in my gun safe I have 4 Tikka 7-08s in different pastel shades to suit my many hunting ensembles & accessories, can I please join your forum & post accordingly please Sir .... Yeah right....
    Lucky bastard
    Dan M