Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Like Tree161Likes

Thread: calibre advice

L.R
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi Greg View Post
    Hi Guys, I live in Auckland, 57 Latte Street, I earn $345000 a year, I'm 43 years old, my missus has a blonde bob & wears a 12 DD bra, we have two holiday homes & just got back from a quick jaunt to Monaco, in my gun safe I have 4 Tikka 7-08s in different pastel shades to suit my many hunting ensembles & accessories, can I please join your forum & post accordingly please Sir .... Yeah right....
    Living the dream there.....

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    Lol. There is plenty of showboating to be sure, but much of it is done by experienced individuals...big diff. To the many, I would go on record to say that 600 + yards is far to far to shoot at deer without a decent powered scope and a decent loaded rifle. Not to mention plenty of range time....otherwise Mr Deery is limping off into the sunset.

Dan I respect your comment but with respect it is influenced by your current understanding. I have and so have several others I know taken deer and goats etc. @ beyond 1000y. I agree with you that it requires a suitable caliber and understanding of the shot at hand.

I agree this thread may well be a fraud or it could be someone who has actually got plenty of experience and posted this to see the reaction. Who knows? I guess as a forum you guys need to define the boundaries of long range and at what point it becomes taboo. A near impossible task I would think already I disagree with you in that I'm quite comfortable at 1000y and by your own admission you are not and you know what that's fine you may have no intention of shooting that far or you may be working your way toward it. But if you tell me I'm unethical then there is the problem as I know well just how clean 1000y kill is or can be. Likewise someone starts shooting shit at 1600y with his cannon who are we to comment. We don't shoot that far. He may shoot 1600y clean all day. We are not all equal some people shine way brighter than others ever will.

What does happen though is these shots just go underground. The guys clam up just as they do on this forum and that is to the detriment of the forum. I would personally like to read and talk about the challenges of shooting 2000y as Brad states oh and I already knew Brad did, the shooting circles are quite small in NZ. Likewise I’d like to hear reports of the bar being pushed further out and I think it should be acknowledge and applauded not kept a dirty secret. What these guys are achieving as civilians is some what incredible.

As for an introduction I'd be between a rock and a hard place. Either way I'd loose. My post was a shit stir I accept that but now I know who's who and I know more than enough people outside the forum to get by.

Plenty of good comment thereand i am the first to acknowledge that there are plenty of Kiwis who are readily able to harvest game at the distances mentioned
    Me? Nope. I would doubt I would ever try.
    I would definitely hope I wasn't sounding too cynical... I obviously was.
    I will crawl back under my rock and I hope the new friend crawls out from underneath his
    Dan M

Quote Originally Posted by Bugger That View Post
    Likewise I’d like to hear reports of the bar being pushed further out and I think it should be acknowledge and applauded not kept a dirty secret. What these guys are achieving as civilians is some what incredible.
    BTW 4K metres is possible, but you won't catch the guy posting about it, even if he is on a forum, no it wasn't me, I'm no where near good enough for that sort of accuracy

There is a very big world outside the forum

One of the biggest problem with talking about that sort of achievement is everyone thinks your are full of shit...
    Last edited by Kiwi Greg; 26-05-2015 at 08:49 PM.

4k, that's a long walk

Quote Originally Posted by gimp View Post
    4k, that's a long walk
    It is a very long walk to check a steel target first hand

BTW 4K metres is possible, but you won't catch the guy posting about it, even if he is on a forum, no it wasn't me, I'm no where near good enough for that sort of accuracy

There is a very big world outside the forum
    Tracey keeps me posted on whos doing what but I had not heard of that. I did well the other day it only cost me 5k to get out the door if he had his way I'd be sporting a new cannon with machined 375 pills. I guess at some point I might join you guys but its not in my budget of time or money for a couple more years I expect. I'm just enjoying doing what I'm doing and showing my mate the ropes till he gets to 1000 which will be about max for his setup. In 2 weekends I got him to 765 I'm pretty stoked with that and so is he.

Quote Originally Posted by Bugger That View Post
    Tracey keeps me posted on whos doing what but I had not heard of that. I did well the other day it only cost me 5k to get out the door if he had his way I'd be sporting a new cannon with machined 375 pills. I guess at some point I might join you guys but its not in my budget of time or money for a couple more years I expect. I'm just enjoying doing what I'm doing and showing my mate the ropes till he gets to 1000 which will be about max for his setup. In 2 weekends I got him to 765 I'm pretty stoked with that and so is he.
    He is mucking around with other stuff at the moment

The 375 is without doubt the way forward in ELR.

I'm really looking forward to a longer barrel to see how hard I can accurately push my 452s

Nothing like cutting edge

4k, that's a long walk
    And an even longer carry.
    Dan M

calibre advice

I'm really looking forward to a longer barrel to see how hard I can accurately push my 452s

How many moa (roughly) is your mate doping the dcm two go that far?
    Someone should run 4k into a 308 through shooter for a laugh.
    It's around 430moa with a edge........

If its the gentleman I am thinking of he has some very very cool stuff
    All those with dogs waiting no longer fear death. Those with many dogs waiting even welcome it in it's time.

Quote Originally Posted by BRADS View Post
    How many moa (roughly) is your mate doping the dcm two go that far?
    Someone should run 4k into a 308 through shooter for a laugh.
    It's around 430moa with a edge........
    With my load its over 900
    BRADS likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by mikee View Post
    If its the gentleman I am thinking of he has some very very cool stuff
    Possibly & he knows how to use it

Possibly & he knows how to use it
    Yes to say he can shoot well would be the understatement of the day.
    All those with dogs waiting no longer fear death. Those with many dogs waiting even welcome it in it's time.

Who uses yards in the year 2015 anyway
    I do.