Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Which calibre for a Martini Henry project?

Quote Originally Posted by gundoc View Post
    Bear in mind that the Matini-Henry action needs to have the firing pin diameter and protrusion reduced and a hardened steel firing pin bush fitted into the face of the breech block before they are safe to use with high-pressure modern cartridges (eg. in excess of 40,000 psi) or the cartridge pressure can force the large diameter firing pin backwards when fired. This results in a ruptured primer, severe gas erosion of the breech face, and hot gases in the face of the shooter. The .303 Martini-Enfield actions usually have had this modification done in the 1890's when converted at Enfield. Personally, I believe that your best ruults will be with the .45/70 and leave the hotter cartridges to more modern actions.
    Thanks, I'm unsure if either of the actions were from .303s or 577-450, that may dictate what I do with it, but there's something very cool about a .45/70, even if I only use cast bullets over Trail Boss

Quote Originally Posted by tommygun View Post
    Thanks, I'm unsure if either of the actions were from .303s or 577-450, that may dictate what I do with it, but there's something very cool about a .45/70, even if I only use cast bullets over Trail Boss
    Nothing wrong with that. Or you could do a cowboy action load from the ADI book which is a little faster than the trail boss loads.
    Once I shoot all the trail boss loads I have I will do the cowboy action loads. Only have about 100+ to shoot.

45/70

Anyone know where I might find a cheap .45 calibre barrel then?

If the block was converted to .303 it will have a dovetail machined into it's face and a wedge fitted in with the smaller firing pin hole.

9.3x74r

Looks like one of the receivers has the dove-tailed bolt face and the other doesn't, also it turns out the guy looking to sell it already has a 7x57R barrel destined for it but is missing a part from the action. Could still be a cool project maybe sell the 7mm barrel and get a .45-70 =)

Hopefully you have a 303 ejector in your glory box, much easier to adapt than a 577/450 one.