Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: Calibre for over a Deer Dog

my pooch doesnt seem to care ...but having had dogs with buggered hearing in past all my rifles now wear cans...only the shotties are bare barrels. going out shooting wallabies where you can fire 20-50 rounds in a day is MUCH MUCH more pleasant if everyone has suppressors..... boy does the fella without one get given shit about it. personaly over having ringing ears so cant see why I should do it to my dogs.
    gadgetman and bigbear like this.

I run a 300 blackout mostly with subsonics and the odd trip with a suppressed 270, shot thousands of rounds over and around the hound dog. The hound is normally 5m-10m in front of me when I shoot animals.

Gone but not forgotten
    Only my 22 has a suppressor, none of the centrefires do, but I can see the point of them after a mate fired his 30-30 from a metre or two behind me back in the 1990s. Fair rattled my head, even with earplugs in.

Quote Originally Posted by Cigar View Post
    Only my 22 has a suppressor, none of the centrefires do, but I can see the point of them after a mate fired his 30-30 from a metre or two behind me back in the 1990s. Fair rattled my head, even with earplugs in.
    you havent lived untill mate does it with a dirty06.......... ears ring for days.

Quote Originally Posted by 7mmwsm View Post
    I keep my dog within a meter or two. When we get close I make them stay right beside me.
    You are much more clever than me - or maybe a more clever dog/dogs :-))

Banned
    Foster I would try something like suppressing a Ruger 77 - 44. The little Ruger bolt action with a rotary mag in .44 Magnum. I used one that was extremely accurate with factory ammo, and if he wanted to lesson the blast he can load a 300 grain bullet subsonic with a AP70 or Trailboss. But I reckon it would be quietest suppressed with .44 mag anyway at just normal levels. And the .44 Mag will do just as well as anything else at bush ranges. A 240 - 300 grain XTP is a fine killer.
    csmiffy likes this.

Stick with your suppressed 308 and if you've got time get the dog back beside you before shooting. You can still shoot a deer with your 308 etc at 300 yards if one pops up with full power load. You're fucked with subsonic. Personally I'd leave the subsonic loads for your 22....old age will deafen your dog anyway....
    jakewire likes this.

I have both a suppressed .308 and a suppressed ruger 77/44,you can download the 308 with ar2206h with 75% load and still kill well with the right projectile,making it a lot quieter in the process,I have full power loads for the slips and clearings,I also use the cast 151g with trail boss powder for a truely subsonic round,would be confident shooting deer out to 50m with them with correct bullet placement,the 44 with cast 280g Bullets and a red dot sight is a truely great bush gun set up,the loudest sound is the whack of the bullet hitting the animal,they usually drop on the spot if you hit bone (I tend to try and break the front axle)if a little far back like behind the crease in the front leg they bolt for 15m stop ,wobble then topple over,the quietness of the shot doesn’t seem to pump them with adrenaline giving a mad dash away like the full power loads do,I shoot over a dog and even in front of me she doesn’t mind the sound of the shot,more like a thud than a bang.
    tikka and Micky Duck like this.

He can't suppress either his 308 or 270, they are Browning BAR's, and it doesn't go well.

Need to switch to blr;-)

Quote Originally Posted by Tentman View Post
    He can't suppress either his 308 or 270, they are Browning BAR's, and it doesn't go well.
    how so?????

Quote Originally Posted by Sarvo View Post
    If Dog is pointing/indicating - not sure how you can avoid firing over Dog
    But mybe my 99 Deer shot were different :-)
    well all indications (pun intended) would point (again)to that being the case....fair bit of jest in this piece right here

Quote Originally Posted by Sideshow View Post
    (sorry @7mmwsm but......) so do you reload this dog and what powders do you use? do you pull the tail out squeeze the balls. When long rang do you dial the ears!
    THIS post was in reply to yours....rather pisstakish wouldnt you say?????

Quote Originally Posted by 7mmwsm View Post
    Are you taking the piss?
    Nothing really clever about teaching a dog to do what you want.
    No - just trying to explain to others who might want to use Dog for indicating Deer - that when the action happens - as in those last few seconds before you shoot, it is not easy to get a dog to come back in beside or behind.
    Maybe your bush is more open than what I hunted in ??

But 9 times out of 10 - my GSP would be "literally" rooted to the ground and in a total trance waiting for me to hopefully identify and shoot.

There would be no way of moving her and not loosing the Deer - my only choice to try and limit the blast over her was for me to move to her - but practically was not possible 90% of time without loosing the Deer - most of which would be less than 15m away usually in crap.
    I was shooting for $$ then - so a lost Deer was a lost half weeks wage

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    THIS post was in reply to yours....rather pisstakish wouldnt you say?????
    You guys all get your hand slapped this morning