Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: A-Cat semi-auto mag capacity

Quote Originally Posted by Rock river arms hunter View Post
    If they had arrested you the best thing would've been to use the right to remain silent....

If they hadn't then getting a lawyer and their advice would've been to; decline the offer to answer verbal questions but to answer written questions only and to fully cooperate with police In their investigation.

It's much like changing your firearms storage, you don't actually have to go into the station to do it, a simple letter to the arms officer will suffice.
    Here's a piece of advice, if you have a reasonable excuse/reason then tell the cop. No point in making them guess/assume what your reason might be and it will make it a lot easier on yourself. They're not the enemy if you've done nothing wrong.
    Cyclops likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Jexla View Post
    To be honest we just text our AO for changes of address.... (Her request)
    Isn't there an online form? Pretty sure that's how I did it last time.

Quote Originally Posted by Rock river arms hunter View Post
    And your advice would be?.........what?
    Sorry my bad, I mis-read your post. I blame old age.

Quote Originally Posted by Savage1 View Post
    Here's a piece of advice, if you have a reasonable excuse/reason then tell the cop. No point in making them guess/assume what your reason might be and it will make it a lot easier on yourself. They're not the enemy if you've done nothing wrong.
    As this relates to my previous post a little more detail is I feel in order. Things started off ok, checked license then wanted to look at the rifle so I open the case thats when it took a turn for the worst. Oh you havnt removed the bolt, and the magazine is still on, I explain its an sks semiauto, the bolt is a little hard to remove, and the magazine is fixed, it dont come off. Whats the orange thing? its a chamber flag they show its not loaded. So you carry it loaded sometimes do you? Only when Im hunting not otherwise.
    At this point I got a bad feeling
    about where this seemed to be going.
    Well its a mssa and you dont have an endorsement for that, I try explaining that it is a cat but get told to shut up and step away from the car. He takes the rifle over to a patrol car and talks to the guy inside, there is some arm waving and finger pointing in my direction then the driver gets out. He opens the case, lifts the rifle out drops the mag open looks at it, closes it back, up shoulders the thing then puts it back in the case and wanders over alone. Hands me it back apologises about the other guys behaviour (not always the highest calibre personell on daytime booze bus checkpoints) and talks guns for a bit wanted to know what i thought of the sparc and how the days shooting had been. Left feeling a lot better but still think of what could have happened and how long it would have taken to sort it out.
    Savage1, Tommy and rockland like this.

Safer communities, together. But preferably without that egg.

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk
    Savage1, Tommy and timattalon like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Marty Henry View Post
    As this relates to my previous post a little more detail is I feel in order. Things started off ok, checked license then wanted to look at the rifle so I open the case thats when it took a turn for the worst. Oh you havnt removed the bolt, and the magazine is still on, I explain its an sks semiauto, the bolt is a little hard to remove, and the magazine is fixed, it dont come off. Whats the orange thing? its a chamber flag they show its not loaded. So you carry it loaded sometimes do you? Only when Im hunting not otherwise.
    Well its a mssa and you dont have an endorsement for that, I try explaining that it is a cat but get told to shut up and step away from the car. He takes the rifle over to a patrol car and talks to the guy inside, there is some arm waving and finger pointing in my direction then the driver gets out. He opens the case, lifts the rifle out drops the mag open looks at it, closes it back, up shoulders the thing then puts it back in the case and wanders over alone. Hands me it back apologises about the other guys behaviour (not always the highest calibre personell on daytime booze bus checkpoints) and talks guns for a bit wanted to know what i thought of the sparc and how the days shooting had been. Left feeling a lot better but still think of what could have happened and how long it would have taken to sort it out.
    So he knows that MSSAs exist (but not much more detail than that), but not what a chamber flag is? Huh?
    veitnamcam and timattalon like this.

Well that sounds fun. I'd be making a careful mental note of badge number (not asking him, don't want to piss him off even more) and then ringing the local arms officer the next day and just having a general chat with them about the situation. If one of the local bobbies isn't clear on firearms law that's not great and they probably need to know to stop further incidents from happening and potentially escalating. Regardless if I'm in the right or not I've never really wanted to be the guy who ends up in a cell or having the AOS called out because of a case of mistaken identity or ignorance.I'm not meaning ringing up the arms officer and giving him a bollacking but more just a "hey ah, just wanted to clarify a situation I ran into yesterday, had my A cat SKS in the car in the case, barrel flag, regular traffic stop, they saw the case etc, what's the story here, I was under the impression that was the legit way of doing things, this guy thinks otherwise." That's just me though. Also this kind of thing is the reason why I lock my cases whenever there is a rifle in them, just making it even more obvious that I'm not a numpty. Good that the other guy was there to slap his car mate around the head.

Quote Originally Posted by Kscott View Post
    Sorry my bad, I mis-read your post. I blame old age.
    Hahaha not to worry! I don't have that as I am not "old" lol!
    Kscott likes this.

Why would you take the bolt out? What a cock. Bet he felt butt hurt when his little power trip fell over.

just another case of some young , not too long out of Police Training cunstable, who hasnt had time for the brainwashing to wear off and common sense thinking to reemerge.

Quote Originally Posted by Beavis View Post
    Why would you take the bolt out? What a cock. Bet he felt butt hurt when his little power trip fell over.
    I too didn't think the law required you to have the bolt and magazine removed from the rifle.
    Just that the magazine cannot be load, regardless of whether it is in the rifle or not.

Section 32.1.A of the arms act has some reference to restricted weapons (pistols and MSSAs) being inoperable by removal of vital part.
    I have trigger locks or cables through the receiver on my MSSAs.
    AR15 BCGs/bolts/firing pins are dime a dozen these days, so removing it to dissuade theft is f**king pointless, more so to reduce likely hood of immediate non permitted use.
    Welcome to Sako club.

I thought that section only applied to storage? I've never seen anything in the act about transportation. Road laws cover not having a loaded mag I'm a vehicle.
    gadgetman likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Beavis View Post
    I thought that section only applied to storage? I've never seen anything in the act about transportation. Road laws cover not having a loaded mag I'm a vehicle.
    +1

But a little extra security never goes amiss.
    R93 likes this.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

32.1.A does, but 32.1.B seems vague enough to mean more than just in storage, ie 'possession'.
    Either way, carriage of an A-Cat SKS isn't guided by section 32.
    Welcome to Sako club.