Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: A class Thumbhole stocks , what do you prefer

I just cold blued mine.
    Welcome to Sako club.

Received my Windham SRC last week, it has been fitted with one of these: AR-15 Tac Carbon Systems A Cat Stock | Trade Me

I fucking hate it. Grip slopes too much, making it hard to hit mag release and safety, and it's a little too chunky for my liking, stock may suit something you shoot off a bench better.

The rifle was originally fitted with a commercial-spec buffer tube, trying to figure out what's on there now underneath this things so I can buy something else. Will probably end up importing a mil-spec carbine buffer tube, not keen on an ATI anything which is all that seems to be around here.

Actually are all tube internal diameters the same? If buffers etc are all the same I could just buy the tube itself.

Buffers are all the same (diameter - carbine and rifle buffers are different lengths/weights and don't interchange without changing tubes and springs). that stock is the biggest piece of shit there is. Except maybe the $650 carbon fibre one that doesn't even come with a buttplate

It will be an A2 tube, which is longer than a carbine tube. You dont want to use your rifle length buffer in a carbine length tube, which is what i think you are implying you want to do. If you think about it hard enough you will figure out why...

Quote Originally Posted by Towely View Post
    Dissapointed in the looks department? Are you one of those mirror commandos or are you going to actually go out and shoot the damn thing!?
    Dude you questioned my credibility you know nothing about me same ad I about you but your comment here makes you look like you have f all It looks bad it felt bad delivery was 8 or so weeks late with no correspondence unless you went looking for it . Folks make their opinions based on how they are treated ,how product looks ( this looks nothing like advertising pics ). Sorry but it's crap bro and no I don't take a mirror with me either and suspect neither does Grue. Fitted it and it just did n t do any thing for me plus the rubber thing fell off easily
    "This is my Flag... Ill only have the one ..

Quote Originally Posted by Beavis View Post
    I think they did a much better job with the stocks than they did with the mags
    be hard to be worse than the mags since they're basically non-functional in every gun I've tried them in, for the first gen
    Towely likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by gimp View Post
    Buffers are all the same. that stock is the biggest piece of shit there is. Except maybe the $650 carbon fibre one that doesn't even come with a buttplate
    Good to know about the buffers for future shenanigans. The fit and the build of the stock seem ok don't get me wrong, but it comes across like the person that designed it never bothered to pick up and use the rifle once they'd fitted this stock.

Quote Originally Posted by Towely View Post
    It will be an A2 tube, which is longer than a carbine tube. You dont want to use your rifle length buffer in a carbine length tube, which is what i think you are implying you want to do. If you think about it hard enough you will figure out why...
    So you're saying that this stock will have an A2 tube+buffer+spring+whatever else goes in there under it, instead of the carbine setup it had when it left the factory? Which comes across to me as a less than ideal situation.

see my edit re: buffers above

rifle/carbine systems will function equally reliably - rifle systems have a softer spring though and spread the impulse of the reciprocating mass of the bcg and buffer over longer time so are "softer" shooting. but don't work with a carbine stock obviously.

Yeah I'm just deciding whether or not I should be upset that it's been changed by the importer to something other than a factory equivalent. I mean I can get a rifle length mil-spec stock if that's what matches the installed it's not a big deal, it's whether this new tube will adversely affect performance. I'm also looking at a suppressor in the near future, is a rifle length tube gonna matter much? 16 inch barrel, carbine gas system.

I have to agree with AzumitH, this looks errrr....

An old motorsport saying is "Its not how good you race, but its how good you look racing..."

To me our pride & joys (thats our guns, not our kids), should be both functional and look good, but no doubt for many its also a tool, so functional is all it needs to be.

Name:  299937729.jpg
Views: 435
Size:  11.1 KB

Oh, i just had a good look at my 'lug' and do apologize to GC but they did actually chop most of the bits off the lug and cold-blued it.
    So now its just a blob below the gas block...
    Last edited by grunzter; 23-03-2014 at 09:06 AM.

Personally I think Spearmags does a functional job at good price. It has forced the others to reduce their exorbitant prices to compete. Does the job as advertised and aesthetically OK.

Good on them. Can comment on their Mags as don't have any but they have always been excellent to deal with.
    dogmatix likes this.
    All those with dogs waiting no longer fear death. Those with many dogs waiting even welcome it in it's time.

Quote Originally Posted by mikee View Post
    Personally I think Spearmags does a functional job at good price. It has forced the others to reduce their exorbitant prices to compete. Does the job as advertised and aesthetically OK.

Good on them. Can comment on their Mags as don't have any but they have always been excellent to deal with.
    I have 3 of their 30 round gen 1 mags and have had no trouble with them running in my NEA15. The only thing that is really a non issue is that when inserting a empty mag then cocking the action sometimes the bolt hold open isn't tripped but when firing live rounds it has always held the bolt back on the last round. I think I was the first NZ customer to receive the first run of the spear mags, and on my next purchase I received a free 30 rounder for my patience. Thanks for that Terry @ spear mags.
    mikee likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by AzumitH View Post
    Yeah I'm just deciding whether or not I should be upset that it's been changed by the importer to something other than a factory equivalent. I mean I can get a rifle length mil-spec stock if that's what matches the installed it's not a big deal, it's whether this new tube will adversely affect performance. I'm also looking at a suppressor in the near future, is a rifle length tube gonna matter much? 16 inch barrel, carbine gas system.

nah a rifle or carbine length buffer system will be equally reliable. There's no option for a carbine buffer system with a thumbhole stock.

Quote Originally Posted by mikee View Post

It's great to have a NZ business forcing competition. They have a busy design team with more products on the way.