Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Like Tree136Likes

Thread: Classy lightweight takedown

Bergara takedown in 300 Blackuot on trade me now. Reasonable price.
    I have just picked up a Bergara Ba13 non takedown in 223 today.

Quote Originally Posted by TLB View Post
    Another option could be something like a Ruger American Compact. Mine with the suppressor off fits inside my pack, could even cut it another couple of inches shorter so the suppressor comes back to the stock. Certainly a lot more accurate than both the single shot break downs I have owned.
    I has a Ruger Compact in .223 a few years ago. It was very light and handy but lively to say the least. Even with a suppressor on. Either it didn't fit me or something but I never could get it to group very well. The stock was akin to wet pasta in terms of flexibility. That may not have helped matters.

Buy 223nuts single shot.
    Every machine is a smoke machine,
    If you use it wrong enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe_90 View Post

Buy 223nuts single shot.
    Too late it's mine now

res
    Have tried a few takedowns for hunting from a pushbike, TC contender was the single shot I found best.
    Using Tapatalk

I would think that for a pack rifle you are looking for light weight and compact? Most of the single shots available are unfortunately quite heavy. Or very heavy! IMO that stops them being what you needed to start with. Unless they are seriously modified. I looked at a modified Thomson that was really light and a wee cracker. The Scott Trail rifles are incredible and IMO easily the best for this type of need. I would suggest that you could also just get what you want and then over time gradually modify and lighten it. I would tend to use a 223 with something like Federal fusion over a pistol calibre. They are not too flash on deer and limited in range. The 7.62x39 is another top performer. Interestingly Scott first built his design using the blackout shooting supers and went to the 7.62x39 after being less than impressed with the Blackouts killing performance. He reckoned the x39 was a big step up. I know others who have found the same. I think with single shots you are still able to use an AR stock? I have wondered about using aluminium tubing for the stock. I reckon building a rifle to do this job is a really fun project idea. Enjoy and report back.

Full custom build. His own action. He was making a similar version in 308 as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Hiawatha View Post
    I would think that for a pack rifle you are looking for light weight and compact? Most of the single shots available are unfortunately quite heavy. Or very heavy! IMO that stops them being what you needed to start with. Unless they are seriously modified. I looked at a modified Thomson that was really light and a wee cracker. The Scott Trail rifles are incredible and IMO easily the best for this type of need. I would suggest that you could also just get what you want and then over time gradually modify and lighten it. I would tend to use a 223 with something like Federal fusion over a pistol calibre. They are not too flash on deer and limited in range. The 7.62x39 is another top performer. Interestingly Scott first built his design using the blackout shooting supers and went to the 7.62x39 after being less than impressed with the Blackouts killing performance. He reckoned the x39 was a big step up. I know others who have found the same. I think with single shots you are still able to use an AR stock? I have wondered about using aluminium tubing for the stock. I reckon building a rifle to do this job is a really fun project idea. Enjoy and report back.
    I would add that the one of these I was able to use at the range was very accurate and easy to shoot. They are a very nice piece of kit.

This might be off breif, especially if your wedded to a concealable rifle. I rate the winchester 94. Love mine. Straps onto the back nicely. Slim, sleek, handle like a dream, light enough. They make a saddle carbine in 16inch I think. 30 30 is a great cartridge out to 150. Failing that. Maybe a blr takedown in 308. I had a baikal, ugly things but shot well for what it was.

I’ve owned two or three 94’s. The only thing that beats them for compactness and weight/balance in the hand is a 92, and I’ve owned six of them (from memory). Will probably buy another.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    More meplat, more better.

Nah man. I reckon save your pennies and get what you actually want (a '92). It'll never happen if you don't take any action towards making it happen. Every penny adds up! Life's short.

In the meantime, for utilities sake, why not buy a cheap and cheerful Baikal (perhaps refinish the stock) or Bergara B13, and let that keep you busy until you can get your hands on a '92?
    dannyb likes this.

i hate to put a damper on the subject but you are not allowed to fire a rifle off a track

Always preferred the Marlin 336's over the winchester 92 and 94 for the simple reason that the 336 is wayyyy easier to clean. Hunted with a 94 for 3 years then got tired of having to clean the moisture out of it and the fiddly little parts. Somehow I always end up in the rain though, so might be a different experience for others

Seeing as it's a backpack gun, go with something like a baikal or handi rifle, cut it down 10cm over minimum length to keep some sight radius or need to recrown, slap some iron sights on it and call it done. No need to worry about whether the scope got a bump in the pack, no bulk to contend with, easy and simple. 30-30 is a great cartridge for under 100m - not bulky, minimal recoil and sound, suitable for deer etc with a 150-170gr projectile and works well in a short barrel. I love fancy guns, but there's a lot to be said for a work-horse of a gun that will take unlimited abuse and you don't worry about scrabbling across rocks with.
    timattalon likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Frodo View Post
    Nah man. I reckon save your pennies and get what you actually want (a '92). It'll never happen if you don't take any action towards making it happen. Every penny adds up! Life's short.

In the meantime, for utilities sake, why not buy a cheap and cheerful Baikal (perhaps refinish the stock) or Bergara B13, and let that keep you busy until you can get your hands on a '92?
    Yeah, think I’ll hold out for a Rossi 92. I’ve owned four Winchester 92’s, all pre-WW1, and felt like a criminal taking them bush. If a Rossi gets a few dings no one will lynch me. Until then I’ll just have to use the Vixen.
    Frodo likes this.
    More meplat, more better.

Im sure Hayes and Associates could get you one of these
    https://www.fair.it/en/products/rifl.../kipplauf/k500
    Name:  K500.jpg
Views: 911
Size:  76.1 KB
    Micky Duck likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by canross View Post
    Always preferred the Marlin 336's over the winchester 92 and 94 for the simple reason that the 336 is wayyyy easier to clean. Hunted with a 94 for 3 years then got tired of having to clean the moisture out of it and the fiddly little parts. Somehow I always end up in the rain though, so might be a different experience for others

Seeing as it's a backpack gun, go with something like a baikal or handi rifle, cut it down 10cm over minimum length to keep some sight radius or need to recrown, slap some iron sights on it and call it done. No need to worry about whether the scope got a bump in the pack, no bulk to contend with, easy and simple. 30-30 is a great cartridge for under 100m - not bulky, minimal recoil and sound, suitable for deer etc with a 150-170gr projectile and works well in a short barrel. I love fancy guns, but there's a lot to be said for a work-horse of a gun that will take unlimited abuse and you don't worry about scrabbling across rocks with.
    I can understand the 336 vs 94 in full size calibres but the 92 is a different creature in my books. Its the winner in light and slimline, being built for pistol cartridges.
    canross and tanqueray like this.