Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: cleaning bore/copper/blue?

Thanks guys !
    Tahr bound do u put patch over brush?

I've always wanted some boretech , but the smallest bottle I've seen was $75?

Shooter Nz . Yep been using bore guide for decades.

Yep I could not see visually any improvement on the patches using mpro. Seemed to not do bugger all.

At least the Barnes smells potent.

I'm gonna look for some bore tech elim

Bore tech too from Julian tahr?

Fulla
    look across the muzzle to see the copper and get an idea of how much is in the bore, use a torch if you have to. (across, not down the muzzle) you may need to remove the powder fouling to see it.

Ok I'll try that bully. Thanks! I use carbon cleaner first to get rid of the blackness before doing the copper thing

Fulla
    Quote Originally Posted by ANTSMAN View Post
    Thanks guys !
    Tahr bound do u put patch over brush?

I've always wanted some boretech , but the smallest bottle I've seen was $75?

Shooter Nz . Yep been using bore guide for decades.

Yep I could not see visually any improvement on the patches using mpro. Seemed to not do bugger all.

At least the Barnes smells potent.

I'm gonna look for some bore tech elim
    iv tried boretech as well. barnes or an ammonia based product still works better, well I think.

Where can u buy alloy/plastic brushes?
    Anyone in Chch sell Barnes cr10??
    Proshot make them, NZ Ammo are the agents. Your local shop should be able to get them.

K95
    I don't think Julian has bore tech. Make sure if you're getting nylon brushes they don't have a brass centre. Tipton do a stainless/nylon brush that Julian has I think. I just put the patch over top of the brush and soak each one. Seems to take most of the copper out within 4 patches.
    I only clean the copper out once accuracy gets erratic, it often takes my rifle a dozen or so shots to get back to its accuracy after cleaning it right out. I only push a patch of crc through the barrel usually. Works for me.

Matty do you realise how hard stainless steel is and how soft a bronze brush is? Surely you'll shoot the barrel smooth before your brushes will wear down the rifling.....
    Logically, yes, I know.

However, no matter how much copper solvent I use, or how long I let it soak, after putting a couple of patches through it's all clean. No more green, no more black. I look down the barrel and it is shiny clean with not a hint of anything except stainless steel, and it still shoots 1/2 inch groups at 100m.

So what i'm having trouble understanding is why I would want to scrub it out with a metal brush...?

I'm new to shooting/hunting, but I have a fairly cynical view on all of the cleaning products used. There is a lot of money to be made there, and how much of it is necessary i'm not sure. For example, the people talking about endlessly removing copper fouling when using copper brushes. Hmmmmmmmmm, I wonder....

For those of you who are brush fanatics - do you go both ways? Scrub up and down inside the barrel? Some people say that you should only ever push it through from one side and remove the brush as it comes out of the barrel at the other end, then repeat, etc.

Fulla
    I look down the barrel and it is shiny clean with not a hint of anything except stainless steel.

they always do. look across the muzzle for a better idea if you don't have access to a bore scope.

When I take the bolt out and look down the barrel before I clean it, I can tell when it's dirty. You can see the buildup.

I guess I am just wondering how hard people scrub and if they only go one way, or just scrub both ways in and out.

Boretech has been the most reliable in getting copper out, just keep pushing patches until they come clean, no need for bushes.

Best way I have found to see copper is bright sun behind you bolt out of course and angle barrel so you can see in about a inch and the sun getting in about a inch,like dogs balls
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

The KG copper remover is about the fastest I have used, it's really aggressive. However, I still find myself reaching for the Eliminator bottle.

"Amazingly enough, that's not a copper solvent???" the MPro-7 bottle i have says copper solvent. THERE WERE 2 OTHER MPRO7 TYPES THERE, ONE A LUBE AND ONE A PROTECTANT, ALL THE BOTTLES LOOKED VERY SIMILAR... bloody caps lock