Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By zeropak
  • 1 Post By Marty Henry
  • 1 Post By andyanimal31
  • 1 Post By sneeze
  • 2 Post By Marty Henry

Thread: Clip on thermal

Clip on thermal

I m thinking of buying a clip on thermal I already use a hand held pulsar but thinking about a clip on as well.
    I’m just after pros and cons and what brands you are using and recommendations

Quote Originally Posted by Farmer View Post
    I m thinking of buying a clip on thermal I already use a hand held pulsar but thinking about a clip on as well.
    I’m just after pros and cons and what brands you are using and recommendations
    Take a good look at the Pard 007sp. I have both the earlier S model and now the SP with the range finder. They have proven to be reliable and a good performer. I mainly shoot in more open country and at ranges between 50m and 300m. The IR light on them is fantastic, it is a genuine laser illuminator and not just an LED. The S and the SP have a much shorter body than the earlier models which means they can still be used without having to put on a butt plate extender. I think the rear add on is a better option that the front mount versions because they do not affect the point of aim like the front mount, You can also crank up the magnification on the scope and still see all the menu etc. I have now done quite a lot of hunting with the Pard, I use it in conjuction with a thermal spotter. after trying several different combos I have settled in this as the best, at least for me. happy to talk to you in more detail if you want.
    camenzie likes this.
    ZeroPak Vacuum Sealers, Zero air Zero waste

I trialled one there are several quirks with these which ken advised me of.
    Use it in a scope with as low magnification as possible ideally 1 or 2x, you are looking at a screen image and enlarging that so it gets grainy very quickly even with a 12 micron detector. It was acceptable at 3x much like an early 25 micron thermal but anything more and it's fuzzy blobs and the lines of the screen. Also you are onky enlarging part of the screen at higher magnification so you can't see the menus
    Mounting, again you are looking at a flat screen, if it's optical centre is canted slightly off the bore axis you won't notice through the scope. I did repeated detach and reattach tests and there was a shift in poi of between .5 and 1.5 mils each time it was refitted and this was in a random circle. I believe this can occur with all makes and depends on the design of the adapter and lock rings as much as operator skill and may or may not be an issue for you if shooting at big things up close.
    Overall I was impressed with it as a handheld as it beat my pulsar xq28f hands down but as a scope not so much.
    I endorse zeropacks comments on the nv clip ons they retain a lot more of your scopes performance.
    Last edited by Marty Henry; 25-04-2023 at 10:39 AM.
    55six likes this.

Or just by a pard thermal scope with the quick detach rings. The range finder and ballistic solution are out the gate!
    We have tested point of impact shift at 200m and no discernable on the small steel plate.
    5 times with same result.
    Just need quick detach for your day optic but done a couple now.
    The pard 007 series are bloody good.
    Pretty tempted to upgrade to the rf model.
    I have shot deer out to 400m with mine and can place my shot.
    Pm me if interested in any andcan talk you through.
    Sent from my SM-A226B using Tapatalk
    Nathan F likes this.
    My favorite sentences i like to hear are - I suppose so. and Send It!

Iv been told the newer 007s are far better than the earlier 007s from someone with one of the new ones

Very successfully uses it on his vx6

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Iv had an infiray CH50v2 for a good while now. Display is 1024x768 oled , Sensor has very good resolution 640x512, and a 50mm objective helps . CR123 batteries or with an extender 2x 16650. The Infiray clip that it came with is at best agricultural, I didn't use it and went to a smart clip from Slovenia. The rusan clip is also very good, a Mate has one on his. They are very repeatable when attached but there's a learning curve. Rusan have a few vids demonstrating repeatability. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ykI3rj0qMI8
    The V2 is claimed to be useable up to 9x on your day scope, you can, but the image is very pixelated, you can identify animals ok but they look like they are made out of lego. I dont use much over 5x on the day scope with 2x digital on the thermal if I need it. I can swap between rifles by switching profiles in a few seconds, it has 4 available. Its small, light, great image quality, and I dont have to disturb my day scope which I have a long term dislike of doing. Its a teriffic bit of gear but coupled with the handheld FH25r with a built in range finder it makes killing things a bit boring to be honest, I use it for wallabies, meat gathering etc but leave it behind when hunting.

Name:  354F42CF-6FAD-4D99-AF75-5BA8CFF7A61B.JPG
Views: 260
Size:  1.64 MB

Name:  IMG_1907.jpg
Views: 261
Size:  878.8 KB
    Bill999 likes this.
    "You'll never find a rainbow if you're looking down" Charlie Chaplin

I trust the estwing isn't used for anything but fine ajustment😁
    sneeze and kukuwai like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Marty Henry View Post
    I trust the estwing isn't used for anything but fine ajustment��