Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree36Likes

Thread: Custom Rifles what do you think?

Caretaker
    Quote Originally Posted by hunter308 View Post
    270!!!!!!!!
    Which gives you the perfect bolt face for a 7mm08 barrel
    A big fast bullet beats a little fast bullet every time

Quote Originally Posted by camo wsm View Post
    I guess a lot of the custom rifle builds may be for medium to longer range setups, and
    For bush hunting there may be no real world benefit,
    Just comes down to what you want out of your rifle and going
    Custom just gives you the option of a heap of different calibres
    Stock options etc.
    Agreed, although in a sense, bush rifles are probably the most customised things out there. They are chopped and canned and customised. Guess they just arent a ground up thing.
    End of the day, it is your money and spend it how you see fit. I like the idea of putting a rifle together that suits both my needs and wants. Some like a good qual of the shelf bit of kit. Good arguments to be had either way.
    TJ if you really loved the sako, then look at another one. If you want to dip your toes in the water with a custom, you dont have to go ground up build. You can buy somthing of the shelf and re-chamber/stock/whatever as you please

Custom rifles are an overpriced hassle that go wrong more often than not and only offer a purely academic or imaginary practical advantage over a decent factory rifle, with pathetic resale, gunsmiths fuck things up all the time, doubt I'll touch another one, get a finnlight and shoot shit
    K95, kiwijames, Freezer and 3 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by 7mmsaum View Post
    Which gives you the perfect bolt face for a 7mm08 barrel
    And recut to 284win
    RULE 4: IDENTIFY YOUR TARGET BEYOND ALL DOUBT

To be a Human is to be an Alien, ask the animals, We invade this world and we are killing it, we are destroying the earth and nobody gives a fuck except for the animals

Caretaker
    Quote Originally Posted by hunter308 View Post
    And recut to 284win
    Hahahahaha

Why make a weak rem mag
    A big fast bullet beats a little fast bullet every time

Quote Originally Posted by 7mmsaum View Post
    Hahahahaha

Why make a weak rem mag
    You did say the 270 was a perfect bolt face for a 7mm08 barrel and 284 came to mind no need to open up bolt face
    RULE 4: IDENTIFY YOUR TARGET BEYOND ALL DOUBT

To be a Human is to be an Alien, ask the animals, We invade this world and we are killing it, we are destroying the earth and nobody gives a fuck except for the animals

TJM
    Sold it to finance some work equipment and a new game rod set up.. Weather for game fishing packed up and now my mate wants to head back into the hills now easter is over. I've seen some ads for the likes of Hardy engineering custom rifles so put the feelers out for other hunters feelings on them.The Sako did everything I wanted, accurate, light, etc etc. i liked my old hunter but not much cheaper at the end of the day and a bit more maintenance ( wooden stock and steel barrel) If any one has one of these in good condition in 243 let me know if they are keen to part with it.

sako are doing the 85 hunter which comes in stainless too that might be a good combo to consider.

from what ive read here the hardy rifles seem to have had a few teething problems, im not too sure whether I would buy one just yet
    #BallisticFists

TJM
    Thanks for the info

sakos are great, kimbers are too
    I think there is a pride aspect that comes with a rifle that you picked out the pieces for, but that comes at a cost
    I really like my kimber

Applies Lead Liberally rogers.270's Avatar
    love my terminator .338 norma!!!
    kokako and mikee like this.
    Addicted to gun powder

first thing to consider...do you want an outdated 40yr old design that uses a 90 degree bolt lift that only just clears you new 30mm scope with a large eyepiece?

Thats what nearly all the custom hunting actions are based on! Think Dan Hardies may be less than 90, but its not 70.

The Forbs is als 90 and being a 3/4 size action I suspect the will be even less clearance to scope.

IF you want a modern action with a 60-70 deg bolt lift get a Sako, Tikka, A-Bolt , Sauer or Mauser

Custom rifle.
    I have a custom .260 kimber, I bought it from the builder who wanted it gone, after the fellow who ordered it couldn't pay.
    started life as a kimber Montana .243,
    rebore to .260, Mpi ultra light stock, stock weight 15-16oz, trued, treated, polished etc. blind mag, 22" barrel, Came with a leupold 2x7x33 VX2 stainless,
    All up weight 5.2lbs, with 4 rounds,
    Its real light, was a bugger to get dialed in, skinny barrel, kicks like hell. well under 1" with hand loads, 120 Bt, 125gr partions. 130 tsx.
    Cost $3800
    This rifle is coming to NZ,

also just bought a sako finlight used (last year model) .260, with 500 pojectials, (100) 120 Bt, (100)127gr barns, (100)125gr partion, and (200)130gr hornardy match, plus 120 lapau brass, Cost $1850.

The kimber is twice the cost,
    accuracy, they are the same, the only advantage is in weight saving, I was at the time thinking about getting a ultra light arms, done in .260 or .284, I find that the kimber lightweight, is a bit different to shoot off hand, I shoot much more instinctive, like a shot gun, up and bang.
    A 7-7.5 lb all up rifle is in my view, about the right weight, for all round shooting and handling.

In short, I like to carry the custom kimber, but my other rifle choices, sako finlight in .260 & 2506, and a couple M70 in 7x57, and .264 are much better to shoot. And for the most part have better quality glass,
    Won't bother with getting another custom hunting rifle built, at least not a light weight, may mod one of the 7x57 or the sako .260 for bush work,
    The exception is for a Dokata, takedown in 300 H&H as my present, to me, for paying off the mortage and business. then I am going to Africa.

I d take the Dakota in 375 h&h ;-)
    I have visited their workshop twice.
    I was really impressed by the lady doing their stock checkering. She made it look so easy!( it's not!)

Hi guys, obviously new to this forum but from time to time I have looked in. I have been out of the scene for a few years but just recently got back into it. I saw this thread and thought I might comment on it.

A few years back I had Hardy rifles put together a full custom 7mm WSM for the bush. That said I wanted to be able to shoot in the open as well so some compromises were made. From a 20” barrel I’m getting a 162 out at 2930fps consistently into a .25 moa group. Sadly it’s been competing for attention lately with a couple of other rifles so it’s only been out twice and drawn blood. I love this setup! It’s reasonable to carry with the Hunters edge stock and a NF 3.5-15 mounted on top with a custom suppresser. All up it weighs 4.5kg I was hoping it might be less but I’m not willing to compromise either. I just sold one rifle so my cabinet is down to 5. All but one has been customized. I have only had one problem rifle which I spent way too much on only to give up and dismantle. Recently Tom at Dead eye Dicks did a full work up on a 6 x 47 Rem 700 for me and I’m very impressed. He also fitted a Terminator brake to my long range 7mm WSM. I used both in the weekend culling goats to great effect.

It is unfortunate when gunsmiths get things wrong and I’m surprised that so many have commented negatively here. I agree though that the primary advantage for a custom is long range so if you are 3-400y shooting there is little point.