Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By zimmer
  • 1 Post By Micky Duck
  • 2 Post By garyp
  • 1 Post By Makros
  • 1 Post By Makros

Thread: Dissemble BSA Majestic bolt

Dissemble BSA Majestic bolt

I am getting some misfires in minus temperatures. Light primer strikes. I am picking the ancient gunk of oil and grease inside my bolt is slowing the fireing pin enough to cause this because of the cold temps.
    (I already loaded some primers into cases and tested them at home and they went fine.)

For the life of me I cant rememebr how to get the bolt shroud off. I have a vague memory of doing something with the safety catch first.

JohnDuxbury likes this.

perfect. done it thanks!

soak whole shebang in icecream tub of petrol...seems to sort out most of them sort of issues....lawn mower will still digest it afterwards too LOL.
    Preacher likes this.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

I do the same with degreaser and a good blow out with air. Bit lazy but it works

This is how I do it. Put a short screwdriver in a vice with the end upwards. Hold the cocking piece against the blade and pull sideways until you can then unscrew the front of the bolt. By the way I have a few BSA parts here including a firing pin.
    Micky Duck and BSA270 like this.

Love the BSA bolts where one accidental move and the safety pops back off and your then struggling to push the firing pin back far enough to re-engage the safety! Fun...
    They are intolerant of grease and dirt in the firing spring. Will result in light primer strikes.
    JohnDuxbury likes this.

what Makros said above - I have now gone and done exactly that. Only the striker wont come back enough to fiddle the safety back into position....

With the firingpin and bolt shroud unscrewed out of the bolt, I touched the safety on the bolt shroud and the striker decocked. Now I cant get the striker to push back for enough to cock, so I cant screw the it all back into the bolt body. The striker is blocked by something, possibly the little brass cocking indicator; it will only come back a 1/4 of an inch.

There must be a trick to this.

I swear to god I am going to mortgage the children or something and buy a Sako 90 and be done with old rifles.

All I can say is, it's a very strong spring. I found putting the sear on a hard metal surface and then using my body weight to push the sear back gets it done. I expect this done imprudently could damage the sear.
    woods223 likes this.