Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Double Rifle?

Double Rifle?

Hey guys

Found this listing on trademe - Old Double Barrell Shotgun | Trade Me

Was wondering if it is correct and its a shotgun thats been somehow sleeved or if this bloke doesn't know what he has and its actually a double rifle?

Any thoughts?

Cheers

Tread carefully in the suck... ishoot10s's Avatar
    Pity his photos are crap. If it's a conversion, they've gone to a lot of trouble with the sights and all, but he reckons there's no rifling? Don't know, maybe some early .500NE and similar were smooth since they were often only used at 50 yards or so on the big stuff.

Ray.
    10MRT shooters do it 60 times, in two directions and at two speeds.

.410 shotgun?

Random!

Haha, Tussock, I hadn't even noticed that! You probably right Ray, I thing its an old black powder smooth bore, no good for what I want.
    "Here's the deal I'm the best there is. Plain and simple. I wake up in the morning and I piss excellence."

Yeah will definately give that one a miss, looks full of rust too! Yeah a 45-70 is a bit light for what I want, looking at a cape buff hunt in 2014 so looking for a DG rifle, not necessarily a double but would be nice!
    "Here's the deal I'm the best there is. Plain and simple. I wake up in the morning and I piss excellence."

Double Rifle?

If I may, I'd suggest you rather get n 375 cz or similar with a 1-5x6 scope. Shoot it lots and make sure you can place your 1st shot perfectly.

I love my double, but its a stopping rifle and not as accurate as a bolt with a scope, especially for the 1st shot - which is the one that counts.

Yeah looking at the CZ 550 and the Ruger African for around $2k, also been weighing up the option of a Howa .375 ruger barreled action but parts and gunsmithing may add up to more than the other 2, was looking at the Nai gun more out of interest as it was something I stumbled onto while looking for double rifles, would never consider using it on buff(unless it turned out to be a Purdey chambered in 470NE!) Haha! Was more wondering what I could sell it for to a collector.

Pity you don't have a Blaser R93 (or do you?), I'd gladly lend my R93 magnaported .416 Rem Mag barrel and a box of factory Remington ammo with 400 grain Barnes X solids. I'm done with it, got my Asian Buff...

Ray.

Cheers for that Ray, unfortunately not, would love one though! Sold my Brno .375 when I left SA thinking I would never need it over here and now kicking myself.

Well, to be honest, unless you were going after scrubbies, you probably wouldn't need it here so you could be excused for that thought. But we're handy to Aussie, and their Northern Territory has plenty of Scrubbies, Buff and Bentang. Well worth a trip if you can be bothered jumping through all the hoops to be able to take your own guns and hunt there.

Ray.