Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Fake Leupold scopes

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi Greg View Post
    When I put the factory VZ nose & bonnet on my 05 Monaro in 06, I was really impressed to see "made in China" on the factory hi intensity fog lights

That front cost a fair bit & was "restricted parts" in those days...
    Don't get that with ford

I have 1 of these Mark 4 scopes ,just been looking at the link P38 posted .The things they say to look for in most cases aren't on this scope. The Leupold medallion is on the yardage adjuster ,no sign of a brass spacer in objective lens. Most of the etch on base ins white not silver. Maybe a better quality fake perhaps ,though cost considerably more than $57 and was US $$$ I paid .
    The thing I had in mind when I brought it was the standard mark up on most if not all sporting goods brought into NZ is 400-500 % .That's how these sports shops make money in most instances.
    Thanks to P38 I now know how the dials work but fake or not it will probably still be fitted to a flatter shooting rifle for distance shooting providing it holds zero .
    Gun control means using both hands

Caretaker
    Can you post up some pics of it please Chris ???
    A big fast bullet beats a little fast bullet every time

P38
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    I have 1 of these Mark 4 scopes ,just been looking at the link P38 posted .The things they say to look for in most cases aren't on this scope. The Leupold medallion is on the yardage adjuster ,no sign of a brass spacer in objective lens. Most of the etch on base ins white not silver. Maybe a better quality fake perhaps ,though cost considerably more than $57 and was US $$$ I paid .
    The thing I had in mind when I brought it was the standard mark up on most if not all sporting goods brought into NZ is 400-500 % .That's how these sports shops make money in most instances.
    Thanks to P38 I now know how the dials work but fake or not it will probably still be fitted to a flatter shooting rifle for distance shooting providing it holds zero .
    Chris

The only way to really be sure if your Leupold is Fair Dinkum or not is to call Leupold with the serial number.

They will confirm the authenticity of the scope, or not as the case may be.

Buying a Fake is ok IMO ..... But only if you know that up front and it is priced accordingly, anything else is a Fraud.

Cheers
    Pete

Quote Originally Posted by P38 View Post
    The Chinese are very good manufacturers ..... You only have to look at anything, actually everything manufactured in the world today and the chances are it was sourced from China or built on machines sourced from China.

Truth be known .... those "chinks" as you say are probally making the Leupolds, assembling them, and shipping them for Leupold.

Interesting too that Leupold doesn't own it's copyright in China..... someone else does.

Cheers
    Pete
    Err we talking rip off here. Good Bad Chinese I agree sell lots of good Chinese, example try SKF bearings ex china yeah right

Check the serial number out to be certain. Have had customers bring in scopes to get sent off for warranty work only to find that they were fakes and they looked really really good on the outside at least.

And 500% mark up ?????????? Thats why all the sport shop owners and staff are driving around in bentlys ( yeah right )
    199p likes this.

Banned
    bang on there mate were dose that figure come from im getting a loupy scope for 200 less than what there sold for at no freight and cost so is 900 for a 1100 dollar scope 500% mark up?????????.

Quote Originally Posted by Clint Ruin View Post
    Check the serial number out to be certain. Have had customers bring in scopes to get sent off for warranty work only to find that they were fakes and they looked really really good on the outside at least.

And 500% mark up ?????????? Thats why all the sport shop owners and staff are driving around in bentlys ( yeah right )
    Happens with parallel import power tools as well trying to claim warranty on genuine imports. What model Bently you got?

Quote Originally Posted by 7mmsaum View Post
    Can you post up some pics of it please Chris ???

A corolla model !

These looked like the real thing but were not the real thing. serial numbers didnt exist and were very different internally to the real thing. Thats what we got told by the NZ agents.

I figure if its genuine it shouldn't fog ,should hold zero & won't need any thing done under warranty .
    Just like the previous Leupold scopes I've owned. As long as it does the job who gives a rats arse any how.

Er. You may not want to look at this .

Leupold Mark 4.5 14X50E Mil dot Illuminated Riflescopes Rifle Scope Hunting Scope with Mounts-in Riflescopes from Sports & Entertainment on Aliexpress.com

Just doing a bit of reading it appears that the counterfeiters have started using real serial numbers and adding some of the missing details onto the scopes.

One picture shows the std 88888c number while another shows a different number again and that same number is used on another scope in a different add on that same site.

The makers who spend a lot of money making a brand that is respected enough to have fakes using their reputation care a fair bit about it.
    Last edited by Clint Ruin; 05-03-2013 at 08:39 PM.

Come and see the real come and see the real thing come and see. Am I the real thing?

Certainly cheaper than the $300+US I paid 3 years ago for mine & was plus postage.
    Did come from the US too ,might be real or a good copy I don't know .

300 us or thereabouts would scream fake to me . The big mail order firms in the states have prices around the 1400/1500 us price for those scopes .