Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: Fast twist 243 Criterion

Quote Originally Posted by Tentman View Post
    Hardy barrel on a Bergara action. It has been very fustrating, its a beaut smooth action and i put a really good trigger in it. But it shoots mostly groups of 30-40mm, and I know I normally shoot a lot better than that . . .
    There’s your first problem. Barrel isn’t good enough. The cartridge choice is fine.
    7mmsaum and Moa Hunter like this.

I thought hardy barrels had a good reputation.

I know of several (in this calibre) that shoot ranging from very well to superbly.

Every barrelmaker has some better than others. It’s an art as well as a science. And cost and reputation no guarantee…
    Tentman and Longrun like this.

I never saw anything to suggest the barrel was a complete lemon. It shot some good groups, some average, but nothing terrible. Did two powder workups with 2209 and 2213sc and got similar results with both and it was consistent across multiple range trips.

Keep it clean. It seemed to shoot best after a couple of foulers. And you can test to confirm but it could be that it goes to crap when it starts getting hot. Not sure how new (or old) the barrel was when you got it and my understanding is Hardy's have had very mixed reviews in the past. The action and stock are sound. I'd still give it a bedding job for peace of mind though.

Definitely wouldn't write of 6mm "crudmoor" just because of the runaround this particular rifle has been giving you. Suggest speaking to trueflite if you are determined to rebarrel though and explain what's been going on with it - they may have some additional insight despite it not being their product.
    Micky Duck likes this.
    Resident 6.5 Grendel aficionado.

Your 6CM woes are nothing to do with the cartridge, but you already know that.

I have a cheap and cheerful Howa in 6CM that shot a 0.3 MOA group immediately after I had done a half arsed 10 shot barrel “break in” process.

Since then it’s been an absolute farkin’ laser.

There will be something wrong with that rifle of yours. But you already know that too!
    Fisherman, Micky Duck and HandH like this.
    Just...say...the...word

I run a 1:8 trueflite barrel in 243. Started with berger 87gr vld. Easy shooting and setup.
    Then stepped up to berger 105gr hunting vld's for larger game and ranges, never could get them to shoot as well as I would expect.
    Changed to hornady 108gr eld-m and bingo the world is a happy place again.
    Z

Quote Originally Posted by Tentman View Post
    Gidday Folks - I'm pondering a fast twist 243 .
    . after a difficult 6mm CM experience that I'd like to set behind me.

A fast high BC 6mm projectile still ticks a lot of my boxes - and I see there is Criterion fast twist barrel on offer.

So tell me about your experiences with Criterion barrels and fast twist 243's

Cheers
    There is a dude on this Forum who has quite a reputation. He is from Matakohe. He is very "slippery". His name is 95gr Targex. Get some. Watch the brutal extinction of life either with 2209 or 2213sc. No need for any fast twist barrel. That pill does it so well out of 10 twist. You laugh. The deer dont. They die. Quality from Northland.

What do the groups look like? Consistent round and regular - or a pattern of multiple small groups in the mix of the bigger 'group'? This for the misbehaving specimen...

Its a hard thing when a rifle doesn't perform - kind of becomes a self fulfilling thing where you expect it to go at a certain level and it always does it to the point that you don't know if its you or the rifle or the weather or it's ammo - then you grab another setup and get cloverleafs. Pain in the arse!