Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree38Likes

Thread: FIREARMS LICENCE RENEWAL UPDATE

FIREARMS LICENCE RENEWAL UPDATE

Spoke to an Arms Officer recently: he indicated the backlog of renewals created by Covid (vettors couldn't get out into the community) has diminished considerably, and renewals are taking 3 months.
    Micky Duck and BSA270 like this.

Any truth to tge rumours renewals are going to cost circa 800$? And new licenses north of 1k?

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Cartman View Post
    Any truth to tge rumours renewals are going to cost circa 800$? And new licenses north of 1k?

That would be disastrous.

phew, mine expires in 2029

Quote Originally Posted by Cartman View Post

There is no decision on that yet. Those figures were the highest of three options and I doubt that they will be chosen. When you are given three options the highest one is often there to make the middle one look better better.
    GPM.
    Cartman, 6x47, Ranger 888 and 3 others like this.

I went through the renewal process last year. From application to new licence in the mail was less than 3 months. I had friends that had been waiting 12 months for their interviews for renewals who couldn't understand why mine was so quick. I think possibly I was going to fail the renewal (due to stricter tolerances now and ratbaggish behavior when I was younger) which would have given me a few months to sell my firearms before my current licence had expired.

Should be interesting on what they decide to charge. I didn't realize that the new FAL was only valid for 5 years until someone came to my place to collect something and his new License expired the same year as my old one. Half the duration effectually means double the price, and then whatever increase they decide on.
    Micky Duck, Ruawai and TimC like this.

Quote Originally Posted by No good names left View Post
    Should be interesting on what they decide to charge. I didn't realize that the new FAL was only valid for 5 years until someone came to my place to collect something and his new License expired the same year as my old one. Half the duration effectually means double the price, and then whatever increase they decide on.
    I'm pretty sure a new license is only 5 years, a renewal is still 10 years from what I understand.
    #DANNYCENT

OK, Thanks Danny

Just been thru the renewal process- application submitted end of April. Interviews and safe inspection done mid May. Email come thru saying licence renewal approved and licence in the post in 2 weeks eta.
    See that the post date the renewal dates giving the full 10 years.
    Mine was expiring Jan 2024 (applied early to avoid increase and delays) and new expiry is Jan 2034 - yay.

I am Waikato based and the process has been very seamless easy to follow and would recommend any one who has a licence expiring with in 12 months to go get it done now.
    Micky Duck and outlander like this.

Quote Originally Posted by TimC View Post
    I went through the renewal process last year. From application to new licence in the mail was less than 3 months. I had friends that had been waiting 12 months for their interviews for renewals who couldn't understand why mine was so quick. I think possibly I was going to fail the renewal (due to stricter tolerances now and ratbaggish behavior when I was younger) which would have given me a few months to sell my firearms before my current licence had expired.
    How did you get on? Did they bring up any of the historical issues? I'm in a similar situation.

No, but they do check you police record and mentioned your last infringement etc… they will also ask you what your last infringement was to check your honesty.

If you have historical issues you may get asked quite a few questions around a topic of physical violence or if arms related like poaching or complaints with using a firearm, I suspect it would be a bigger hurdle to get past. Have all your facts and evidence ready, including any evidence on non repeated offending

Quote Originally Posted by Sika stag View Post
    No, but they do check you police record and mentioned your last infringement etc… they will also ask you what your last infringement was to check your honesty.

If you have historical issues you may get asked quite a few questions around a topic of physical violence or if arms related like poaching or complaints with using a firearm, I suspect it would be a bigger hurdle to get past. Have all your facts and evidence ready, including any evidence on non repeated offending
    That's reassuring

Gone But Not Forgotten
    Quote Originally Posted by dannyb View Post
    I'm pretty sure a new license is only 5 years, a renewal is still 10 years from what I understand.
    That's correct. The renewal of the 5 year licence will then revert to 10 years thereafter, unless the legislation gets changed of course, which is possible. The logic given for the 5 year licence for newbies is that most firearms offences are committed by a licence holder within the first 5 years.
    Bagheera, Micky Duck and dannyb like this.

Quote Originally Posted by TimC View Post
    Mine was just under 3 months mid last year. I thought it was because I was squeaky clean ! I did have all details of my speeding ticket on hand and they cross check it on their screen during the interview to make you nervous. Also because I filled out every box on the form. I had no complications like a second home, campervan or flatmates with access. Those are more than half of the 42 pages so its not as bad as it sounds. The Waikato vetting seems to have been very thorough, impartial and efficient.

Essentially, everyone with a FAL has a good reason now to tone down rat baggish behaviour.
    Sika stag and Moa Hunter like this.