Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree73Likes

Thread: Firearms Licence Application Update - 4 October 22

Firearms Licence Application Update - 4 October 22

So I just received this email from the Firearm licensing office...

Dear Licence Holder

I want to provide you with an update on how we are managing firearms licence applications.

Our priority is to reduce the firearms licence applications in the backlog, with the aim of having most of these applications resolved by 31 March 2023.

Police acknowledges the delay in processing times for firearms licence applications. Several factors have contributed to delays. These include strengthened licensing processes to mitigate the risk of harm in our communities, and COVID-19.

The dedicated Historical File Support Team was set up to address the backlog of firearms licence applications. We have expanded the team substantially to help reduce outstanding applications in the long-standing pipeline. This is in addition to the increase already made to our permanent Arms staff workforce.

It is a priority for our team to process these applications.

The priorities for applications are:

- renewals with endorsements,
    - other renewals,
    - reinstatements (this is where someone has previously held a licence and it has expired)
    - new applications.

As we complete the renewals we will deal with the historical new applications when they are in the same geographic location.

Please get in touch with our team if you require your licence for work purposes.

Our process

Our team may reach out to you by phone or text. Texts are sent on Fridays and their purpose is to advise you that someone from Police will be in touch in the next 5 working days to organise an appointment to meet with you.

For a new application there is a minimum of three in person interviews.

Things that you can do to support us

When our team reaches out to you to make appointments, please make yourself available. Where possible we may ask you to have your referees meet the Police staff at your address so all the interviews can be completed in one day, plus the security checks.

Our team is working to a clear process and timeframe, and we ask that you please work with us.

Please ensure that your firearms storage security meets the current guidelines. In recent months some people have failed the security inspection because their storage has not been of robust construction, or it has not been fixed properly to two surfaces i.e. the floor and a stud in the wall.

Should you have any queries, please do not hesitate to contact the team on: support.fal@police.govt.nz

Kind regards
    So my question is - what is the definition of a "historical new applicant"? My application was submitted in January this year, will mine (and others submitted this year) be completed after 31 March?

At least you got a good explanatory letter of whats going on.Good luck with the process.
    Bagheera and Micky Duck like this.

This sounds like a clear case of alternative truths..........
    keneff likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by small_caliber View Post
    No mention that the interviews can only be scheduled during business hours
    You're right. It seems like they will try work with you when it comes to making an appointment.
    10-Ring likes this.

Gone But Not Forgotten
    Quote Originally Posted by small_caliber View Post
    No mention that the interviews can only be scheduled during business hours
    That depends on the vettor in your particular area. I know some are rostered on in weekends and some will do evening visits.
    Micky Duck likes this.

One of our sons in Akld waited 14 months for ‘A’ cat renewal.

Gone But Not Forgotten
    Quote Originally Posted by Ingrid 51 View Post
    One of our sons in Akld waited 14 months for ‘A’ cat renewal.
    Vettors weren't allowed to work during Jacinda's lockdown above level 1.

Mate got one of these the other day. Been waiting a year already - while I feel plesaed that they are recognising that there is a problem I cannot see them fixing it by March as the 'license bulge' doesn't drop off for another year or two yet! Plus, the registration BS is due to start next year and a LOT of people I'm talking with are suggesting that the online entry is just not an acceptable option for them for a variety of reasons (and not just the obvious they don't like the registry one). If they all submit manual forms requiring someone in the arms office to do the entry that just will not work.

Iv been waiting almost 2 years. I applied in December 2020. One of my good friends got interviewed 2 weeks ago, then I got a email a week later saying "Unfortunately he doesn't qualify as a referee"

so now I have to to provide a new REF. Its a joke! you can clearly see they don't want any of us having firearms by any means possible.

I believe that "historical new applicant" is those who have not held an NZ FAL before
    Micky Duck likes this.

Ive been waiting now 8 months, licence expires in 6 weeks. I have been in communication with the arms officer here in Hamilton with no clear reassurance that they will get to me before my current licence expires. I suggested that Hipkins said now about 6 weeks ago in an interview that they may be giving folk extensions, but the police know nothing. Policy ideas on the hoof with no plan to followup! Muppets the lot of them. Our arms officer is only working normal work hours, so at some point I've got to sort me, the wife and my referee to be at home at the same time when we all work. Again total muppets. I suspect they'd prefer we all gave up and sold the firearms.
    veitnamcam, 308 and CovertHunter like this.

I suspect the arms officers and vettors are doing the best they can and the political leaders are the muppets
    Grasshoppa likes this.

Shit I have heard some horror stories of people waiting such a long time for their license!
    I sent my renewal paperwork away about 6 weeks ago and just had all of the interviews completed last night so now I'm just waiting for the new license to turn up in the post
    Bay Tyres-Driving the best deal since ages ago

Quote Originally Posted by GDMP View Post
    I was 'declined' to be a referee for a workmate because allegedly I did not know her or her family situation well enough (have worked with her for coming on 6 years now).But another workmate asked me a couple weeks back to be a referee and was told that was now OK....apparently there had been a lot of complaints and the 'policy' had now changed.Oh yeah....we all work in the same firearms related business so the local Arms office know us fairly well anyway.
    This sounds like a stalling tactic, so police can put the application on ice with justification that it isn't their fault, messing with the stats showing how far behind they really are.

Gone But Not Forgotten
    Quote Originally Posted by Bol Tackshin View Post
    This sounds like a stalling tactic, so police can put the application on ice with justification that it isn't their fault, messing with the stats showing how far behind they really are.
    I think you're barking up the wrong tree there. The police or more more precisely the AO would want applications completed and out of the way. It has to be done sooner or later anyway; there is no advantage to the police or anyone else by delaying applications on purpose. A referee has to be someone that knows the applicant well for at least two years. You could know someone for 20 years but not know them as well as someone who has only known them for three months.
    Bagheera likes this.