Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree57Likes

Thread: Firearms license advice

SiB
    Re anti-depressants

That you acted and asked here shows rational thinking.

That those around you are aware you use ADs will no doubt be fully supportive too

You can only do your best. Tell the truth.

If, just if the Arms Officer raises it as a concern, ask constructive questions; eg “can you advise me what information I might also provide to reassure you regarding this”.

The screening Qs asked to your sponsors are quite focussed on mental health. If they’re 100% confident in their support of your application that goes a long way.
    veitnamcam, Angus_A and Danny like this.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Angus_A View Post
    Will anti depressants make chances of getting the license problematic?
    Now that you've mentioned it on the internet it might.

Just declare it. Unless you want to take the chance of lying to the cops on an official form.

If you get found out doing that you're probably fucked.
    Tommy, 40mm, Cordite and 1 others like this.

Angus, I look forward to reading that you aced the test and your licence is in the mail.
    It’s been a long time getting to this point and I wish you well.

SiB
    The other point worth keeping in mind Angus is that you’re not alone.... there’s a whole lot of us will know someone who like you, appreciates the fact that there are medications that bring life back into perspective and simply enable the ‘worry demons’ to be quietened.
    Angus_A likes this.

Gone But Not Forgotten
    I think some people here are getting confused between the Police Safety Test (some of which is still conducted by the Mountain Safety Council) and the vetting interview for a firearms licence. Most people sit and pass the safety test before they apply for a licence.

All good advice though as regards the vetting process.
    veitnamcam, Angus_A and Tommy like this.

SiB
    Yes. Good point. They are separate and distinct.

I'm going to add my father as one of my references as he's a mental health professional and will be able to vouch for me i think.
    Unsure who to pick for my second, can you have more than 2?
    "A party without cake is just a meeting" - Juila Child

Angus the test is just a test nothing about your personal situation such as where you live or medication etc enters the equation.
    Just learn up, your posts indicate an intelligent sensitive person with a sense of humor so the test should be no trouble its not ncea so ace it athen boast about it here. PS there is no dress code so a new shirt may be overkill.

PPS If I was running the course possum rendang or whores pasta would assure a pass mark (-:
    Last edited by Marty Henry; 17-04-2018 at 07:39 PM. Reason: PPS
    Angus_A likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Dorkus View Post
    Don't worry about studying. When I sat mine they handed out the exams and said "if you are unsure just leave it blank and bring it up to the front at the end", they then proceeded to coach people through what answer to put down while they marked it in front of you - Any answer you didn't know they gave you multiple attempts (noting it is a multi-choice exam) to get it right. If you still didn't know the answer they would tell you the answer and then mark it as correct.

And they wonder why idiots are shooting people.
    Thats is exactly what happened to me too. pretty insulting really.
    outlander likes this.
    Use enough gun

SiB
    The second should preferably be a firearms license holder, and even better, someone you have hunted with.

Maturity counts, so personally I’d suggest you avoid asking someone ‘young’. Someone your parents age is good Your boss/foreman can be an option. I’ve referenced a couple of my employees.

Yes your dad sounds ideal. I believe you have to nominate one family member anyways.....

Make sure to ask, and discuss your intended application with whoever you nominate. They have to sign off the paperwork anyway but caution them the vetting process can take a while. Months.
    10-Ring and Marty Henry like this.

About antidepressant, bottom line is you get it from your doctor, that means when you fell ill... you sought professional help. That is one big safety tick in your box.

Depression as such not a bar, a real history of suicidality or violence not good news. When I mean real suicidality, we are talking more than just thinking it would be great to beamed out of here by Scotty, but more active suicidality -- like toying with plans, buying rope, writing a farewell note, etc. In the end, once you have passed your test, you'll get someone interviewing you, your partner, your referee. You'll probably be asked to have your doctor send a note to the Arms Officer dealing with your application. I had some history myself, so had my GP send a note to the AO. I asked my GP to just write what he thought best and send it to AO without running it by me first.

Coming back to the exam, the questions are about SAFETY SAFETY SAFETY.
    Go for the SAFETY answer, not the answer that seems right but is not about safety.
    E.g. semi auto rifle drawbacks:
    (1) every time you pull the trigger they will fire.
    (2) because you can do quick follow-up shots, shooters may take less care when taking aim at an animal.
    Which question is the correct one? Well, in real life both (1) and (2) can be real problems with semi-autos. But this is an exam about Firearm SAFETY, so the correct answer in a SAFETY context is (1). Any consolation, I remember that one because I got it "wrong" and selected (2).

Good luck. If you are a smoker, smoke a couple cigs immediately before the course and exam - it will sharpen you. If you are not a smoker, don't.

In the end the course it not about being clever, it is about being safe. It is not a firearms course, it is a firearms safety course. Don't lose sight of that.
    Angus_A and timattalon like this.
    An itch ... is ... a desire to scratch

Quote Originally Posted by SiB View Post
    The second should preferably be a firearms license holder, and even better, someone you have hunted with.

Maturity counts, so personally I’d suggest you avoid asking someone ‘young’. Someone your parents age is good Your boss/foreman can be an option. I’ve referenced a couple of my employees.

Yes your dad sounds ideal. I believe you have to nominate one family member anyways.....

Make sure to ask, and discuss your intended application with whoever you nominate. They have to sign off the paperwork anyway but caution them the vetting process can take a while. Months.
    I was going to use my girlfriends father as my second, he's been a license holder for 30+ years, a range safety officer and he and i hunt together frequently. In fact he's the main reason i really kicked my process to get the license into high gear.
    Cordite likes this.
    "A party without cake is just a meeting" - Juila Child

Quote Originally Posted by Moutere View Post
    Angus, I look forward to reading that you aced the test and your licence is in the mail.
    It’s been a long time getting to this point and I wish you well.
    I bet you are gonna cook up a mean feast for all your pals on the forum after you blast your first meat pack! maybe a meat cake?
    Angus_A, Tommy and Cordite like this.
    Use enough gun

All questions refer back in some way to the 7 basic safety rules. Know them off by heart don't stress and you will be fine
    timattalon likes this.

Girlfriends father sounds like the perfect choice as a ref.
    As the lads have said, don't get wound up over the test, just study it and go for it. Guy getting marked next to me got a second pop at a question, he got it wrong second time so that was him gone. most were dressed as if they were going straight into the bush after the test, so dress sense didn't seem to matter.
    Cordite and outlander like this.