Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Like Tree148Likes

Thread: First hunting rifle

a lot don't like tikka but for real they are probably the best value for money I love mine
    in all honestey you nont need to spend shitloads on the hunting rifle innless your shooting long range a good scope is more important there's a lot of good options around that 700 mark these days

but tikka is a good option

refer to gadgetman for good old100%commonsense.
    will any animal taken refuse to lie down because they got shot by the wrong rifle -not bloody likely!
    Dougie and Pengy like this.

No no no, I know for a fact that deer would much rather be shot with a Sako instead of a cheap ass wheat bix box gun such as a tikka. Annnd you'll shoot more coz they are more awesome. Don't listen to common sense, that's boring.If we all settled for mediocre we'd all have tikkas and drive round in Datsuns. Listen to your heart and be happy, much more happy and cooler.
    SlimySquirrel and Pixie Z like this.

Caretaker
    Quote Originally Posted by Tommy View Post
    Its not a Sako
    A big fast bullet beats a little fast bullet every time

First hunting rifle

Quote Originally Posted by stug View Post
    Look for a second hand sako 75 if they are in your budget.
    Yes to this. I have nothing against the Tikka but for stuff all more you can own a Sako like the above and they are pure quality in comparison.

Ps. I love them Kahles mate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Dan M

Just go n buy a gun and start shooting. Selecting a rifle like a knife is a very personal choice. If you likes it buy it.

Quote Originally Posted by 7mmsaum View Post
    Its not a Sako
    It's a Japanese Sako....

Sent from my SM-G360G using Tapatalk
    mikee, Frosty, timattalon and 1 others like this.
    "Here's the deal I'm the best there is. Plain and simple. I wake up in the morning and I piss excellence."

are you a bush hobbit or a tops/open country type of hunter?????
    if you intend to spend your time hunting in the bush where ranges are going to be 99% under 100 yards you could well be better off with a rifle you don't mind knocking around a bit/aren't afraid to use. maybe find a cheaper 2nd hand rifle and save up your coin for the Sako you lust after. you will be out hunting and gaining good skills with cheap rifle that can always sit in safe as a spare/loaner/crap weather rifle when you get the new toy.

Quote Originally Posted by Shootm View Post
    You're on the right track by buying a decent scope and then a rifle. A lot of guys buy a rifle and put on a shit scope because they have no money left for a decent scope. A tikka is a sensible choice. You can't go wrong with a .308 either.

Welcome to the forum.
    You seem to have taken advice from someone with good sense.
    I believe shootm is still using a 1960's vintage Kahles and on a .308 ?

If you've go straight to a fairly expensive scope I don't think you will be happy long term with a Tikka; you're well up the curve of diminishing returns past the point where you can shoot the most deer for the least money - you are heading for satisfaction of ownership.

Tikka is at least as accurate as sako and equally as reliable. Just as good if not better for shooting deer actually. The differences are in ease of use and economy of materials (eg action fitted to .308 not .3006) and no concerns about remnant plastic parts, 3 shot mag, ally rings and so on. A car analogy could be new corrolla vs new impreza. However, it's lose lose to wait until you can save up for a sako.

A left field alternative, if you choose to space out your spending, would be to buy the best no.3* or Mk 4 SMLE you can lay your hands on. If it's got the old parker hale style bridge mounting block then get CZ 19mm dovetail rings. Lay in a stack of factory ammo and don't bother reloading till you go to .308. Grouping will be only 2 or 3 inches at 100 yd but it will be a pleasure to use, reliable rugged and light weight, until you get a sako. The SMLE is a highly refined design, a classic like the several iterations of sako. If you're an independent practical minded person, you won't be in a hurry to trade up.

If you buy a good quality second hand rifle and look after it you will not lose money on it. It will get you started and once you have a bit of experience you will be in a better position to decide exactly what you want and what suits you.
    Spudattack, kotuku and Tommy like this.
    Experience. What you get just after you needed it.

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    are you a bush hobbit or a tops/open country type of hunter?????
    if you intend to spend your time hunting in the bush where ranges are going to be 99% under 100 yards you could well be better off with a rifle you don't mind knocking around a bit/aren't afraid to use. maybe find a cheaper 2nd hand rifle and save up your coin for the Sako you lust after. you will be out hunting and gaining good skills with cheap rifle that can always sit in safe as a spare/loaner/crap weather rifle when you get the new toy.
    I find that really funny...go buy a fancy expensive rifle ....oh know the weathers a bit rubbish let's leave it the safe and take the crap/rougher rifle.... As I as I'm concerned you buy a rifle use it gets a scratch or a ding ...so what it's a tool and it's made to be used. My two cents worth.

veitnamcam and Dougie like this.

Cheers for all of the good responses.
    It sounds like I wouldn't be making the wrong decision either way but it really comes down to how much I'm willing to spend. I'm in very open country with not a lot of bush and it's as dry as a dry thing so SS or blued wouldn't make much difference. I'm not concerned about getting scratches on it. I'd be precious about it the first few times I go out but wouldn't worry about scratches after that, adds character. Dad already has a .308 with all the reloading gear so there's nothing to worry about there. At this point I'm still leaning towards a Sako but I'll keep an eye out for a second hand 75.

Quote Originally Posted by tiroatedson View Post
    I find that really funny...go buy a fancy expensive rifle ....oh know the weathers a bit rubbish let's leave it the safe and take the crap/rougher rifle.... As I as I'm concerned you buy a rifle use it gets a scratch or a ding ...so what it's a tool and it's made to be used. My two cents worth.

Ive got an elcheapho bushpig rifle that goes when I'm anticipating crappy bush or wanting to maybe loan it out
    the "good rifle" comes out on open country trips and when targeting animals when range may be longer.

if this fella buys a cheaper rifle as a work hack he can chop it short and keep the good one full length and if cunning share a single suppressor between the two,having best of both worlds...something to knock about with and a good one for longer shots/open country or the like.

bit like taking the Landover to hunt on Clements road when you could've taken the Ferrari.

@Freezer are you still selling your savage 308 with suppressor I believe that would be a great 1st rifle for someone