Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Like Tree148Likes

Thread: First hunting rifle

Theres so many options these days that are affordable and work well, many guys taking up hunting now that will never know the joy of lugging a 303 around the hills, bit of a shame really!

So you can buy a rifle that's $500 less than a tikka and will do everything it will do ...... HOWA. It may not have a barrel made in the Sako factory but I am yet to shoot a HOWA that doesn't shoot better than I can!. As Dougie said ; what fits you.
    timattalon and Steve123 like this.

I would start with a model "anything cheap" because if its your first hunting rifle then if you are anything like me you will soon see something else you think would be more betterer and once you get that on the storey will go
    gadgetman likes this.
    All those with dogs waiting no longer fear death. Those with many dogs waiting even welcome it in it's time.

Caretaker - Gone But Not Forgotten jakewire's Avatar
    You could put your kahles on this
    Rifles : Zastava Sporting, M85
    Keep saving in the mean time for your Sako, you will only lose 300 when the time comes and have more than that in hunting experience
    Don't give the sako dream away, just manage it.
    gadgetman and mikee like this.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

A7?

Nice a7 for sale on this forum @Frosty is listing
    Danny likes this.

Whats up with this buy the cheapest bit of shit you can coz its your first?? Nah bro if you want a Sako 75 or 85 just get one of those, When I brought my first rifle I got talked into getting something I didn't really want and sold it after not having it long. Found a nice 75 2nd hand and I still have it 12yrs later. Cheers for the plug @223nut but the A7 is a Tikka really haha.

Quote Originally Posted by Frosty View Post
    Whats up with this buy the cheapest bit of shit you can coz its your first?? Nah bro if you want a Sako 75 or 85 just get one of those, When I brought my first rifle I got talked into getting something I didn't really want and sold it after not having it long. Found a nice 75 2nd hand and I still have it 12yrs later. Cheers for the plug @223nut but the A7 is a Tikka really haha.
    More of a calibre thing really, most guys use one for a while when they start out before switching to something else, a problem that is easily solved by just buying a 270 to start with.
    Micky Duck likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan_Songhurst View Post
    ...a problem that is easily solved by just buying a 270 to start with.
    I guess you don't feel the need to try anything different when you've already given up on life?
    veitnamcam, tetawa, mikee and 5 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Frosty View Post
    Well I started with a Sako 270 , Sold it and brought M700 a 25/06 mountain rifle, Sold that for a 7-08 long before they were the "Aucklander Special" Sold that for a Handgun, Sold that for another handgun, sold that for another handgun........................................... .....sold last handgun and brought a shotgun and a M700 in 6.5Saum.

If I have know to just keep the original Sako I would have saved a fortune
    jakewire, tetawa, BRADS and 1 others like this.
    All those with dogs waiting no longer fear death. Those with many dogs waiting even welcome it in it's time.

Quote Originally Posted by GravelBen View Post
    I guess you don't feel the need to try anything different when you've already given up on life?
    Post of the week

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Shootm, tetawa, mikee and 2 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan_Songhurst View Post
    More of a calibre thing really, most guys use one for a while when they start out before switching to something else, a problem that is easily solved by just buying a 270 to start with.
    Haha what a crack up.

I want to buy one rifle and be happy with it rather than buying one and deciding I don't like it and having to getting another.
    I read that some 85s had a problem ejecting, is that still a problem or is it sorted now?
    Tommy likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Shanes215 View Post
    I want to buy one rifle and be happy with it rather than buying one and deciding I don't like it and having to getting another.
    Where's the fun in that?! If I'd done that with girls.... Well, several dozen women would be less disappointed
    Fawls likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Shanes215 View Post
    I read that some 85s had a problem ejecting, is that still a problem or is it sorted now?
    Mate, after 65 plus years of rifles believe me " there will always be something better"
    BRADS, 25/08IMP and Tommy like this.